Evan Payne

All Ohio guard Evan Payne has returned to the Akron area and will enroll at Firestone HS. He won't be eligable to play this season. He still hasn't commited anywhere And he still lists UA as a possibility.

Evan Payne returns from prep school but likely ineligible to play for Firestone

Payne said he is considering playing basketball at Southern California, Texas Christian, the University of Akron, Cleveland State, South Florida, Central Florida and DePaul

Firestone seems to be getting some solid players for their sports. One of my best friends just moved in with his mom, who lives in the Firestone school district. He was Norton's QB, and was the top DIII QB in the state during the regular season, top 30 QB in all of Ohio. From what I've heard, Firestone has a couple Ohio State football recruits. Could be a solid football team next year.

With the addition of Payne, look for Firestone to do some damage in multiple sports next year.

Firestone seems to be getting some solid players for their sports. One of my best friends just moved in with his mom, who lives in the Firestone school district. He was Norton's QB, and was the top DIII QB in the state during the regular season, top 30 QB in all of Ohio. From what I've heard, Firestone has a couple Ohio State football recruits. Could be a solid football team next year.

With the addition of Payne, look for Firestone to do some damage in multiple sports next year.

Isn't Payne a senior this year? If not, 'Stone would be a stae title contender with Payne added to that team next year.

And maybe Bowden can get those football players you mentioned to stay home & represent! Go Zips!

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know the latest on Payne? Did he find a prep school or is he done for the year? Not sure Akron is at the top of the list but I believe he has an offer.

I haven't heard an update. I do know he is ineligible to play in Ohio this year, due to his playing @ West Virginia's Huntington Prep. (What a stupid move that was.)

He was looking into Firestone before he was ruled ineligible. It's too bad; with Payne on that team they'd be a state title contender.

• 2 years later...

Sitting at the Diamond Head Classic at Stan Sherrif Center this morning I turned the program to the section on Loyola Marymount (which plays Wichita State tonight), and the "Player to Watch" happened to be the eponymous name to this thread. I was not aware of Evan Payne until reading that he "rewrote LMU's freshman record book" last season with seven 20+ point games, and comes into this tournament as one of the nation's leading scorers at over 22 ppg. It appears Payne is on target to exceed 2000 points in his West Coast Conference career, if it isn't cut short by the NBA draft. How in the world did this hometown player get away from the Zips? Here's the LMU bio: http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/evan_payne_862254.html

He was considering Southern California, Texas Christian, the University of Akron, Cleveland State, South Florida, Central Florida and DePaul, and ended up at Loyola Marymount, which has finished dead last in the West Coast Conference standings the last two seasons. I suppose there's some kind of hidden message there.

• Like 1