NEW AKRON SPORTS?

zippyrifle32

Women's Golf or Bowling  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

mack rhoades mentioned a possibility of adding women's golf or bowling in the future. i just wanted some opinions as to which people would prefer. i could see golf being cheaper because they already have the facilities with the indoor driving range and whatnot. we have bowling alleys in the union, but that wouldn't be fit for a varsity bowling team. it also brings up the question if they added another women's team, would the bring back a men's team they already cut, like men's tennis? i know this wouldn't happen for several years, but still having it as a possibility is exciting!

How bout none of the above?? Women's sports are a waste of athletic department money and energy. Nobody cares about them and they bring no revenue or pride to the school. With the way Bush has reformed Title IX, I don't understand why some athletic departments continue to follow the old rules other than to be PC. Let's get a sport that matters, like Ice Hockey or Wrestling.

No one would closely follow ice hockey or wrestling. Hockey would be too expensive and Can't State already has a wrestling program and if we were the new kids on the block, our program would surely be lower on the totem pole. That would be like Can't adding men's soccer...they wouldn't do it because we're too dominant.Woman's sports have about as much following as low profile men's sports. I like the idea of adding woman's golf and men's tennis as we already have programs for the opposing gender. Therefore, new facilities wouldn't be required and we'd be strengthening another one of our existing programs with single additions. The UA name brand will then be associated with golf and tennis as well as some of the other stronger, higher profile sports such as football, basketball, and soccer.

ok InTheZone, why don't we just cut everything except men's football, soccer, and basketball. i'll let you keep baseball too if you like. so now we have 4 men's sports. what happens now? why shouldn't women be allowed to participate in collegiate sports? and let's just say that we get a women's golf team and they win a national championship, are you saying that wouldn't produce school pride? please enlighten me.

ok InTheZone, why don't we just cut everything except men's football, soccer, and basketball. i'll let you keep baseball too if you like. so now we have 4 men's sports. what happens now? why shouldn't women be allowed to participate in collegiate sports? and let's just say that we get a women's golf team and they win a national championship, are you saying that wouldn't produce school pride? please enlighten me.
That'd be great. Actually, you don't have to cut them, just don't waste school money in scholarships on sports nobody gives a shit about.

don't waste the scholarships, but waste the rest of the funding that goes into the program and facilities? that doesn't make sense. i also think you would be surprised to find out that not every student athlete gets a full ride or even half a ride. one more thing...you are not everybody. you are just ONE opinion, so until 30 other people who are die hard zips fans come here and say the exact same thing you just said, then you can't be all inclusive like that. for example, i give a shit for all of the sports, mens or womens, big time or not. now that we cleared that up you can get over it and move on :rock:

don't waste the scholarships, but waste the rest of the funding that goes into the program and facilities? that doesn't make sense. i also think you would be surprised to find out that not every student athlete gets a full ride or even half a ride. one more thing...you are not everybody. you are just ONE opinion, so until 30 other people who are die hard zips fans come here and say the exact same thing you just said, then you can't be all inclusive like that. for example, i give a shit for all of the sports, mens or womens, big time or not. now that we cleared that up you can get over it and move on :rock:
No, I can be be all inclusive and general, because theres an obvious difference in sports that can get 15,000 people to follow them 3 hours away and sports that can't get 5 people outside there parents to even show up for any event in a year. There are sports that matter, and there are sports that are just there for PC. My point is, we have enough sports that are only there for PC (ie, most women's sports) so why add more? Why not add some sports that might actually garner us some national attention (ie ice hockey or wrestling).

ice hockey or wrestling?! you got to be joking! you really think that there would be a huge following for those sports? wow. you underestimate the sports you're talking about. thousands of people follow softball and volleyball, so why cut those programs? because we're not nationally ranked? by that theory then we should have cut football years ago. if we build stronger teams we will get the recognition. example: nebraska has a bowling team and they've won 2 national championships. it doesn't stop there either, they have a gymnastics team that has produced individual champions, a rifle team that took third at ncaa's last year, and a golf team that has produced several conference titles and all-americans. does that mean that they're a waste of time and money? no, they gave their school bragging rights and national exposure. the university of akron would take a national championship title in any sport, not just the ones with more "interest."

