Alfred Koroma to Akron

Oh my gosh #3 in the country, that's huge for us. Is this Darren's replacement?

Exactly.

QUOTE(AkronZip54321 @ Nov 28 2011, 08:03 PM)

Souders will step in next to Barson at centerback, and being behind Trapp and Gallego and it front of Meves gives us a good core to start with. Need to find a goalscorer more then a left back IMO.

Well, there you have it. :)

He was awesome on FCD's U-12 team. :D

Haha I can only image how far he has come since then!

I am seriously so pumped for next year right now. I don't care if Akron ever gets another football coach. Next year Porter is going to lead the US Olympic team to London (fingers crossed) and then come back and lead an Akron team with the talent and experience to reach the College Cup and win another title. Any time we lose a guy who was good enough to start for Akron, that loss hurts, but I think the only really tough losses are Darren obviously and Luke to some extent. On top of Koroma we are bringing in the #6 and #11 ranked players on TDS (at least, maybe more to come?). I know ranking often don't mean a lot, but it seems like from what we have seen if guys are in or around the top 10, they are the real deal (Trapp, Gallego, Yedlin, Valentin, Kitchen, etc.). Instead of having to build a completely new team from a few remaining parts, Porter will only have to fill in a few new parts to an almost completely returning team. It should be a good year.

Koroma may well be the best US striker in this age pool. He expects to start, he expects to be an impact freshman of the Zakuani/Bunbury class. Porter, however will make him earn his spot in the lineup. There's no doubt that the recruiting for a new top line is just beginning. I'm expecting some international flavor once again to appear on the horizon. Here is Koroma's bio from the U17 World Cup team: Note his favorite basketall team. Is LeBron recruiting for Caleb now? :P

While on the recruiting and youth classification subject: I didn't notice anyone writing about the incredible job of the US U17 club in last weekend's Nike Int'l Friendlies. I watched the Turkey and Brasil games, and long story short, "Holy Crap"! I've never seen a US youth squad look more skilled or creative than what that team showed in Florida. I've not been a big fan of how Wilmer Cabrera has used his talent on the international stage, but somehow the USA has grown an incredible surplus of age group stars -- as this team had very few players remaining from either the 2010 residency group or the last World Cup squad. Would others who watched care to deliver their opinions? Frankly, I can't wait to see the future development of the remarkable striker Junior Flores. This kid comes from the DC area I understand. And I hear he's just fifteen now!? He could be the next big American star. I don't expect any collegiate coaches to have a shot at his talents.