63 replies to this topic

#1 Crew8

Crew8

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

It will be interesting to see where Darren decides to go. MLS or Europe?

Mattocks ready to skip MLS for Europe - Soccer By Ives

#2 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

If i see one more "Akron University" i'm going to snap.

Posted Image

#3 Doug Snyder

Doug Snyder

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

LOL Paul Winters is the odds on favorite to be the new HC. He played here in the mid to late 70's Everyone referred to the school as "Akron U" back then. It was in the late 70's to early 80's that there was a push to get people using U of A as it was considered more respectable. The idea was to improve the image and reputation. So......if Winters is hired...don't be surprised if he makes a slip once or twice ;) :nono: :wall:
"We will shoot for perfection... but nobody's perfect. But we'll shoot for perfection and we'll settle for excellence."

#4 bobbyake

bobbyake

100% Zip fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Interests:The Zips, Accounting, business

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

I'm hoping there's a chance he'll join the MLS.
Forget about the Buckeyes, Go Zips!!
Twitter: AkronsBobert
Rubber City Brigade FB & Twitter
Posted Image

#5 Z.I.P.

Z.I.P.

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

LOL Paul Winters is the odds on favorite to be the new HC. He played here in the mid to late 70's Everyone referred to the school as "Akron U" back then. It was in the late 70's to early 80's that there was a push to get people using U of A as it was considered more respectable. The idea was to improve the image and reputation. So......if Winters is hired...don't be surprised if he makes a slip once or twice ;) :nono: :wall:

GUYS, GUYS! Look at the top heading...this is the "Soccer" forum. If you want to have a debate about semantics and solely American sports, please PM In The Zone from across the pond. ;)

And BTW, as a born-and-bread Akronite, I can testify, it was only when the number of non-Akronite graduates of UA climbed to near the number of Akronites that this subject became a clamor. Akron U is not the proper name of the university, it's just what we locals call it. If I were a former Massachussets businessman I might bet something like 10 grand that RfR44 gradded from a HS outside Summit County. Anybody wanna take me up on that -- I mean anybody want to back me with house money? :D

#6 Z.I.P.

Z.I.P.

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

Okay, back to the subject at hand, namely the Beautiful Game as it's played in the capitol of American Collegiate Soccer. Those who have observed Akron strikers over the past four or more years, please provide me your opinion of how Darren Mattocks stacks up against the other recent Akron MLS-graduated strikers, namely Steve Zakuani, Teal Bunbury and Darlington Nagbe. Of that group, I must put Mattocks in fourth place. He has great pace, and has proved he can score versus US college opposition. However, he lacks the physicality of Bunbury (or frankly the other two -- this is his biggest weakness, IMO), the touch of Nagbe, or the pure football instincts and on-ball grace of Zakuani. Mattocks may be the best available forward in this year's draft, but IMHO this is the weakest draft overall in the past at least five years. Please discuss amongst yourselves, as I've become verklempt.

#7 PorterForPresident

PorterForPresident

Junior Zippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Okay, back to the subject at hand, namely the Beautiful Game as it's played in the capitol of American Collegiate Soccer.

Those who have observed Akron strikers over the past four or more years, please provide me your opinion of how Darren Mattocks stacks up against the other recent Akron MLS-graduated strikers, namely Steve Zakuani, Teal Bunbury and Darlington Nagbe. Of that group, I must put Mattocks in fourth place. He has great pace, and has proved he can score versus US college opposition. However, he lacks the physicality of Bunbury (or frankly the other two -- this is his biggest weakness, IMO), the touch of Nagbe, or the pure football instincts and on-ball grace of Zakuani. Mattocks may be the best available forward in this year's draft, but IMHO this is the weakest draft overall in the past at least five years. Please discuss amongst yourselves, as I've become verklempt.

Definitely agree with you there. Unfortunately, I don't see him doing too well anywhere he goes. At least, not right away. He simply wouldn't fit in the MLS and probably would get muscled around. At Akron he doesn't seem to be able to finish very well. He is incredible at putting himself in position to score, but it seems like it usually takes him several clear 1v1s with the keeper to put one in. In Europe, he will need to learn to finish his chances when he gets them, because they won't come around as often. I feel like another year of college would be better for him, but I'm pretty much 100% sure he wouldn't even consider that. Don't get me wrong, he has potential to be an amazing striker, but he definitely needs more time to get there.

#8 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

GUYS, GUYS! Look at the top heading...this is the "Soccer" forum. If you want to have a debate about semantics and solely American sports, please PM In The Zone from across the pond. ;)

And BTW, as a born-and-bread Akronite, I can testify, it was only when the number of non-Akronite graduates of UA climbed to near the number of Akronites that this subject became a clamor. Akron U is not the proper name of the university, it's just what we locals call it. If I were a former Massachussets businessman I might bet something like 10 grand that RfR44 gradded from a HS outside Summit County. Anybody wanna take me up on that -- I mean anybody want to back me with house money? :D

LOL....my ZN.o profile says i'm from Wadsworth so yeah...good call.

