Will Zeke will be back?

I know it's early to start the speculation of Zeke playing his senior year, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Year after year Zeke has improved his game both offensively and defensively. If the Zips make the Tourney again Zeke's draft stock would rise, but I say Zeke has to stay at Akron because he is not a LIGHTS OUT center yet. But, then again you don't have to be lights out even in the NBA.

I know it's early to start the speculation of Zeke playing his senior year, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Year after year Zeke has improved his game both offensively and defensively. If the Zips make the Tourney again Zeke's draft stock would rise, but I say Zeke has to stay at Akron because he is not a LIGHTS OUT center yet. But, then again you don't have to be lights out even in the NBA.

I think it would be best if he stuck around for his senior year. Get that degree and improve his stock in the draft.

I think it would be best if he stuck around for his senior year. Get that degree and improve his stock in the draft.

Zeke should graduate in december. He came to Akron to get a degree and win championships. I guarantee you...he's staying to accomplish those goals. He realizes that one more year will improve his draft position by becoming a better rebounder, etc.

Year after year Zeke has improved his game both offensively and defensively.

When the Zips make the NCAA Tournament this year, he has to play better than he did against ND last year. Zeke needs to prove he can play against top flight centers in college basketball and not the junk in the MAC if he wants to prove he belongs in the NBA after his senior season.

When the Zips make the NCAA Tournament this year, he has to play better than he did against ND last year. Zeke needs to prove he can play against top flight centers in college basketball and not the junk in the MAC if he wants to prove he belongs in the NBA after his senior season.

How about if we take this one step at a time, and just wish that he can get better than many of the post players in the MAC? Watching him score 2 points while watching J. Jones score 25 on Tuesday night doesn't get me excited about his chances of ever playing in the NBA.

No way should Zeke even consider leaving after this year. He simply is not ready. His offensive game, though better than it was, still has a long way to go before he could be a legitimate NBA player.

The other part of the equation here is the quality of this years draft class. After the uncertainty surrounding last years draft and the lockout, this year is LOADED with talent. It is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in recent NBA history. At this point, Zeke would be lucky to be an early second rounder (which means no guaranteed contract btw) in this years draft. Stick around another year, improve that offensive game and let the talent pool thin out a bit and he could sneak into the late lottery next year.

You're right, Buckzip. Zeke is not an NBA player. He's a college player right now.

NBA draft websites currently project him as a second round draft pick in 2013.

Zeke looked like an NBA player tonight. Still, with this year's draft as loaded as it is, he should be back next year. But even if he leaves this year (which I don't imagine he will), somebody will take him in the second round. I don't see him going undrafted just based on how he can affect the game defensively. After all, Ryan Hollins is still hanging around, and outside of showing up for a couple of games a year (usually against either the Heat and Knicks), he hasn't done anything other than being 7-foot.

I do agree, though, that with one more year and more offensive improvement, Zeke could be a potential lottery pick. And unlike any other position, the NBA isn't going to knock a 4-year, 7-footer. Those guys always take longer to develop. At 22 or 23 and a first round pick, Zeke would be assured to have his rookie option picked up, which means at least a five or six year NBA career. And if he continues to have the desire to play and get better, and with centers generally aging well in the NBA, he could easily carve out a 10-plus-year career even if he stays next year.

Regardless, he's in a good spot. He's going to get his degree, and will play in the NBA (or pick up an NBA check) whenever he decides comes out.

Worst case for him (and probably the most likely) if he leaves this year, is he is a second round pick, makes a club and then is placed in the D-League. If that's the case, he will have to weigh whether or not playing in Canton (albeit getting paid) in front of 500 people is better than playing in front of (hopefully) 5,000 rowdies next year on a more experienced, tournament-level Akron team.

I believe Zeke will be a lottery pick at the conclusion of this year.

Also would like to nominate this thread for "thread of the year." :bow:

A lottery pick at the conclusion of the year??? You have got to be kidding. Zeke has a long way to go skill-wise, physically, and mentally before he could ever be considered an NBA prospect. IAnybody that thinks he would be a lottery pick in the 2012 draft is not watching the same Zeke that I have seen getting pushed around and out-muscled throughout the MAC season so far. But he is a smart kid, and he knows what he has to do, and I would not bet against him making it in a couple years, or after a year in the D-League.

I love Zeke. He is a wonderful basketball player, a class act, and will go down as one of the best Zips of all-time. With that being said:

1) He is not ready for the NBA. He has shown flashes of dominance as a junior, but still hasn't developed the consistency that NBA prospects need to show. With the rest of this year and another full season, he will (hopefully) develop that consistency.

2) Zeke will make it in the NBA, but most likely as a 2nd round pick, and as a backup center...very similar to Ryan Hollins. I will be absolutely stunned if he was a lottery pick...I hope to be stunned though.

A lottery pick at the conclusion of the year??? You have got to be kidding. Zeke has a long way to go skill-wise, physically, and mentally before he could ever be considered an NBA prospect. IAnybody that thinks he would be a lottery pick in the 2012 draft is not watching the same Zeke that I have seen getting pushed around and out-muscled throughout the MAC season so far. But he is a smart kid, and he knows what he has to do, and I would not bet against him making it in a couple years, or after a year in the D-League.

Here's your sign.

http://billengvall.cinderblock.com/