ice hockey or wrestling?! you got to be joking! you really think that there would be a huge following for those sports? wow. you underestimate the sports you're talking about. thousands of people follow softball and volleyball, so why cut those programs? because we're not nationally ranked? by that theory then we should have cut football years ago. if we build stronger teams we will get the recognition. example: nebraska has a bowling team and they've won 2 national championships. it doesn't stop there either, they have a gymnastics team that has produced individual champions, a rifle team that took third at ncaa's last year, and a golf team that has produced several conference titles and all-americans. does that mean that they're a waste of time and money? no, they gave their school bragging rights and national exposure. the university of akron would take a national championship title in any sport, not just the ones with more "interest."
Well obviously it didn't give them much exposure because neither I nor about 99.9 percent of anybody else had a damn clue about any of those teams. I can tell you who the national powers in hockey and wrestling are though. And our softball and volleyball teams have thousands of fans??? I've been to softball games. I was there with a few parents. I have walked through the jar during a volleyball match. There were maybe 10 people in the stands. Give me a break :rolleyes: . And I'm not the one that brought up cutting those sports either. You were. I just say don't add any other useless sports to appease that pos Title IX which has been amended.And also, not saying this to be offensive, but rifle is not a sport. It's a skill, but definately does not take "athletic" talent. Riflers are not athletes. Any competition in which men and women can compete is not an "athletic" competition. Genetics can tell you that. Rifle should be dropped from the athletic department and the budget and get funding from another department of the school. Also, there is absolutely no reason why anyone on the rifle team should have a scholarship. What a waste of school money!!!

Well obviously it didn't give them much exposure because neither I nor about 99.9 percent of anybody else had a damn clue about any of those teams. I can tell you who the national powers in hockey and wrestling are though. And our softball and volleyball teams have thousands of fans??? I've been to softball games. I was there with a few parents. I have walked through the jar during a volleyball match. There were maybe 10 people in the stands. Give me a break :rolleyes: . And I'm not the one that brought up cutting those sports either. You were. I just say don't add any other useless sports to appease that pos Title IX which has been amended.And also, not saying this to be offensive, but rifle is not a sport. It's a skill, but definately does not take "athletic" talent. Riflers are not athletes. Any competition in which men and women can compete is not an "athletic" competition. Genetics can tell you that. Rifle should be dropped from the athletic department and the budget and get funding from another department of the school. Also, there is absolutely no reason why anyone on the rifle team should have a scholarship. What a waste of school money!!!
first things first...hockey and wrestling? i couldn't name the top 10 in either. my point is that each sport has its own following and fan base. there are thousands of people that follow softball and volleyball, know who's the favorite to win the next ncaa championship, who made the olympic team etc. i wasn't saying specifically that akron's teams have thousands of fans, i'm saying that just because you don't follow a sport doesn't mean others don't too. you can't group everyone together just for that reason. now for the second topic...well you're wrong. if you want more information on why shooting is a sport look in some of the other rifle threads. rifle informationthere's plenty of information there, and if you don't want to look at it that's fine too. if you ever want to come down to one of our practices to see exactly what we do, you're more than welcome to. i'll even let you shoot my gun :thumb: one more thing, as far as who deserves what for scholarship money, well athletes work for the money they get. playing their sport is their job, and they can put in just as many hours as the "regular student" flipping burgers. on top of that, athletes are expected to do well in the classroom, and are often held to a higher standard.

first things first...hockey and wrestling? i couldn't name the top 10 in either. my point is that each sport has its own following and fan base. there are thousands of people that follow softball and volleyball, know who's the favorite to win the next ncaa championship, who made the olympic team etc. i wasn't saying specifically that akron's teams have thousands of fans, i'm saying that just because you don't follow a sport doesn't mean others don't too. you can't group everyone together just for that reason. now for the second topic...well you're wrong. if you want more information on why shooting is a sport look in some of the other rifle threads. rifle informationthere's plenty of information there, and if you don't want to look at it that's fine too. if you ever want to come down to one of our practices to see exactly what we do, you're more than welcome to. i'll even let you shoot my gun :thumb: one more thing, as far as who deserves what for scholarship money, well athletes work for the money they get. playing their sport is their job, and they can put in just as many hours as the "regular student" flipping burgers. on top of that, athletes are expected to do well in the classroom, and are often held to a higher standard.
You don't have to lecture me about the hours athletes put in since I am a former athlete. And as for rifle, I know exactly what you do, and it has nothing at all to do with athletic ability. I'm not trying to be mean, but most the riflers aren't exactly in what I'd call great athletic shape. Athletics must require some type of motion. In rifle the point is actually to have as little motion as possible. Again, I know it requires a skill, but it riflers are not "athletes" and should not be in the athletic department.As for the scholarship situation, most UA athletes play without scholarships or a very small amount of money (mostly men because of the crap that is Title IX). It would be great if all athletes could have scholarships, but since they don't, none of the women's athletics teams should give out scholarships. The can keep the teams, just don't waste the money on scholarships. The only sports that the players truely should have scholarships are football and men's basketball and perhaps soccer because those are the only sports that benefit the university. Sure, they might lose money some years, but the University could never find a cheaper national advertisement for the University. Football and men's basketball play on national tv multiple times a year. Football was the ONLY game on in the entire nation for the MCB. If basketball makes the NCAA tourney, that will be huge. Soccer got mentioned along with football on ESPN's top 10 for putting Akron "on top of the world of collegiate sports" for a week. The athletes in these sports do a TON for the school. The deserve to be repaid. The rest of the athletes, if they want to play for the love of the sport, fine, but if more than half the guys on the men's track team who bust their asses year round can't even get ANY financial aid, there's no reason in hell why some girl rifler should be on a full ride.

