RPI Watch

zippy5

Amen. My wife and I made the trip to Valpo for those two games and that loss just ruined the trip. I've NEVER been so disgusted with officiating.

I'm glad I wasn't there, because it would've ruined my weekend as well. I still have 31-14 (foul differential), 37-8 (foul shooting difference) and 11-5 (Zeke's minutes and fouls) ingrained in my head.

Anyway, Valpo won 59-41. They are now ranked No. 85 in RPI. Now, the Zips are 4-7 against top 100 teams.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CSU loses at home to Valpo. Valpo should jump into the top 100 RPI.

Bracketbuster foe Oral Roberts down 4 at the half at home vs. #248 IUPUI.

Oral Roberts is now up 10 midway through the second half, which is good for Akron fans. We need them ranked as high as possible to keep an at-large dream alive. Is that nlikely, yes, especially since the Zips don't make anything easy, but I'm on the wagon until it hits that bump in the road to knock me off.

Akron makes the top 50, checking in right at 50 tonight. Detroit's win over Milwaukee bumped the Zips past North Carolina State.

But, that will be short-lived. After tomorrow, will probably fall back to near 60 because of NIU's ineptitude. However, even sitting at 60 heading back to the East swing and ORU is huge. Handle business and the RPI will soar.

ESPN's Basketball Power Index is a little more sophisticated than RPI, similar to how Ken Pomeroy adds more measures.

BPI is interesting in that it makes allowances for games where any of a team's top five players (by minutes per game) was missing.

One flaw is that it does not account for missing bench players, and some teams (like the Zips) rely more on their bench than others.

BPI currently ranks the Zips #57.

ESPN BPI

BPI Explained

2/11/12 (per CBS RPI) Opponent's RPI who Akron lost to:

Valparaiso- 85

Duquesne- 80

WVU- 34

MTSU- 42

CSU- 68

VCU- 90

Buffalo- 86

Whoever thought that at this point our worst lost would be to VCU?

Man when I look at how close we were in some of those games and think about our at large chances it makes me angry. Valpo, Duquesne, CSU, VCU, Buffalo. Take 2 or 3 of those games and make them into wins (we were in every one of them) and all of a sudden we are a 19 or 20 win team already. We probably have an even better bracket buster matchup and we are firmly entrenched on the bubble if not one of the last 4 in.

After Saturday night's 5-1 record against the West, the MAC-East finishes crossover play with a 30-6 record.

With updated RPI, the would put the MAC-West #29 overall in conference RPI if it were it's own conference. The MAC-East would be sitting pretty at #8!!

I think we'd be having a different discussion about at-large bid chances if that were the case. Of course we would have had to play each MAC-East team another time and it would be tough to run the table on those six games instead of the six we had against the cupcake West. Not to mention the loss of our auto bid...

but hey, I can dream.

After Saturday night's 5-1 record against the West, the MAC-East finishes crossover play with a 30-6 record.

With updated RPI, the would put the MAC-West #29 overall in conference RPI if it were it's own conference. The MAC-East would be sitting pretty at #8!!

I think we'd be having a different discussion about at-large bid chances if that were the case. Of course we would have had to play each MAC-East team another time and it would be tough to run the table on those six games instead of the six we had against the cupcake West. Not to mention the loss of our auto bid...

but hey, I can dream.

As a stat guy. Glad you put that out there. I'm interested in seeing how the MAC East would stack up against the top 6 overall teams in any other mid-major conference. Even with Miami holding the East back, if it still stacks up well against the overall top 6 in the other leagues, it would strengthen the East's case even further ... "We have a horrible team (Miami) and still stack up with your best."

Edit:

I won't do every mid-major, but here is an example (using expected RPI). This is average of the other league's top 6 (regardless of division) vs. the MAC East. I also included the Pac 12 and where the MAC top 6 would rank. The five power conferences not mentioned are spots 1-5.

