On to Muncie

johnnyzip84

I think we learned something important tonight. When the other team is going to foul, try to keep the ball in Walsh's hands. He looked very confident at the line and none of his foul shots even hit the rim.

I have the same feeling late in games when he has the ball as I did when Roberts had the ball the last 4 years. "Get the ball to Roberts" was a very common goal late in games with a lead.

Good times!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. He's not helping the team at all right now.

He does every once in awhile. Last weekend against Ken+, he had a couple of buckets, and put a couple of other digits across the rest of the box score, and really hustled. That's about all you can really expect anymore, from someone who really never progressed much in his career here.

Looking back, I remember how stupid I thought it was to burn his redshirt midway through the season 3 years ago. But now, I don't think it really mattered. We had some injuries at the time that left us with a thin backcourt. We really needed him at the time. We probably needed him much more that year than we will need him in the 2012-2013 season. So thankfully, I think we'll find that the move move ended up not really hurting us much at all.

He's not helping the team at all right now.

I totally disagree. Obviously he's struggling with his shot, but he plays solid defense and contributes solid intangibles. It's his senior year, he's struggling but he's still being a positive influence and he is helping "coach" some of his younger teammates. His biggest contribution is his great attitude; he enjoys team success as much or more than personal success. An important role model for his teammates; here's hoping for all of us he finds his stroke soon.

..... someone who really never progressed much in his career here. .....

We talked extensively here last season about Nitro's huge progress in his junior season over his first two seasons. He went from a bit player to a key component of last season's NCAA tournament team. He's playing a smaller role this season due to the influx of talented new players. But that doesn't mean he never progressed much in his career here. The progress in his junior season is obvious when you look at his numbers.

Nitro on StatSheet.com

He does every once in awhile. Last weekend against Ken+, he had a couple of buckets, and put a couple of other digits across the rest of the box score, and really hustled. That's about all you can really expect anymore, from someone who really never progressed much in his career here.

Looking back, I remember how stupid I thought it was to burn his redshirt midway through the season 3 years ago. But now, I don't think it really mattered. We had some injuries at the time that left us with a thin backcourt. We really needed him at the time. We probably needed him much more that year than we will need him in the 2012-2013 season. So thankfully, I think we'll find that the move move ended up not really hurting us much at all.

You never know when Nitro might get hot though. If/when he does, it could be a crucial time for this team. Imagine the opponent that is prepared for the other 8 guys on the roster and then Nitro starts torching them. Talk about being demoralized by an unexpected secret weapon! This could very well happen in the post-season and put us over the top in a few contests.

Brett is struggling this year and he knows it. That was obvious by his own comments on the Keith Dambrot Show two Mondays ago. Something tells me he hits a big shot at the Q due to his experience there. I wish him luck, he seems like a nice guy.

Zeke's effectiveness is best measured by blocks, and wins.

He never gets the numbers like the physical bigs he faces, but those physical bigs need to have huge numbers for their team to have a chance to win.

I'd say Jones came pretty close: 25 points on 9-16 shooting ant 9 boards. But, like I said, Jones was the only one that had a good game. Sometimes you let the star get theirs and shut the rest of the team down.

That is not how I would describe what happened last night.

Our turnovers kept the game close.

Since the WVa game, Diggs has improved SO much at the point. If AA is struggling, like he was last night with turnovers, Diggs seamlessly steps in. If you can get see through the dense Harney-mania that abounds (not that there's anything wrong with it), Q's had a great series of games.

Our turnovers kept the game close.

Since the WVa game, Diggs has improved SO much at the point. If AA is struggling, like he was last night with turnovers, Diggs seamlessly steps in. If you can get see through the dense Harney-mania that abounds (not that there's anything wrong with it), Q's had a great series of games.

It's all about the turn overs with this team. The unforced ones in particular. It seems that every game a different player decides to play loosey-goosey with the ball. Q has progressed nicely since the beginning of the season. We can beat anybody if we take care of the ball.

Best measure in my mind of how good this team is right now is to get on to other teams fan forums and read the post before and after the game. The last 3-4 games our opponents fans have gone in essentially with the attitude of "if we do EVERYTHING right we might be able to sneak away a win from Akron." Post-game it is, "Akron is just clearly more talented, the better team won. We made a couple of mistakes, and you just can't do that against a team that is that talented and that deep."

It isn't just the blue and gold colored glasses crowd around here that sees how good this team is. Other programs are recognizing it too.

:wave: guess I have to agree with the awesome.

10 starters. NO team in the NCAA has 10 starters. I am thinking AA is so busy managing the players he forgets sometime, he has a ball to protect. Now a football team can play as a team with 11 on the field so it is not impossible for 10 bb players to play as a team. If and when that happens look out. It was obvious that Ball watched the 21 points of Harney and decided to double, triple team him. They were not going to make the same mistake Can't did.

How many teams period could say that? This Zips team is just awesome. Haha. Go Zips!

We talked extensively here last season about Nitro's huge progress in his junior season over his first two seasons. He went from a bit player to a key component of last season's NCAA tournament team. He's playing a smaller role this season due to the influx of talented new players. But that doesn't mean he never progressed much in his career here. The progress in his junior season is obvious when you look at his numbers.Nitro on StatSheet.com

Dave,

What you think you are seeing from last year was a result of some good games in the early part of the season. The 2nd half of the season was pretty much a return to the "same old", which has now continued into this season.

The mind-boggling part is that performance he had in the Miami game in Cleveland. Where in the world did that come from? A career game,completely out of the blue.

I believe Nitro has had a difficult time transitioning from the McNees/Roberts half court game, to the fast break, high flying style of play the Zips have embraced in 2011-12. Even Dambrot has taken some time adjusting to coaching this mix of old+new players.

That said, Nitro is an athlete, in the mold of Bobby Sura, sans the hops. He was all-state in 3 different sports. He has the skill set to play wide open, fast break, run-and-stun basketball. He bagged that part of his game for 3 years because it didn't fit those Zips' teams, but he can adjust.

I see signs of Nitro loosening up. Having the green light to fire-away, I believe he'll be doing more shooting down the stretch, and less thinking.

I look for a more relaxed, free-firing Nitro down the stretch now that it's his established role.

Dave,

What you think you are seeing from last year was a result of some good games in the early part of the season. The 2nd half of the season was pretty much a return to the "same old", which has now continued into this season.

The mind-boggling part is that performance he had in the Miami game in Cleveland. Where in the world did that come from? A career game,completely out of the blue.

I've spent some time looking at graphs of Nitro's performance last season, and there was only a small statistical falloff from the first to the second half of the season when Q was starting to earn more PT.

Over the last complete season, Nitro was the team's 3rd leading scorer at 10 ppg, behind only the Serb's 11.7 and B. McKnight's 10.2, and 3rd leading rebounder at 3.6 rpg, behind only the Serb's 6.9 and Zeke's 4.9.

Nitro was the team's best 3-point shooter of those who had more than 50 attempts for the season at .389 to B. McKnight's .385 and D. Roberts' .382, and his .893 free throw percentage was 2nd only to D. Roberts' .944.

Perhaps most impressive last season is that Nitro had the 2nd best offensive rating of any Zips player and 12th best in the MAC. The only Zip with a higher offensive rating last season than Nitro's 110.0 was D. Roberts' 114.3.

Taken as a body of work, Nitro's entire junior season showed significant progress over his first 2 seasons.

Bottom line is that I can find no data to support the claim that Nitro "really never progressed much in his career here."