SI's Steward Mandel - Grading out the new coaching hires

NewZipsFan

I hope Coach Bowden is overqualified. If recent history repeats itself, UA wants to become an all around strong athletic program and they have proven they are willing to put up the money to do so i.e. Porter for Soccer. I have no doubt that when Terry turns this around Akron will try to do the same with him and give him the salary his overqualified butt deserves.

How does coach Amato get left off the impact assistant list? I can't wait to see what he does with our D.

I'm not sure of the definition of "over qualified" when it comes to Div I coaching. Our progrum was a mess in 2011, we need someone EXTREMELY qualified to turn it around. Who has an harder job, Urban Myers or coach Bowden? Who has to recruit harder? Who has to do more with less (right now)?

How does coach Amato get left off the impact assistant list? I can't wait to see what he does with our D.

I'm not sure of the definition of "over qualified" when it comes to Div I coaching. Our progrum was a mess in 2011, we need someone EXTREMELY qualified to turn it around. Who has an harder job, Urban Myers or coach Bowden? Who has to recruit harder? Who has to do more with less (right now)?

Mandel is my least favorite sports writer in the country. He's got his own agenda, and is rarely objective or unbiased. He holds grudges, and can sometimes just be nasty for the sake of being nasty. That's why I was a little surprised that he wrote something relatively complimentary. I personally think he has an inferiority complex - and didn't like the fact that a great football coach, actually became a pretty dadgum good writer for Yahoo for four years; whereas Stewy will NEVER be a football coach :)

Terry Bowden may be overqualified for Akron and the MAC based on his resume and pedigree, but he is working his way back up the coaching ladder.

If he is wildly successful here a richer school will probably outbid Akron to get him at some point. He's at an age where he might want to stay at a place like Akron, but I think he'll jump. Not just for the money either. I would expect a man with his personal and family coaching accomplishments will want to get back to the limelight in a BCS conference.

Who cares if he is hired away to a high profile BCS program? Imagine if 3-4 years from now we are lamenting losing Terry Bowden because Akron football has turned around and is regarded as "wildly successful" in the MAC. I'd love to have that dilemma!

I can't believe I am able to be this excited about Akron football so soon after the two "lost" years. It is great to have legitimate reasons to be optimistic.

Good luck Coach Bowden, and - GO ZIPS!

They're far from all new coaches but I ran across this quiz on MAC coaches. You try to name as many as you can in 12 minutes, for everyone who has ever been a head coach in the MAC. I gave up after getting about 2 dozen (including getting lucky on a WMU coach named Gil when I typed Turner Gill's name wrong). I did get all of the Akron coaches correct. :) Bowden is included. A lot of big names who started in the MAC.

They're far from all new coaches but I ran across this quiz on MAC coaches. You try to name as many as you can in 12 minutes, for everyone who has ever been a head coach in the MAC. I gave up after getting about 2 dozen (including getting lucky on a WMU coach named Gil when I typed Turner Gill's name wrong). I did get all of the Akron coaches correct. :) Bowden is included. A lot of big names who started in the MAC.

A lot of great coaches have started in the MAC, but if things go according to plan, this great coach would like to finish his career in the MAC :NCAAC:

Terry Bowden may be overqualified for Akron and the MAC based on his resume and pedigree, but he is working his way back up the coaching ladder.

If he is wildly successful here a richer school will probably outbid Akron to get him at some point. He's at an age where he might want to stay at a place like Akron, but I think he'll jump. Not just for the money either. I would expect a man with his personal and family coaching accomplishments will want to get back to the limelight in a BCS conference.

Who cares if he is hired away to a high profile BCS program? Imagine if 3-4 years from now we are lamenting losing Terry Bowden because Akron football has turned around and is regarded as "wildly successful" in the MAC. I'd love to have that dilemma!

I can't believe I am able to be this excited about Akron football so soon after the two "lost" years. It is great to have legitimate reasons to be optimistic.

Good luck Coach Bowden, and - GO ZIPS!

If a program has success and the coach leaving is seen as a "move up" then continuity is often key to the program the coach is leaving staying successful. Let's just hope if we lose Bowden or any other coach because of him being successful that a high ranking individual on the coaching staff would remain as the new head guy. I'm not sure how that would or could play out down the road for Akron but if we have success I'd like to have continuity as well instead of having to 'reinvent' something.