Mountain West - 48.2

Atlantic 10 - 51.1

Conference USA - 69.5

Missouri Valley - 73

Pac 12 - 74.1

West Coast - 90.9

MAC (total top 6) - 100.4

Colonial - 107.7

MAC East - 108.2

Ivy - 117.3

Horizon - 125.2

Summit - 133.6

WAC - 136.6

Sun Belt - 141.9

Northeast - 150

Atlantic Sun - 151.2

OVC - 157.4

MAAC - 170.3

Patriot - 172.1

Southern - 173.4

Big West - 177.5

Big Sky - 183.9

That would put the MAC's top 6 against any other league's top 6 at No. 12. The MAC East alone would be No. 14, slightly behind the Colonial. It just shows how much the MAC West is holding this league back.

Also, and just because there is a lot of talk of joining either CUSA or the Big East. If Akron was in CUSA, the Zips' projected RPI of 46.7 would rank third in the league. Hypothetically, it would move the league's top 6 average up to 55.5. Still behind both the Mountain West and A-10, but it would help close the gap. In the Big East, the Zips would rank No. 7, slightly above Seton Hall. Of course, I didn't take into account future defections in that.

Just noticed something positive about the Zips' SOS. One of the stats listed by Statsheet.com is projected SOS, that is, their estimate of what each team's SOS will be at the end of the season based on projected results of all teams after all games are played.

Earlier in the season, the Zips' projected SOS was estimated to be somewhere in the 140s. Currently it's listed at #104. That means that a lot of teams the Zips have played and will play are having better seasons than originally estimated, driving up the Zips' SOS.

We've discussed in the past that the Zips really needed to elevate their SOS. Last year, for example, it was only #170. If the current trend holds and the Zips do finish close to #100, that will represent a significant improvement.

This may have already been discussed so I apologize if so. But what's the deal with the new Basketball Power Index (BPI) on ESPN? They say it improves on the flaws of RPI and is more accurate overall.

The reason I ask is because it would appear that an Akron (BPI #57) win over Oral (BPI #65) would pretty much not be a help for our at-large chances. It would, however, be a must win.

Does anyone think this index is the new standard as far as tournament picking or is this just some ESPN gimic?

This may have already been discussed so I apologize if so. But what's the deal with the new Basketball Power Index (BPI) on ESPN? They say it improves on the flaws of RPI and is more accurate overall.

The reason I ask is because it would appear that an Akron (BPI #57) win over Oral (BPI #65) would pretty much not be a help for our at-large chances. It would, however, be a must win.

Does anyone think this index is the new standard as far as tournament picking or is this just some ESPN gimic?

They said it takes into account whether the opponent is missing key players. I'm fairly sure that ORU beat Xavier after the Xavier-Cinci fight and had some players suspended. This is why ORU gets docked major points in the BPI.

BPI is similar to the Pomeroy or Sagarin ratings in that they have additional elements in the calculation beyond RPI.

From all I've read, the NCAA selection committee looks at pure RPI, and then has a discussion about other elements rather than trying to roll all the elements into a standard equation like BPI, Pomeroy or Sagarin. I suppose the NCAA selection process is always subject to change if they think they can come up with a more logical formula.

We've fallen to #60 right now. For you statistical wizards, is there any reason why this is happeing.?

NIU- 328

Toledo- 269

CMU- 265

Ball- 234

EMU- 213

WMU- 184

These are our last 6 wins...all games that a loss would have been detrimental to our RPI, but a win doesn't really make it go up significantly. We need to get rid of the west. Beating Miami probably won't make it go back up that much with an RPI of 244. Thank goodness for ORU coming up.

We've fallen to #60 right now. For you statistical wizards, is there any reason why this is happeing.?

Because we played NIU. They're so bad that even a win caused us to drop by 10 spots. But we play good teams from now until the tournament. Our RPI will improve by at least 20 spots even if we only go .500 the rest of the way.

It's all conjecture and reliant on others opinions and actions.

One game at a time and one win at a time.

The RPI and the rest will take care of themselves if the Zips take care of their business. To run the table would be absolutely fantastic but I pray they are undefeated at the Q would be great as well. It's going to be a tremendous challenge and one we should enjoy! Sellout the JAR and make some roadtrips to support the boys.