Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

#62 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

I could not sit there and listen to those four great Coach Bowdens and not believe. When you listen to the long list of their accomplishments, you know they have the secret formula bottled up and kept in a private cellar for family use. Bobby talks about having one losing season at FSU before turning it around, and Tommy gets up and asks his dad what a losing season feels like because he's never had one. I've learned over the years not to believe in smoke and mirrors. But this family has the results to prove they don't use smoke and mirrors. I believe they are going to get the job done, and that Zips fans will finally be rewarded for decades of suffering. I can't imagine having a better coach to turn around UA's football program than Terry Bowden. We are headed for the big time.

#63 Zipmeister

Zipmeister

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

It's fun to imagine. Let's say that TB gets us close to the "Big Time" and then departs for greener pastures. Can you imagine the hatred that will be expressed toward him for abandoning us? I look at comments some posters on this board expressed and how personally insulted they were when the King, who had nothing to do with the UOFA, left Cleveland. I imagine those comments will pale compared to those made about TB the traitor.

#64 Hilltopper

Hilltopper

Zips Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

It's fun to imagine.
Let's say that TB gets us close to the "Big Time" and then departs for greener pastures.
Can you imagine the hatred that will be expressed toward him for abandoning us?
I look at comments some posters on this board expressed and how personally insulted they were when the King, who had nothing to do with the UOFA, left Cleveland.
I imagine those comments will pale compared to those made about TB the traitor.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

1375764_458105717640933_1992065435_n.jpg

#65 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

“It’s real simple, whoever gets the best players wins. It’s all wrapped up in their recruiting. The whole key to winning is getting the best players. That’s just as simple as it is,” he said. Best quote from GT's article. I've been telling everyone for years...You don't win with Xs and Os. You win with Jimmies and Joes. Remember, most every coach knows the same as the next coach. It's a matter of getting talent then turning that talent into something. If you don't get the talent, you can't make anything out of it (You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop).
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#66 akzipper

akzipper

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

It's fun to imagine.
Let's say that TB gets us close to the "Big Time" and then departs for greener pastures.
Can you imagine the hatred that will be expressed toward him for abandoning us?
I look at comments some posters on this board expressed and how personally insulted they were when the King, who had nothing to do with the UOFA, left Cleveland.
I imagine those comments will pale compared to those made about TB the traitor.

It just comes with the territory of being in a poor conference like the MAC. It happens every year, we see coaches jump to other conferences. I think the reason most were mad about Lebron, was that 90% of NE Ohio was positive he would stay. When you're so certain about something, just to be proven wrong. It stings! My suggestion to Zips fans is to appreciate what we have now, and try to make the best of it. They will be moving up, it's just a matter of time really. I HIGHLY doubt that Porter, Dambrot, Bowden, and even Tressel will all be employed at UA in a few years. The chances for all of them to be here for an extended period of time, are not very good. UNLESS, we can get out of the garbage conference that is the MAC. Something that also is very unlikely. Just make the most, and hope that all of these coaches will leave UA in a better place than it was when they arrived.

#67 Dr Z

Dr Z

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,166 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Somebody please take a new photo at this event, that photochop job is terrible. :unsure:

Thank you Paul (4 of 9).

michgamebanner2.jpg

"I've been fortunate in my life time to be part of some big wins, and that would have been the biggest" —Terry Bowden on UA@UM

#68 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

My suggestion to Zips fans is to appreciate what we have now, and try to make the best of it. They will be moving up, it's just a matter of time really. I HIGHLY doubt that Porter, Dambrot, Bowden, and even Tressel will all be employed at UA in a few years.

Porter will certainly have an opportunity to leave for a pro job. As of right now he isn't interested. If he does leave, UA has a multi-decade history of soccer excellence, so I'm not worried that we'll find a great successor. Oh wait...Wistercill....damn.

Dambrot isn't going anywhere.
Bowden hasn't coached a single game at UA, and he's talking over a team coming off back-to-back 1-win seasons, so it's a teensie weensie bit early to speculate on his departing for a better job. Plus he's 56 years old.
Tressel hasn't accomplished a damn thing @ UA since the mid-80's. If he went anywhere, would anyone in Akron even know?
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

#69 zippy_ua_00

zippy_ua_00

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

It just comes with the territory of being in a poor conference like the MAC. It happens every year, we see coaches jump to other conferences. I think the reason most were mad about Lebron, was that 90% of NE Ohio was positive he would stay. When you're so certain about something, just to be proven wrong. It stings! My suggestion to Zips fans is to appreciate what we have now, and try to make the best of it. They will be moving up, it's just a matter of time really. I HIGHLY doubt that Porter, Dambrot, Bowden, and even Tressel will all be employed at UA in a few years. The chances for all of them to be here for an extended period of time, are not very good. UNLESS, we can get out of the garbage conference that is the MAC. Something that also is very unlikely. Just make the most, and hope that all of these coaches will leave UA in a better place than it was when they arrived.

Wrong. Ppl were mad at lebron mostly because he lied to us and the way he went on national tv and made a mockery of cleveland. He said he wouldnt quit until he brought cleveland a championship and he did just that. As for TB leaving, we shouldnt worry about that till the time comes. Hes ours now and thats all i wanna cncern myself with

#70 Zip_ME87

Zip_ME87

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

Porter will certainly have an opportunity to leave for a pro job. As of right now he isn't interested. If he does leave, UA has a multi-decade history of soccer excellence, so I'm not worried that we'll find a great successor. Oh wait...Wistercill....damn.

When the day comes, I implore those in charge to ensure Caleb is involved in recommending/choosing his replacement. He cares so much about his program, players, and fans/supporters, etc. that I know he will want to leave it in very capable hands.

#71 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

I look forward to the follow up: Lunch with the Lot 9’ers™

-Denny Green-

#72 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

UA is a good football team and a new basketball arena away from being a strong candidate to move up to a bigger and better conference. If Coach Bowden turns the football team around and Jim Tressel raises enough money to build a new basketball arena, they could all move up to a bigger and better conference without ever leaving UA. ;)

#73 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

UA is a good football team and a new basketball arena away from being a strong candidate to move up to a bigger and better conference. If Coach Bowden turns the football team around and Jim Tressel raises enough money to build a new basketball arena, they could all move up to a bigger and better conference without ever leaving UA. ;)

I'm a new face and a few million dollars away from being George Clooney.

-Denny Green-

#74 Hilltopper

Hilltopper

Zips Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm a new face and a few million dollars away from being George Clooney.

I'll put my money on the Zips, thank you. ;)

1375764_458105717640933_1992065435_n.jpg

#75 johnnyzip84

johnnyzip84

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

This was a topic of discussion last Saturday. It looks like an actual spring game against another opponent is unlikely to be allowed any time soon, however.

Bowden Ball 2014.....Fiat Lux.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users