Akron Baseball 2012

RootforRoo44

I know the hiring of Terry Bowden has excited football fans. Well, the hiring of new baseball coach Rick Rembielak has excited baseball nuts like myself. Coach Rembielak has some decent talent to work with and a VERY good pitching staff. There are several pro talent athletes on this team and I'm expecting this team to turn some heads by May.

Any other baseball fans out there excited for the season?

oh, and here's part one of my five-part preview of this year's team: Zips Baseball Season Preview: Part 1: Outfield

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honestly I find it tough to get excited about college baseball in general. I'm a huge Indians fan and love the game, just have found that when it comes to college I find softball more entertaining than baseball. But I hope to see every Zips team succeed and wish the new coach the best of luck!

Fundamentally sound baseball is fun to watch. I think Zips baseball could do much better than they have been and be more enjoyable to watch. The improvements to the outdoor athletics complex around the baseball stadium will help too.

The previous coach constantly made baffling personnel decisions that really damaged the team's sense of consistency. I trust that coach Rembielak won't make that same mistake. That alone might be enough to make the team more competitive in the MAC. Coach should also be able to draw better local talent to the team.

I want a good baseball team on campus. NE Ohio is a strong baseball area, but the college game has been lagging behind, in part because of UA's own baseball woes. Competing consistently with Can't and developing a rivalry like we have in basketball where we're duking it out with them near the top of the conference standings would be huge for UA. We need a strong spring sport because it helps keep the university on the minds of sports fans and alumni for a few months instead of drifting away after basketball.

We can be good in the MAC in baseball. There's no reason why we can't. And it can be fun to watch.

I really enjoy baseball no matter if they win or lose, though winning would be awesome! :)

I feel that the Zips should try to play most of their games at Canal Park, and leave the baseball field alone as it is pretty horrible.

Agreed that field is an eye sore in the middle of campus. It would be great to play more at Canal. Maybe baseball gets a little renovation someday. After the JAR of course.

Agreed that field is an eye sore in the middle of campus. It would be great to play more at Canal. Maybe baseball gets a little renovation someday. After the JAR of course.

Now that would be a great location for a new arena; fronting Exchange & next to Cub Cadet Field. Make Canal Park the baseball team's permanent home. On the few occassions there may be a conflict with the Aeros, play @ St. V/M or Summit Lake Park.

Now that would be a great location for a new arena; fronting Exchange & next to Cub Cadet Field. Make Canal Park the baseball team's permanent home. On the few occassions there may be a conflict with the Aeros, play @ St. V/M or Summit Lake Park.

I see on the schedule they have a game at Munson Stadium in Canton so there's another option.

I see on the schedule they have a game at Munson Stadium in Canton so there's another option.

That's interesting. I see it's against West Virginia. I like it! Get us some extra publicity down in Canton. That'll be a huge deal for Canton. Very cool. I've tossed around the idea for a while now that we should play one basketball game a year in the Canton Memorial Fieldhouse. Kinda make Canton our home away from home. Get that city associating w/ UA.

Been a baseball fan most of my life (started watching the Tribe in 76), and have been to several Zips ballgames a year since starting college. It will be a lot more fun when we have a competitive team again (in 08 we were above .500, hard to believe now).

Having the games on campus was convenient, I went to games between classes. But not many others did. I wouldn't be against playing at Canal Park, the U's games usually start at 3:00 and the Aeros games usually start at 7:00. Maybe they could do a couple double headers.

I'm excited to see how the "new" team plays. I will likely be at more games this year than I have the past couple.

A bit of baseball news to help get ball talk going, I see catcher Scott Saylor's brother Drew has hung up the cleats and is coaching with the Lake Erie Crushers, where he finished his playing career. All the best to him, they're a great couple of guys.

And a question. Does the club baseball team still exist?

Been a baseball fan most of my life (started watching the Tribe in 76), and have been to several Zips ballgames a year since starting college. It will be a lot more fun when we have a competitive team again (in 08 we were above .500, hard to believe now).

Having the games on campus was convenient, I went to games between classes. But not many others did. I wouldn't be against playing at Canal Park, the U's games usually start at 3:00 and the Aeros games usually start at 7:00. Maybe they could do a couple double headers.

I'm excited to see how the "new" team plays. I will likely be at more games this year than I have the past couple.

A bit of baseball news to help get ball talk going, I see catcher Scott Saylor's brother Drew has hung up the cleats and is coaching with the Lake Erie Crushers, where he finished his playing career. All the best to him, they're a great couple of guys.

And a question. Does the club baseball team still exist?

Actually, Saylor was going to be an assistant on the Zips this season but was recently hired away by the Rockies organization.

It's too bad for the Zips because Drew knows a lot about the game (and he looked WAYYY better in an Akron uniform compared to a Can't uniform).

Actually, Saylor was going to be an assistant on the Zips this season but was recently hired away by the Rockies organization.

It's too bad for the Zips because Drew knows a lot about the game (and he looked WAYYY better in an Akron uniform compared to a Can't uniform).

Good deal. Looks like he's back on his way. Not the way he would have preferred, but things are working out for him.

I'm not sure. There used to be frequent postings from a certain ZNO member concerning club baseball, but I haven't seen them in a while. Was it RootforRoo?

Yes it was, but in 2010 I stepped down from the team after two seasons as head coach. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what happened to the team, as they do not exist as an Akron Club sport anymore. I know there was a falling out between some of the remaining members but I don't know what exactly happened.

• 2 weeks later...
Ouch, we lost our season opener 7-1 to some school named Elon. :(

Elon is fairly legit in the world of college baseball. They have been to the regional round of the CWS for three of the last four years and were 36-21 last year.

We are going to struggle early on against team's like Elon, App State, and USC; but our schedule is weaker than the last few years. We should be sitting decent by the time we get to our home opener.

• 2 weeks later...

Used to go to several games a season. Actually if the weather was good I didn't mind taking a chair and sitting at Jackson Field. But,its tough to get motivated to go to a game when the teams has been as bad as it has and the weather around here in March and April is so shitty.

With Can't and its highly thought of program sitting 12 miles away its going to take a few years and some wins to consistently start attracting legit talent.

What was it,1986 when they went to the NCAA and played T.Tech? I was living in Texas at the time. Oh well.