But hey, i'm right on the border (as in 3/4 mile) so I might as well be an Akronite/Summit County resident.

Posted Image

#9 fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:futbol, Bovidae, grass

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:42 AM

Having literally grown up with it, the Akron U moniker does not bother me at all.

I rank our recent forwards:

1. Zakuani - speed
2. Nagbe - strength
3. Bunbury - size
4. Mattocks – grace

Mattocks is not yet physically strong enough to step into a professional side and score consistently. Recall how future pro Charles Rodriguez of Charlotte manhandled Darren. It would benefit him greatly to stay another year at Akron, to drill more and hit the weights. But all indications are that he will bolt for the pros.

I hope Mattocks goes to the MLS so that we can watch him develop. If he signs with a smaller European club, we may never hear from him again.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

#10 Zip_ME87

Zip_ME87

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

Okay, back to the subject at hand, namely the Beautiful Game as it's played in the capitol of American Collegiate Soccer.

Those who have observed Akron strikers over the past four or more years, please provide me your opinion of how Darren Mattocks stacks up against the other recent Akron MLS-graduated strikers, namely Steve Zakuani, Teal Bunbury and Darlington Nagbe. Of that group, I must put Mattocks in fourth place. He has great pace, and has proved he can score versus US college opposition. However, he lacks the physicality of Bunbury (or frankly the other two -- this is his biggest weakness, IMO), the touch of Nagbe, or the pure football instincts and on-ball grace of Zakuani. Mattocks may be the best available forward in this year's draft, but IMHO this is the weakest draft overall in the past at least five years. Please discuss amongst yourselves, as I've become verklempt.

I agree with your observations in ranking Darren 4th in this group. Darren has the speed but lacks the creativity, IMHO, which is why he struggled against teams in the post-season tournaments, not because of the weather. (It was rather warm in December 2010 in Santa Barbara as I recall.)

EDIT:

In thinking about this more, physical strength may be the better observation. It's difficult to be creative when you're being double-teamed and manhandled.

Mattocks is not yet physically strong enough to step into a professional side and score consistently. Recall how future pro Charles Rodriguez of Charlotte manhandled Darren. It would benefit him greatly to stay another year at Akron, to drill more and hit the weights. But all indications are that he will bolt for the pros.

#11 Crew8

Crew8

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

Having literally grown up with it, the Akron U moniker does not bother me at all.

I rank our recent forwards:

1. Zakuani - speed
2. Nagbe - strength
3. Bunbury - size
4. Mattocks – grace

I hope Mattocks goes to the MLS so that we can watch him develop. If he signs with a smaller European club, we may never hear from him again.

It would be good for Darren to stay and develop more, but IMO he has more chances of developing at a higher level somewhere else than here in Akron. That's the one issue with college soccer, you're not playing all year long or playing in competitive games. You have the PDL, training invites, spring practice, its really not enough. He's ready and in need of the next level of training either in Europe or MLS. Even with the MLS, you're not training as long as European clubs. A reason Jurgen Klinsmann has been pushing for many players to go to training invites in Europe during the offseason.

If Darren goes to Europe, I don't think it will be the last time we'll ever hear of him. And if the match is on television somewhere in the world, I'll be sure to find a link.

#12 Crew8

Crew8

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Darren Mattocks turned down offer from Swedish club Djurgårdens IF - Djurgården IF wanted Darren - was rejected

Translated
Fotbolltransfers.com can reveal that Djurgården IF tried to recruit sought-after talent Darren Mattocks, too, who played college football in the U.S. in recent years. But the offer turned down by the striker.
Jamaican striker Darren also measured, 21, have poured into goals for the University of Akron in the American college series. He has made ​​a total of 36 goals in 46 matches in the last two years.

Several clubs in Scandinavia have shown interest in him. Norwegian Viking Stavanger is one of them.

Fotbolltransfers.com can now reveal that Djurgården IF also tried to tie attacking talent - but without success.

- Djurgården put a bid but it turned down. The player has other options that he think about right now, says agent Patrick McCabe to fotbolltransfers.com.

- Djurgarden gave an attractive offer but there is better offer in the market for Darren. The decision is based not only on the economic aspects, he continues.

Khaled El Ahmad, scouting director of the Royal Canal, confirming that they were interested in the 21-year-old.

- That is correct. I've talked to his agent. I've seen him play in college and they got in to me. We put an offer but he chose another club, he says to fotbolltransfers.com.

Mattocks also ranked as one of the best talent in the U.S. and could end up high on January draft if he chooses to stay there.

#13 Zip_ME87

Zip_ME87

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Soccer by Ives - Latest on 2012 GA Class (December 18, 2011)

#14 johnnyzip84

johnnyzip84

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

Mattocks signs GA deal.

Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

#15 Crew8

Crew8

Zips Junkie