Zips Basketball with Keith Dambrot

MaxZIP

I'm surprised at the lack of interest/comments on the show. I got to watch the third show last night.

I'm starting to enjoy it more and more, now that I realize what the budget is, I'm more focused on the information.

Every year around this time the Zips schedule basketball games during NFL playoff games. I am just not missing

the NFL playoffs for Zips regular season. My point being, I think they did a great job of editing the highlights together

of the previous games. It's a lot of information in a small amount of time for someone like me who didn't get to see

the game. Wow, once again, I am jealous of that Marshall crowd! I wish the JAR could look like that, looked like a

great atmosphere for college basketball. Again, I enjoyed the player interview with Brett McClanahan. His joking

about a pass "I have to do something to contribute", shows that he knows he is struggling with his shooting.

He made another remark that doesn't come to mind that alludes to the same. Thank gawd for DVR so you

can get through those commercials! Keep up the good work Joe Dunn. :thumb:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep up the good work Joe Dunn. :thumb:

I agree. Joe is absolutely maddening when the Zips suck, because he is such a shill. Nothing worse that watching Rob Ianello pull blunder-after-blunder, while an announcer cheerily tells you "I really think things are gonna turn around any time now..."

But when the Zips are good, you can sit back and appreciate what a good job he does. Likewise, on this show, he's in his element. It's all positive Zips stuff, and discussing it is where he excels.

I like it too. I think it's going to get better week over week, as everyone gets more comfortable.

I expect that once they do this a couple of times w/ Bowden, it will take a leap forward since he's done so much of these (check Bowden's UNA videos on YouTube for an example).

The one thing I would change: Use the highlights of specific plays to let KD explain critical parts of the game, or things he thinks the fans might want to know. I get that there's not an ESPN production crew here, and the footage can be limited .. but I think it would be need for one segment to be a "KD's Film Session" .. where highlights, or low lights of the recent games are played, and KD comments on what the Zips were trying to do, what went well .. etc. Might be better than dropping 4 minutes of film on Joe and having him talk over it.

Great job guys!

:thumb:

The one thing I would change: Use the highlights of specific plays to let KD explain critical parts of the game, or things he thinks the fans might want to know. I get that there's not an ESPN production crew here, and the footage can be limited .. but I think it would be need for one segment to be a "KD's Film Session" .. where highlights, or low lights of the recent games are played, and KD comments on what the Zips were trying to do, what went well.
Good idea, I would love to hear KD talk a little X's and O's. Break down one or two plays a week and tell me why it went right and what he was trying to do. Chalk talk, Coach's Corner, KD on D. I would email Joe directly to suggest that, but don't see an email. Anyone know where to send comments to? I guess you could send them to STO and hope they make it to Joe.

Good idea, I would love to hear KD talk a little X's and O's. Break down one or two plays a week and tell me why it went right and what he was trying to do. Chalk talk, Coach's Corner, KD on D. I would email Joe directly to suggest that, but don't see an email. Anyone know where to send comments to? I guess you could send them to STO and hope they make it to Joe.

Joe Dunn bleeds blue and gold, so its no surprise that he is a total homer for the Zips. I will give him a call today and pass on the suggestions from the good members of ZN.O for improvements to the program. I'm sure if they are feasible he would make whatever changes necessary to get more viewers.

BTW, here's what Joe does in his spare time. Big Time Sports
No doubt about it!

PS Students can make a drinking game out of Zips Basketball with Keith Dambrot in the dorms, do a shot every time you hear Joe say "no doubt about it", like the old Myron Cope yoi and double yoi drinking game played in Pittsburgh. One of my favorite lines from Myron "double and triple yoi, and I don't care who gets drunk!"

With proper word of mouth, Joe can have the most popular show in Akron on Mondays, which might translate into tickets sales. The No Doubt About it Drinking Game™ seen Mondays on STO. I'm making shirts.

Most interesting point to me was Zeke saying he is trying to put more focus on rebounding.

The first and most important rule of rebounding is that you have to want the ball real bad. You have to have a mindset that the ball is your private property, and everyone else is a thief trying to steal it from you. You have to get angry and assertive about it.

With that as a foundation, the coaching staff can help with technique, such as learning how to observe the way balls bounce off the backboard, how to "read" a shot and estimate where the ball is going to bounce if it misses, getting into the best position and properly timing your jump.

Some people get the concept of rebounding early and some never get it. Tree is an example of someone who learned early and does it extremely well. He locks onto the ball with so much ferocity that he makes the other players around him look like scared little kids.

If Zeke can learn to rebound like Tree over the next year and a half, Zeke will guarantee himself a first-round NBA draft pick.

Slow informational episode. Drop the fan thing. Give me information.

Nice job Zeke, Joe & KD.