You don't have to lecture me about the hours athletes put in since I am a former athlete. And as for rifle, I know exactly what you do, and it has nothing at all to do with athletic ability. I'm not trying to be mean, but most the riflers aren't exactly in what I'd call great athletic shape. Athletics must require some type of motion. In rifle the point is actually to have as little motion as possible. Again, I know it requires a skill, but it riflers are not "athletes" and should not be in the athletic department.
most rifle shooters are not in great athletic shape (myself included), but if you look at who's at the top of the game they all are (which i admit i am not in the elite). they do just as much "motion" off the range as other athletes on the field. shooters have to be strong to be able to hold a 13 lb. rifle perfectly still, and do it several times over a few hours. that takes conditioning in the gym. to be able to have perfect breathing technique and shoot in between heartbeats reqires good cardio training. so, even though shooters need to run and lift like every other athlete, they shouldn't be considered athletes because they try not to move during competition?
The rest of the athletes, if they want to play for the love of the sport, fine, but if more than half the guys on the men's track team who bust their asses year round can't even get ANY financial aid, there's no reason in hell why some girl rifler should be on a full ride.
i'm also going to have to correct you here. the ncaa says that a rifle team can have a maximum of 3.6 schoarships to hand out, however it takes 4 people to field a team. then when you look at our school they don't even give us the full 3.6. my freshman year we go 2.0 scholarships, and that was split between 7 or 8 girls. this year i believe we have one more scholarship, and because of the way the proportions are in the athletic department we were able to give some of that to the guys. basically, no one on our team gets a full ride, and no school that i know of gives out full rides either. knowing that a lot of shooters make up for the money they know they won't be getting through academic money. hope that help clarify some things. i never said title ix was fair, because it's not.

Let me pose this question, what is the purpose of college athletics? It is NOT supposed to be about money. The purpose of athletics is to educate students in the ideals of good sportsmanship and self-discipline. Athletic activities must, in all cases, be consistent with the primary intellectual aims of the University. So, for not-for-profit institutions to only provide sports that "justify the financial means" denies individuals the opportunity to be thrust into leadership roles. Athletics benefits the Institution and society as a whole, by allowing individuals to "practice" being leaders before they enter the "real world." Athletics also educates students in the importance of integrity in sportsmanship. This translates to integrity in the workplace. Although I was never a college athlete, this was always the way I preceived the purpose of college athletics.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to weigh in on this womens sports issue. I'm all for womens sports as long as the following is strictly adhered to:No sports that attract ugly girls. Bowling would be one of them. Some of the girls playing golf now are good looking so I'm voting for golf. Volleyball and basketball also attract the higher end looking athletes. Volleyball has always had good looking girls playing even bach when I was in school. Basketball has come a long way since Rebecca Lobo played at UCONN. I lived in Storrs, Connecticut her senior year at UCONN and people were in love with her and I never understood why.Softball is a sport that attracts some good looking women, but there is always that fat girl on every team that bats clean-up. There should be a weight limit with softball like there is with little league football.Some of you may not be old enough to remember, but in the 1980s, Akron still had a wrestling team and it went away with the lack of money. Can't State also had hockey at one time and they were in the CCHA, which is a good conference, and that went away also. If you liked hockey, the games were always fun to go to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

i read in a recent usa today that nebraska is at the top of bowling once again. anyways it also mentioned somethings that i didn't know. ncaa moved bowling up to championship status in like 2002, and there are only 8 colleges/universities that field bowling teams. i remeber reading in the beacon journal (last week maybe?) that the ohio high school athletic association (don't know the acronym here) is making bowling a varsity sport in the state of ohio. i also know that bowling is picking up speed back home (oregon) and the osaa is looking at making bowling a varsity sport there as well. with bowling on the rise, if mack started up a team here (like he mentioned in passing) we could establish ourselves in the sport and possibly win a national championship while the field of teams is small. plus, i think bowling is a women's sport so it could add to the title ix balance so the school could maybe increase it's male scholarships in another sport like men's track. what do you guys think? :macc:

bowling is not a sport, period.
IMHO, bowling is as much a sport as golf and rifle. None of them require any running and strenth training may or may not be a help, but they all require lots of practice to refine the necessary accuracy and repetition skills as well as adjusting to conditions (yes even bowling lane conditions vary).

Glad to see that someone noted the hotness of the akron women's tennis team :)But in all seriousness, I have enjoyed reading this topic. Got some laughs. I dont really know about adding women's golf or bowling, but hockey would be fun to have, I think. Men's tennis would be cool too. But we'd actually need some facilities. We dont have any tennis facilities on campus, so I think that'd be the first step.A men's swimming team would be something to field too. Or men's and women's gymnastics. I just dont think that bowling is something that Akron needs. I really hope that we dont field a bowling team.

• 4 months later...