13 replies to this topic

#1 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

I couldn't find a thread on here for ALL former basketball players so I figured I'd start one.

Here's a little update on a few former Zips players playing overseas.

Posted Image

#2 Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Awesome article!! :bow:
Terry Bowden. Keith Dambrot. Rick Rembielak. Chuck Amato. Jim Tressel. How ya like dem apples, Terry Pluto?! This is AKRON!

#3 Big Zip

Big Zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Great article....really cool to see Jimmal still playing ball in Europe. Not a bad career he has made out of basketball. I have to imagine there were a few other players who could have continue to play elsewhere but chose to hang it up. It would be really sweet to see the MAC Office do a similar article for each sport across the conference. I think it would be decent recruiting material for the conference.

#4 Class of 82

Class of 82

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Great article....really cool to see Jimmal still playing ball in Europe. Not a bad career he has made out of basketball. I have to imagine there were a few other players who could have continue to play elsewhere but chose to hang it up. It would be really sweet to see the MAC Office do a similar article for each sport across the conference. I think it would be decent recruiting material for the conference.

Thanks for posting that.

I think it's interesting that Jimmal has not only made a great career (and some pretty decent cash) for himself in France, but evidently a great life there as well. I'm pretty sure he's become a French citizen. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

And great for J Wood that he's escaped the Finnish tundra for France, where the weather's not only better but I'm sure the pay is, too.

BTW, can you imagine if Jeremiah was on this current Zips roster? Almost scary to consider what our front court would be like with a beast like him added to the mix.
What's a Zip? Your worst fricking nightmare.

#5 Hilltopper

Hilltopper

Zips Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for posting that.

I think it's interesting that Jimmal has not only made a great career (and some pretty decent cash) for himself in France, but evidently a great life there as well. I'm pretty sure he's become a French citizen. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

And great for J Wood that he's escaped the Finnish tundra for France, where the weather's not only better but I'm sure the pay is, too.

BTW, can you imagine if Jeremiah was on this current Zips roster? Almost scary to consider what our front court would be like with a beast like him added to the mix.

Jimmal still returns to the Canton area every summer. I see him a couple of times a year and he is having a blast playing pro ball.

1375764_458105717640933_1992065435_n.jpg

#6 CincyZip

CincyZip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

http://akronsportsno...h-swedish-team/

Kara Murphy has also gone pro overseas.

It looks like she is averaging 17 points a game and has quickly become her team's top player.

http://www.eurobaske...y...278&Women=1
My middle name is Intelligence...OK, it's actually just Allen. Bobby Bowden follows me on Twitter...and who are you???

#7 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for posting that.

If J-Wood was on the Zips current roster and had the ability to play a position other than center, he would DOMINATE. Though Harney and Treadwell wouldn't be getting many minutes.

Oh and if he keeps playing the way he is at Pro-B, he may soon find himself with a team at a higher level. I mean he isn't just playing well, he's dominating.

Posted Image

#8 The Hip Zip

The Hip Zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Chris McKnight continues to play well also

#9 Class of 82

Class of 82

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

If J-Wood was on the Zips current roster and had the ability to play a position other than center, he would DOMINATE. Though Harney and Treadwell wouldn't be getting many minutes.

Oh and if he keeps playing the way he is at Pro-B, he may soon find himself with a team at a higher level. I mean he isn't just playing well, he's dominating.

I believe if his team finishes high enough in Pro-B, they will move up to Pro-A. If I'm not mistaken, the French leagues have a two-tiered system that after each season elevates the best teams in Pro-B to Pro-A and the worst teams in Pro-A back to Pro-B. I have no idea about the particulars, but I'm pretty sure that's basically how it works.
What's a Zip? Your worst fricking nightmare.

#10 Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

I believe if his team finishes high enough in Pro-B, they will move up to Pro-A. If I'm not mistaken, the French leagues have a two-tiered system that after each season elevates the best teams in Pro-B to Pro-A and the worst teams in Pro-A back to Pro-B. I have no idea about the particulars, but I'm pretty sure that's basically how it works.

Good system. (This is how soccer works, right?) i wish the NCAA would operate like this. Abolish the BCS.
Terry Bowden. Keith Dambrot. Rick Rembielak. Chuck Amato. Jim Tressel. How ya like dem apples, Terry Pluto?! This is AKRON!

#11 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

that is correct...but I believe that his contract would surely be bought through transfer if he plays like this and they don't move up.

Posted Image

#12 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Another update on former Zips basketball players playing professionally.

Posted Image

#13 RootforRoo44

RootforRoo44

Zips Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Romeo's Israeli team won the Balkan League championship this past weekend and he was named "Forward of the Year" (along with some other honors) yesterday. More info and highlights from the game. Gotta love Romeo hitting some treys.

Posted Image

#14 johnnyzip84

johnnyzip84

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Romeo's Israeli team won the Balkan League championship this past weekend and he was named "Forward of the Year" (along with some other honors) yesterday. Gotta love Romeo hitting some treys.

Here's a 2011 clip of Romeo (#11 in yellow) showing he's still feisty!

Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users