Akron Baseball 2012

RootforRoo44

A run in the bottom of 9th. Sam Watkins with GW single . 2-1 final . Sweep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Back-to-back games with a walk off hit for Watkins!

We're a little too conservative on offense but man is our pitching staff bringing it lately. Watch out Can't, we're coming for you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back-to-back games with a walk off hit for Watkins!

We're a little too conservative on offense but man is our pitching staff bringing it lately. Watch out Can't, we're coming for you!

i havent been able to make it to a game (REALLY wanted to), but it sounds like the baseball team is really starting to kick some ass right now. at the very least Im happy to hear the positive performances and especially the wins!

• 2 weeks later...

Good day for the Baseball team, beating CMU 7-0 and Andrew Brown setting the program record for career innings pitched.

They're now 17-25, but are 10-6 in the MAC and are 3rd in the MAC East and tied for 3rd overall. They need to pick up momentum against CMU because the toughest games are still to come with series against Ohio and at Miami and Can't.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope to see a big turnout of Zips fans tomorrow at 1pm in Can't for the regular season finale.

It's all come down to one game (God knows how). If the Zips win: They are in...simple as that.

Seriously, clear your schedule and come out and support this team. They may be in one of the worst losing streaks in years but they still have a chance to make the MAC Tourney for the first time in SEVEN years. We get to Avon and anything can happen with our solid starting pitching.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully Rembielak can raise the level of baseball here simply close to what is happening at that school in Portage County. For a team from the MAC or America East(go Stony Brook) to work through a regional and super regional to go to the College World Series is hard to comprehend. Anyway,a tip of the cap to those guys.

Absolutely, it certainly shows what is possible with a lot of growth and recruiting.

And we have a CWS program to measure ourselves against several times a year.

I know a lot of folks on this board won't acknowledge anything that the school in Portage County accomplishes in sports. But,they are really in the top 3 in baseball programs in Ohio. They are possibly the best program right now. How ironic that the pitching coach over there,Mike Birbeck,threw for Akron and that a former K... coach is at Akron. I am old enough to remember when the Zips went to the baseball regionals,I believe in 1988 and played T.Tech. I was living in Texas at the time. Baseball doesn't have a big following here because the program has been so bad. But, become competetive and there will be some folks showing up at Canal and Lee Jackson regularly.

I know a lot of folks on this board won't acknowledge anything that the school in Portage County accomplishes in sports. But,they are really in the top 3 in baseball programs in Ohio. They are possibly the best program right now. How ironic that the pitching coach over there,Mike Birbeck,threw for Akron and that a former K... coach is at Akron. I am old enough to remember when the Zips went to the baseball regionals,I believe in 1988 and played T.Tech. I was living in Texas at the time. Baseball doesn't have a big following here because the program has been so bad. But, become competetive and there will be some folks showing up at Canal and Lee Jackson regularly.

Lee, you've made the exact same mistake as ESPN -- spelling Mike's name without the "k". He didn't get a lot of 'K"s in his Akron career, as I recall, being more of a finesse pitcher. Nonetheless, his name was and is Mike Birkbeck. And I thing, the only UA baseball games I ever attended were his OVC pitching outings at LJF.

I'm sending out a msg to both Akron fans and our Hawaii alumni and fans of that other school in my town to meet for the CWS games at Varsity Grill off the UH Campus in Manoa. Since Ben Curtis failed to qualify for the US Open, fans of the Portage County school (when are mods going to grow up, and let us name them?) have no one else to cheer for this week. ;) Fact is, success for any Akron area school is good for everyone. Good luck to Coach Stricklin's guys, they have as much (actually more) of a chance of winning this as Fresno State did in 2008, when they took gold.

And you don't have to really recruit out of this area. Baseball team in Portage County just showed that a roster of 27 guys from Ohio, and 7 guys from Western PA can make it to the College World Series...Just have to get the right mix of guys...so hopefully Coach Rembielak can do that here...

Congratulations to the Flashes for getting this far. I will absolutely root for them. Their success is pulling us along to a higher level of play. I hate that they are better than us, but they truly are and once we realize that we can get our program and asses in gear to compete and hopefully one day better them. That's competition. Those ZNO posters who refuse to acknowledge K.S.U.'s excellence are only holding us back because they cannot accept reality.

Good luck to the Flashes, I hope they win it all. And I want to beat your golden asses in every game we play!

Alex Loftin was recently signed by the Lake Erie Crushers and he made his debut today going 5 innings and allowing only one run. Not a bad start to his professional career.

Meanwhile 23rd round pick Andrew Brown just reported to short-season Rockies affiliate the Tri-City Dust Devils at the start of the week. Their opener is tomorrow (6/15) night.

• 2 weeks later...

Former Zip Drew Turocy is hitting .362 1 21 and 5 SB with a .848 OPS in his first year with Grenville of the South Atlantic League. He's a regular in RF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GEneral question for the baseball crowd: What prevents the UA of playing ALL home games at the Canal Street ballpark?

It's a fantastic recruiting tool and with some joint effort at scheduling with the AEROS, I believe it could be a successful joint venture and a shot in the arm to the BaseBall program.

• 3 weeks later...