Alfred Koroma

Hmm that is weird. Our other incoming players are listed as coming to Akron, including Fernando Pena whose verbal was announced after Koroma. Hope he didn't change his mind, but the only reason I could see him doing that was for a profession contract, and this list excluded guys who have signed a contract already. In my mind, it wouldn't make sense to rescind your verbal unless you have already signed a contract. This is all just speculation though. Hopefully it was a mistake and he is still coming. If not, I'm sure Porter or one of his staff members will venture into the depths of South America or the Caribbean or somewhere to find another #9

Hmm that is weird. Our other incoming players are listed as coming to Akron, including Fernando Pena whose verbal was announced after Koroma. Hope he didn't change his mind, but the only reason I could see him doing that was for a profession contract, and this list excluded guys who have signed a contract already. In my mind, it wouldn't make sense to rescind your verbal unless you have already signed a contract. This is all just speculation though. Hopefully it was a mistake and he is still coming. If not, I'm sure Porter or one of his staff members will venture into the depths of South America or the Caribbean or somewhere to find another #9

Probably an error, like misspelling Souders.

Not only does College Soccer News show Koroma as non-commital, but they go on to write this little tidbit [url="http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index_files/Page4754.htm"]:

College Soccer News:

Who is next in line at Akron?

For four consecutive seasons the Zips have lost a big time goal scorer but it hasn’t presented a significant problem since someone has always been on board who was capable of filling the gap. It went like this: Steve Zakuani to Teal Bunbury, Bunbury to Darlington Nagbe, Nagbe to Darren Mattocks. Zakuani left in 2008 after his sophomore season to enter the professional ranks. Bunbury did the same in 2009 at the conclusion of his sophomore season. Nagbe followed suit in 2010 after his junior season. Mattocks completed the cycle when he elected to take his game to the professional level in 2011 at the end of his sophomore season.

The success that Zakuani, Bunbury, Nagbe, and Mattocks achieved at Akron speaks well for the program but the exit left enter right scenario of big time goal scorers looks to have at least temporarily come to an end heading into the 2012 season.

Not only does College Soccer News show Koroma as non-commital, but they go on to write this little tidbit [url="http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index_files/Page4754.htm"]:

College Soccer News:

Who is next in line at Akron?

For four consecutive seasons the Zips have lost a big time goal scorer but it hasn’t presented a significant problem since someone has always been on board who was capable of filling the gap. It went like this: Steve Zakuani to Teal Bunbury, Bunbury to Darlington Nagbe, Nagbe to Darren Mattocks. Zakuani left in 2008 after his sophomore season to enter the professional ranks. Bunbury did the same in 2009 at the conclusion of his sophomore season. Nagbe followed suit in 2010 after his junior season. Mattocks completed the cycle when he elected to take his game to the professional level in 2011 at the end of his sophomore season.

The success that Zakuani, Bunbury, Nagbe, and Mattocks achieved at Akron speaks well for the program but the exit left enter right scenario of big time goal scorers looks to have at least temporarily come to an end heading into the 2012 season.

I think the key point here, is there isn't anyone on board from last year. We had Bunbury and Zakuani playing together, and then Bunbury and Nagbe, and then Nagbe and Zakuani. Last year it was Zakuani and... That's the point, the reigning heir isn't in place as in years past. I don't take this as a sign that Koroma isn't coming.

Wanna know what shocks me on this list: Look at #21 Tarik Salkicic (to Tulsa!). How did he fall that far? Didn't this guy get a cap with Bradley's Senior National Team, right after the World Cup? Was it the same game that Bunbury got his first start, vs South Africa? I seem to remember Agudelo having a big game. Am I mis-remembering?

Wanna know what shocks me on this list: Look at #21 Tarik Salkicic (to Tulsa!). How did he fall that far? Didn't this guy get a cap with Bradley's Senior National Team, right after the World Cup? Was it the same game that Bunbury got his first start, vs South Africa? I seem to remember Agudelo having a big game. Am I mis-remembering?

I believe you're thinking of someone else, but he has played for the US U-17's. Bunbury did receive his first cap in that game replacing Robbie "can't score a goal from 5 ft" Findlay. Bunbury was involved on the play Agudelo scored the lone goal in that game.

I believe you're thinking of someone else, but he has played for the US U-17's. Bunbury did receive his first cap in that game replacing Robbie "can't score a goal from 5 ft" Findlay. Bunbury was involved on the play Agudelo scored the lone goal in that game.

Well, I guess I was off-target. I see "the Boss" Gale Agbossoumonde got his US debut late in this one, maybe I was thinking of him.

Top drawer thinks he's still coming to Akron

Here are some top signings we expect today:

Girls

Lindsey Horan – North Carolina

Laura Liedle – Stanford

Cari Roccaro – Notre Dame

Ashley Spivey – Maryland

Cassie Pecht – Duke

Boys

Alfred Koroma – Akron

Jalen Robinson – Wake Forest

Zachary Carroll – Virginia

Michael Ambrose – Maryland

Cole Nagy – UCLA

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminu...al-signing-day/

Top drawer thinks he's still coming to Akron

Here are some top signings we expect today:

Girls

Lindsey Horan – North Carolina

Laura Liedle – Stanford

Cari Roccaro – Notre Dame

Ashley Spivey – Maryland

Cassie Pecht – Duke

Boys

Alfred Koroma – Akron

Jalen Robinson – Wake Forest

Zachary Carroll – Virginia

Michael Ambrose – Maryland

Cole Nagy – UCLA

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminu...al-signing-day/

Like last year, Caleb Porter is going to hold off for a few days to announce our men's soccer signees. With Koroma being questionable, these could be a few anxious days for us.

Like last year, Caleb Porter is going to hold off for a few days to announce our men's soccer signees. With Koroma being questionable, these could be a few anxious days for us.

Caleb Porter has bigger things to worry about right now, and I'm not talking about the U-23s either!

Caleb Porter has bigger things to worry about right now, and I'm not talking about the U-23s either!

I think Yaz is talking about the new family member Caleb and his wife are welcoming into the world within the last 24 hours.

Congrats to the Porter family!

EDIT: As mentioned above by Yaz!

Koroma still a ? Per this ESPN article, we at least wouldn't be losing him to another school. It would be the pros that would take him away from us

Even with those committed, there remain questions -- perhaps none as significant as Texas native Alfred Koroma. The Youth National Team standout has committed to Akron, however, he will have professional opportunities in the near future. As one source close to Akron said, “We’ll be holding our breath and hoping he shows up in August.”