Favorite part: KD calling Harney "The Microwave" :thumb:

PS I only counted one shot (drink) tonight...is Dunn on to me?!?!? :beam:

I doubt you're going to see the "fan thing" dropped. When I talked to Joe last week he told me the show is targeted to Joe fan, not the diehards. Even though us diehards here on ZN.O would love the program to be more technical, the average viewer could care less whether we run a zone or man to man. Too many X & O's and people just change the channel. He said he would take the suggestions from the members here into consideration, but with the limited budget they are working with, it would be difficult to get to provide much in the way of video breakdowns of strategy. I did like how he asked Zeke about what his thought process is when he gets the ball on the block.

Since there has very rarely been a Zips call in show that garnered much response it would be really nice to have some "fan" input into the questions. Unfortunately I don't have STO and haven't been able to catch the show as of yet, but I know I've always wanted to have a true call in show after basketball and football games. A show that plays out each week could accept questions via e-mail and sort through the questions. Build a Subway question of the week or some other sponsor. Some of the folks on this board have good thoughts, ideas and questions -- it would be great to have the opportunity.

.....with the limited budget they are working with, it would be difficult to get to provide much in the way of video breakdowns of strategy.
:rolleyes: If this is going to be the answer to input, I can see no suggestions will be taken seriously.

Here is another suggestion JJ can tell you they don't have the budget for. Have some assistants on the show instead of KD every week. I enjoy KD, but he is already saying the same things over and over. Give him a break every third show.

Drop the interviews with 10 year old kids and 80 year old women. Nobody learns anything, if your a ZN member, or whoever this Joe Akron is that they think are pushing their demographics towards. Does anybody talk/write about the show other than here?

BigZip: Another good suggestion. :thumb: I'll take it a step further, have it be the ZipNation question of the week. All the questions are already on the board, and Joe reads it anyway. We could start a thread each week if JJ wanted.

:rolleyes: If this is going to be the answer to input, I can see no suggestions will be taken seriously.

Here is another suggestion JJ can tell you they don't have the budget for. Have some assistants on the show instead of KD every week. I enjoy KD, but he is already saying the same things over and over. Give him a break every third show.

Drop the interviews with 10 year old kids and 80 year old women. Nobody learns anything, if your a ZN member, or whoever this Joe Akron is that they are pushing their demographics towards.

Joe Dunn is not the producer of the show, just the talking head. It might make sense to have one of the assistants on as a guest, but the last time I looked the show is still called "Zips basketball with Keith Dambrot". ;)

Joe Dunn is not the producer of the show, just the talking head. It might make sense to have one of the assistants on as a guest, but the last time I looked the show is still called "Zips basketball with Keith Dambrot". ;)
If Joan Rivers can fill in on The Johnny Carson Show, I'm sure Terry Weigand can handle 12 minutes with Joe Dunn once a year. It would give a different perspective and more information.

I'll take it a step further, have it be the ZipNation question of the week. All the questions are already on the board, and Joe reads it anyway. We could start a thread each week if JJ wanted.

Joe Dunn is petrified of internet news, and really goes out of his way to avoid any mention of our site. It's almost comical. He'll mention what "fans think," and then repeat something he read here. But he'll never mention ZipsNation.

Hi Joe. Thanks for stopping in. Hope you enjoy our site, and the fact that we promote your show for free. :wave:

If Joan Rivers can fill in on The Johnny Carson Show, I'm sure Terry Weigand can handle 12 minutes with Joe Dunn once a year. It would give a different perspective and more information.

When Dambrot starts doing a show that is on the air 5 days a week and 52 weeks a year, you might have a point. Since we're only talking 15 shows, I'm sure KD won't need any vacation time from the demanding schedule. :cheers:

Joe Dunn is petrified of internet news, and really goes out of his way to avoid any mention of our site. It's almost comical. He'll mention what "fans think," and then repeat something he read here. But he'll never mention ZipsNation.

Hi Joe. Thanks for stopping in. Hope you enjoy our site, and the fact that we promote your show for free. :wave:

Unless ZN.o decides to run some advertising spots on the program, I would say the odds of ZN.o being mentioned are zero. The show is about Zips basketball, not ZN.o. ;)

Unless ZN.o decides to run some advertising spots on the program, I would say the odds of ZN.o being mentioned are zero. The show is about Zips basketball, not ZN.o. ;)

If you get information from a source, you should mention the source. It is about basic integrity.

If the ABJ is used as a reference (on the show), it is specifically mentioned. The ABJ does not advertise on the program.

Just because we promote University of Akron Athletics 24/7, 365 for free doesn't mean anyone should cite ZN.o information without due credit.

I give the ABJ credit for mentioning our site when references are appropriate. Rasor has done it too.

The others, including the PD...never.