Statement from Paul Winters

InTheZone

"I have kept my mouth shut, but I have read everything that you guys have written. I applaud your passion and commitment to Akron Zip football. Your support is going to bring Zip football back to prominence. You have the facilities and the campus to recruit great talent. I apologize to all of you who pushed to have me return. I just want you to know that this was the most difficult decision that I have ever made. I LOVE Akron Ohio! I actually applied for the job three times, was interviewed twice and turned down all three. The University has grown in that time and has become a different place than when I played and first started coaching. My mom worked there for 40 years. Over the last 13 months I lost my mom and dad and my feeling of home changed. I have built something special at Wayne State, and these players are important to me as is everyone who played with me or for me at Akron. The administration, Athletic Director Rob Fournier and all three presidents have treated me with respect and dignity here. At the end of the 2010 season 30 of my players drove to Akron to attend my mother's funeral. These people are my family and I love them. Please forgive me for not returning and understand that Wayne State is where I belong!"

I fully understand this. As a lifelong fan and one who grew up to my dads stories of how good a runner he was, I was so hopeful he would come back and lead us to a fairytale ending. But that ending came crashing down yesterday. I just hope that TW doesn't rush out and pick someone else who isn't ready for the job. I will back the new coach like I did Ianello (until about game 5 this year) and look forward to bigger and better things.

After reading that I fully understand how and why he made the decision he did. Hopefully we find the right guy that can connect with this university and the players like winters has done at Wayne state. That is the foundation of trust and committment that will lead to sustained success.

"At the end of the 2010 season 30 of my players drove to Akron to attend my mother's funeral. These people are my family and I love them. Please forgive me for not returning and understand that Wayne State is where I belong!"

The perfect example of the fruits of leadership being so much more than success.

Best wishes, Paul. And God bless.

Too bad TW chose Iannello the last time. That was apparently the final Winters mulligan. Play it where it lies from here on out.

Thanks, ITZ. I better understand Winters' decision. But it doesn't make me feel good about the Zips Football situation today.

CK, regardless of the hire that was made then, would you have been supportive of TW hiring a 6-5 D-II coach with no postseason appearance in 2009?

We can be relieved that Paul's decision was made based upon the positives regarding his life at Wayne. That is as it should be, and I respect his decision.

He says it was a difficult decision, but now he is moving on. It was a hard loss for UA, but we too have to move on.

I have been thinking about the realities that have become apparent about the state of the UA football program through this coaching search. At first I was disheartened. Then I thought about how down I was just six weeks ago with the thought that we would have to endure at least one more season of Ianello.

Folks, even with the uncertainty about our next coach, we are soooo much better off than we had been at the beginning of November. At least our current anxiety is over changes being made - and these changes are our first steps in the right direction.

Wow, it is too bad that Paul Winters was turned down several times for the Football HC position by the University of Akron. What a great man that he would take the time to respond like that. Thanks for sharing ITZ.

We can be relieved that Paul's decision was made based upon the positives regarding his life at Wayne. That is as it should be, and I respect his decision.

He says it was a difficult decision, but now he is moving on. It was a hard loss for UA, but we too have to move on.

I have been thinking about the realities that have become apparent about the state of the UA football program through this coaching search. At first I was disheartened. Then I thought about how down I was just six weeks ago with the thought that we would have to endure at least one more season of Ianello.

Folks, even with the uncertainty about our next coach, we are soooo much better off than we had been at the beginning of November. At least our current anxiety is over changes being made - and these changes are our first steps in the right direction.

or a second step in the wrong direction.

Timing is everything.

Two years ago, Winters would have been ready to take an offer and come to Akron to lead the Zips with his mother and father sitting in the stands cheering him on. But the timing wasn't right for UA. Winters had yet to prove that he could completely turn around a perennial D-II loser.

Two years later, Winters had proved to UA that he was ready by taking a perennial D-II loser to the national championship game. But both of his parents had passed, and he would no longer be able to completely fulfill his dream at UA. Instead, he had a new dream at Wayne State.

Life is full of instances where the timing is not right for all parties and partnerships just don't work out. This appears to be one of them.

Timing is everything.

Two years ago, Winters would have been ready to take an offer and come to Akron to lead the Zips with his mother and father sitting in the stands cheering him on. But the timing wasn't right for UA. Winters had yet to prove that he could completely turn around a perennial D-II loser.

Two years later, Winters had proved to UA that he was ready by taking a perennial D-II loser to the national championship game. But both of his parents had passed, and he would no longer be able to completely fulfill his dream at UA. Instead, he had a new dream at Wayne State.

Life is full of instances where the timing is not right for all parties and partnerships just don't work out. This appears to be one of them.

+1.

There's no way UA could have hired PW two years ago. Not after a 6-5 season at a D-II school.

However, it still stings because I feel he would now have been the ideal candidate. Ouch.

Good for him though. PW's not a spring chick anymore and will be able to gracefully ride off into the sunset @ WSU.

Notice how he says nothing about us having "Great leadership in your athletic department".

I noticed that too. There was nothing in there that was complimentary about the leadership in the athletic department. That was intentional on his part, I'll bet.

Well, good for Paul. He's happy and content where he is. We should all be so lucky at that stage of our lives.

• 11 months later...