Mike Johnson

afootball

He is not being retained at UCLA, so why haven't we heard more on Mike Johnson????????????????

The same reason we haven't heard about anyone, they have a very tight grip on information. The only news we've gotten is the leak about Loeffler. All the Winters stuff has come straight from Detroit. Just deal, we will hear something this week.

I am hoping he is given a serious look by Akron. Out of the remaining candidates, I feel like he is the best.

Yeah? You feel Johnson is the best, a guy that couldn't get it done in LA with all those resources? That Jim Mora Jr. doesn't want and didn't want, that bounced around the NFL for a long time, that hasn't been on this side of the country for a long time.

Just curious how a coordinator from a bad program is tops on your list.

Nothing against him, I think he may be someone worth looking at, he wouldn't be tops on my list, and the way at which you disqualify other guys not sure why he would be tops on yours.

I am hoping he is given a serious look by Akron. Out of the remaining candidates, I feel like he is the best.

Yeah? You feel Johnson is the best, a guy that couldn't get it done in LA with all those resources? That Jim Mora Jr. doesn't want and didn't want, that bounced around the NFL for a long time, that hasn't been on this side of the country for a long time.

Nothing against him, I think he may be someone worth looking at, he wouldn't be tops on my list, and the way at which you disqualify other guys not sure why he would be tops on yours.

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. You wholeheartedly seem to support a guy who has been stuck in D-II for a number of years and was a big part of a staff who failed here once before, but you have questions about a guy who has earned enough respect from his peers at the upper echelon of both college and pro football that he's been hired for many, many coaching positions in both D-1A and the NFL over the years?

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. You wholeheartedly seem to support a guy who has been stuck in D-II for a number of years and was a big part of a staff who failed here once before, but you have questions about a guy who has earned enough respect from his peers at the upper echelon of both college and pro football that he's been hired for many, many coaching positions in both D-1A and the NFL over the years?

I have concerns about all the options because they are a unknown. If there was a way to predict success then all 120 schools would constantly have winners.

I like how you spin things to make one look better than the other. Michael Johnson's whole career is based on the fact that he got to work with Vick for a short period of time.

You say "he's been hired for many, many coaching positions" I say he can't hold a job (6 different teams in 12 years).

You say "stuck in D-II for a number of years" I say being a head coach doing exactly what we want a coach to do.

Every one of these guys has pros and cons. I have yet to see a detailed list of that for the known possibilities.

Personally I like that Johnson has a lot of NFL and college experience, but show me how his accomplishments stack up to Winters or Loeffler.

I haven't thrown my hat in completely for Winters, at the time the options were extremely limited and he was the best possible hire.

I don't know who I like, but I will question people on why they like certain things and dismiss others.

Call it a gut feeling. There's just something that feels right about hiring him, and feels off about Winters.

..... Every one of these guys has pros and cons. I have yet to see a detailed list of that for the known possibilities. .....

Bingo. Ideally you'd have a matrix with all the candidates' names on one axis and all the qualities of a good head coach (which could run into the hundreds) on the other axis. Objectively score each candidate in each category, add up all the scores and see who has the highest composite score.

A professional search team will do something like this, and not automatically reject candidates who may be lacking in some categories but make up for that with strength in other categories.

Call it a gut feeling. There's just something that feels right about hiring him, and feels off about Winters.

That's fine, I would have said his extensive NFL connections and the fact he probably could bring in a lot of NFL talent to help coach, plus having west cost and Georgia connections wouldn't hurt from a recruiting standpoint.

Like I said I am neither for nor against any of the three current prospects (Loeffler, Winters, Johnson). They all have positives they all have negatives. That's why I'm not the AD :-).

I have concerns about all the options because they are a unknown. If there was a way to predict success then all 120 schools would constantly have winners.

I like how you spin things to make one look better than the other. Michael Johnson's whole career is based on the fact that he got to work with Vick for a short period of time.

You say "he's been hired for many, many coaching positions" I say he can't hold a job (6 different teams in 12 years).

You say "stuck in D-II for a number of years" I say being a head coach doing exactly what we want a coach to do.

Every one of these guys has pros and cons. I have yet to see a detailed list of that for the known possibilities.

Personally I like that Johnson has a lot of NFL and college experience, but show me how his accomplishments stack up to Winters or Loeffler.

I haven't thrown my hat in completely for Winters, at the time the options were extremely limited and he was the best possible hire.

I don't know who I like, but I will question people on why they like certain things and dismiss others.

I'm not spinning anything in Johnson's favor. I am not a big supporter of his for this coaching position.

• 2 years later...