Darren Mattocks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i see one more "Akron University" i'm going to snap.

LOL Paul Winters is the odds on favorite to be the new HC. He played here in the mid to late 70's Everyone referred to the school as "Akron U" back then. It was in the late 70's to early 80's that there was a push to get people using U of A as it was considered more respectable. The idea was to improve the image and reputation. So......if Winters is hired...don't be surprised if he makes a slip once or twice ;):nono::wall:

LOL Paul Winters is the odds on favorite to be the new HC. He played here in the mid to late 70's Everyone referred to the school as "Akron U" back then. It was in the late 70's to early 80's that there was a push to get people using U of A as it was considered more respectable. The idea was to improve the image and reputation. So......if Winters is hired...don't be surprised if he makes a slip once or twice ;):nono::wall:

GUYS, GUYS! Look at the top heading...this is the "Soccer" forum. If you want to have a debate about semantics and solely American sports, please PM In The Zone from across the pond. ;)

And BTW, as a born-and-bread Akronite, I can testify, it was only when the number of non-Akronite graduates of UA climbed to near the number of Akronites that this subject became a clamor. Akron U is not the proper name of the university, it's just what we locals call it. If I were a former Massachussets businessman I might bet something like 10 grand that RfR44 gradded from a HS outside Summit County. Anybody wanna take me up on that -- I mean anybody want to back me with house money? :D

Okay, back to the subject at hand, namely the Beautiful Game as it's played in the capitol of American Collegiate Soccer.

Those who have observed Akron strikers over the past four or more years, please provide me your opinion of how Darren Mattocks stacks up against the other recent Akron MLS-graduated strikers, namely Steve Zakuani, Teal Bunbury and Darlington Nagbe. Of that group, I must put Mattocks in fourth place. He has great pace, and has proved he can score versus US college opposition. However, he lacks the physicality of Bunbury (or frankly the other two -- this is his biggest weakness, IMO), the touch of Nagbe, or the pure football instincts and on-ball grace of Zakuani. Mattocks may be the best available forward in this year's draft, but IMHO this is the weakest draft overall in the past at least five years. Please discuss amongst yourselves, as I've become verklempt.

Okay, back to the subject at hand, namely the Beautiful Game as it's played in the capitol of American Collegiate Soccer.

Those who have observed Akron strikers over the past four or more years, please provide me your opinion of how Darren Mattocks stacks up against the other recent Akron MLS-graduated strikers, namely Steve Zakuani, Teal Bunbury and Darlington Nagbe. Of that group, I must put Mattocks in fourth place. He has great pace, and has proved he can score versus US college opposition. However, he lacks the physicality of Bunbury (or frankly the other two -- this is his biggest weakness, IMO), the touch of Nagbe, or the pure football instincts and on-ball grace of Zakuani. Mattocks may be the best available forward in this year's draft, but IMHO this is the weakest draft overall in the past at least five years. Please discuss amongst yourselves, as I've become verklempt.

Definitely agree with you there. Unfortunately, I don't see him doing too well anywhere he goes. At least, not right away. He simply wouldn't fit in the MLS and probably would get muscled around. At Akron he doesn't seem to be able to finish very well. He is incredible at putting himself in position to score, but it seems like it usually takes him several clear 1v1s with the keeper to put one in. In Europe, he will need to learn to finish his chances when he gets them, because they won't come around as often. I feel like another year of college would be better for him, but I'm pretty much 100% sure he wouldn't even consider that. Don't get me wrong, he has potential to be an amazing striker, but he definitely needs more time to get there.

GUYS, GUYS! Look at the top heading...this is the "Soccer" forum. If you want to have a debate about semantics and solely American sports, please PM In The Zone from across the pond. ;)

And BTW, as a born-and-bread Akronite, I can testify, it was only when the number of non-Akronite graduates of UA climbed to near the number of Akronites that this subject became a clamor. Akron U is not the proper name of the university, it's just what we locals call it. If I were a former Massachussets businessman I might bet something like 10 grand that RfR44 gradded from a HS outside Summit County. Anybody wanna take me up on that -- I mean anybody want to back me with house money? :D

LOL....my ZN.o profile says i'm from Wadsworth so yeah...good call.

But hey, i'm right on the border (as in 3/4 mile) so I might as well be an Akronite/Summit County resident.

Having literally grown up with it, the Akron U moniker does not bother me at all.

I rank our recent forwards:

1. Zakuani - speed

2. Nagbe - strength

3. Bunbury - size

4. Mattocks – grace

Mattocks is not yet physically strong enough to step into a professional side and score consistently. Recall how future pro Charles Rodriguez of Charlotte manhandled Darren. It would benefit him greatly to stay another year at Akron, to drill more and hit the weights. But all indications are that he will bolt for the pros.

I hope Mattocks goes to the MLS so that we can watch him develop. If he signs with a smaller European club, we may never hear from him again.

I agree with your observations in ranking Darren 4th in this group. Darren has the speed but lacks the creativity, IMHO, which is why he struggled against teams in the post-season tournaments, not because of the weather. (It was rather warm in December 2010 in Santa Barbara as I recall.)

EDIT:

In thinking about this more, physical strength may be the better observation. It's difficult to be creative when you're being double-teamed and manhandled.

Mattocks is not yet physically strong enough to step into a professional side and score consistently. Recall how future pro Charles Rodriguez of Charlotte manhandled Darren. It would benefit him greatly to stay another year at Akron, to drill more and hit the weights. But all indications are that he will bolt for the pros.

Having literally grown up with it, the Akron U moniker does not bother me at all.

I rank our recent forwards:

1. Zakuani - speed

2. Nagbe - strength

3. Bunbury - size

4. Mattocks – grace

I hope Mattocks goes to the MLS so that we can watch him develop. If he signs with a smaller European club, we may never hear from him again.

It would be good for Darren to stay and develop more, but IMO he has more chances of developing at a higher level somewhere else than here in Akron. That's the one issue with college soccer, you're not playing all year long or playing in competitive games. You have the PDL, training invites, spring practice, its really not enough. He's ready and in need of the next level of training either in Europe or MLS. Even with the MLS, you're not training as long as European clubs. A reason Jurgen Klinsmann has been pushing for many players to go to training invites in Europe during the offseason.

If Darren goes to Europe, I don't think it will be the last time we'll ever hear of him. And if the match is on television somewhere in the world, I'll be sure to find a link.

Darren Mattocks turned down offer from Swedish club Djurgårdens IF - Djurgården IF wanted Darren - was rejected

Translated

Fotbolltransfers.com can reveal that Djurgården IF tried to recruit sought-after talent Darren Mattocks, too, who played college football in the U.S. in recent years. But the offer turned down by the striker.

Jamaican striker Darren also measured, 21, have poured into goals for the University of Akron in the American college series. He has made ​​a total of 36 goals in 46 matches in the last two years.

Several clubs in Scandinavia have shown interest in him. Norwegian Viking Stavanger is one of them.

Fotbolltransfers.com can now reveal that Djurgården IF also tried to tie attacking talent - but without success.

- Djurgården put a bid but it turned down. The player has other options that he think about right now, says agent Patrick McCabe to fotbolltransfers.com.

- Djurgarden gave an attractive offer but there is better offer in the market for Darren. The decision is based not only on the economic aspects, he continues.

Khaled El Ahmad, scouting director of the Royal Canal, confirming that they were interested in the 21-year-old.

- That is correct. I've talked to his agent. I've seen him play in college and they got in to me. We put an offer but he chose another club, he says to fotbolltransfers.com.

Mattocks also ranked as one of the best talent in the U.S. and could end up high on January draft if he chooses to stay there.

Awesome news, can't wait to follow his progress in the MLS. Now, is he ready to move to Canada where it's probably even colder than Ohio? Montreal has the top pick, and Vancouver finished last this year so they have the second pick, I think. Montreal only has three forwards on their roster at the moment, and they could probably really use Darren. I think he gets chosen #1 overall and heads there. If not, he could get picked up by Vancouver, but they are pretty set up top. Revs finished in 17th place so they probably have the third pick. Maybe a team that needs more depth up top will trade up to get him (Ben Olsen, are you reading this?)

Awesome news, can't wait to follow his progress in the MLS. Now, is he ready to move to Canada where it's probably even colder than Ohio? Montreal has the top pick, and Vancouver finished last this year so they have the second pick, I think. Montreal only has three forwards on their roster at the moment, and they could probably really use Darren. I think he gets chosen #1 overall and heads there. If not, he could get picked up by Vancouver, but they are pretty set up top. Revs finished in 17th place so they probably have the third pick. Maybe a team that needs more depth up top will trade up to get him (Ben Olsen, are you reading this?)

Looks like the Canadians have the 1st 4 picks. Toronto has New England's pick, which is 3rd overall plus their own pick, which is #4 overall.

Congratulations to Darren. I hope Montreal picks him #1 overall. Four former Zips in Montreal would be excellent.

EDIT: Interesting that the website I linked projects Ben Speas being drafted #34 by the Philadelphia Union.

EDIT: Interesting that the website I linked projects Ben Speas being drafted #34 by the Philadelphia Union.

Which makes no sense. Why would he not sign a homegrown contract if he wanted to leave early? He will most more and be more valuable to the Crew if he signs a homegrown contract. A difference between $10-15k a year. A $30k salary or a $45k salary with the possible bonus money.

Which makes no sense. Why would he not sign a homegrown contract if he wanted to leave early? He will most more and be more valuable to the Crew if he signs a homegrown contract. A difference between $10-15k a year. A $30k salary or a $45k salary with the possible bonus money.

I agree, which is why I found it "interesting". I couldn't find the explanation for the * on Ben's name at that site either.

I agree, which is why I found it "interesting". I couldn't find the explanation for the * on Ben's name at that site either.

The asterisks is because he is a junior. But that website is a joke. I remember checking it last year and it ended up being wildly inaccurate.

EDIT: I just looked again, and if you don't believe me that that website is a joke, look who they have going to SKC right after Ben. David Bingham already plays for San Jose so I don't think he'll be going 35th in the draft to Kansas City.

The asterisks is because he is a junior. But that website is a joke. I remember checking it last year and it ended up being wildly inaccurate.

EDIT: I just looked again, and if you don't believe me that that website is a joke, look who they have going to SKC right after Ben. David Bingham already plays for San Jose so I don't think he'll be going 35th in the draft to Kansas City.

Thanks. I guess I was too tired to find the key to the *. After looking at it again, that site is a joke. Speas can't be drafted without a GA deal, I believe, and I doubt that he gets one...which means Crew or UNC. Did that site even get the draft order correct? Given the other issues you pointed out, I'm unsure of the trade they claim that New England made with Toronto FC back in April. Unfortunately, the MLS site doesn't seem to have the draft order unless I overlooked it.

Thanks. I guess I was too tired to find the key to the *. After looking at it again, that site is a joke. Speas can't be drafted without a GA deal, I believe, and I doubt that he gets one...which means Crew or UNC. Did that site even get the draft order correct? Given the other issues you pointed out, I'm unsure of the trade they claim that New England made with Toronto FC back in April. Unfortunately, the MLS site doesn't seem to have the draft order unless I overlooked it.

Ives made a mock draft somewhere, he should have the list there.