Mt. Pleasant

Quickzips

Well, I suppose I'll be the one to take the conversation off of bracket buster speculation and the WAY too early NCAA tourney seeding discussions.

In case we all forgot, there is in fact a game today up in Mt. Pleasant Michigan. Central Michigan is another of the bottom of the barrel MAC West teams. Despite having the most highly touted recruit in MAC history, they are absolutely abysml. They won their first two games in conference, and have dropped 4 straight since then. This is a team that the Zips should not have much difficulty handling. So long as we come out of the locker room ready to play this should be at least a 14-15 point win.

On another note, I really don't envy Central at all. They are in a tough position. They have a great player there in Trey Zeigler, but their coach, Ernie Zeigler is an absolute joke. Only problem is, if you fire the coach, you can pretty well bet the player will be asking for his release that day. Personally, I would just go ahead and bite the bullet. Even with Trey, this team doesn't have the appearance of a team that will be capable of making any noise in the MAC over the next 2.5 years. They really just need to blow the whole thing up and start over again.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So long as we come out of the locker room ready to play this should be at least a 14-15 point win.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Quick.

Your above quote is what I most want to see. I want to see the Zips bring the hammer down early, with their starters, before the bench bunch even takes off their shooting jackets. Let's control a game from tip-off to final horn for a change - like we did against Mississippi State.

Here is George Thomas' article for the Akron Beacon Journal. Not much new here, but, with this game there's probably not really a lot to say. If the Zips play hungry, I'm picking a 20-point Zips win. (Of course, CMU may make the final score a bit closer as Akron finally gets to play their real bench - Egner, Deji, Kyle & C.J.)

And finally, just for kicks, this quote from GT's article doesn't make any sense:

"During the current losing streak, the Chippewas are averaging just 59.4 points, anemic by any standard, but especially so in the Mid-American Conference's grind-it-out style of hoops."

:lol:

Maybe CMU could borrow a few players from the women's team. They look like they have some fight in them. ;) Too bad this isn't a home game to give the Rowdies some fodder. One good note, if the Zips can slip out of town with a win tonight, 6 of the last 9 league games will be at the JAR (of course, none of the three away games will be particularly easy).

Overconfidence and taking an opponent for granted are characteristics usually found in young, inexperienced teams. I fear that the team may come out extremely flat tonight. I am actually expecting to see McClanahan and Cvetinovic to step up a bit tonight.

For some reason, though, this game scares me.

Overconfidence and taking an opponent for granted are characteristics usually found in young, inexperienced teams. I fear that the team may come out extremely flat tonight. I am actually expecting to see McClanahan and Cvetinovic to step up a bit tonight.

For some reason, though, this game scares me.

Agreed. CMU is bad, not terrible. Vegas only favors us by 5, and that should tell us something. From what I can gather through online stalking, it looks like both PGs are ill(Deji, Rico). No word on how that will affect PT tonight. It's a raging blizzard outside right now, but should stop well before gametime. We'll see if it has any affect on attendance.

After a couple of good games in Valparaiso earlier in the season, Tree came into the Detroit game with the attitude: "every ball I throw will go in the basket" and he finished the game with 0 points on a 0-4 shooting night. This experience, together with the suspension he had turned light bulb in his head and made him realize that he had to work hard to get good shots and make baskets...next game against CSU: 15 points for tree.

Fast forward a couple of months: Nick Harney is the hero after his Can't State game, he went to Muncie with the attitude: "all I need to do is show up and let the ball fly, It will go in because I am the great Nick Harney". The outcome, 2 points on a 1-7 shooting night. Tonight Nick Harney will play with a vengeance. If given enough playing time, look for a 20+ points NBA performance from the Freshman? I still can't believe that :wave:

..... And finally, just for kicks, this quote from GT's article doesn't make any sense:

"During the current losing streak, the Chippewas are averaging just 59.4 points, anemic by any standard, but especially so even in the Mid-American Conference's grind-it-out style of hoops."

:lol:

Fixed it.

The Zips always seem to lose to an inferior MAC West team or two, especially on the road. Last season's road losses to RPI 300+ NIU and EMU took the Zips out of contention for the regular season MAC championship. And the season before, EMU embarassed the Zips in the JAR.

The current Zips team has been showing recent signs that they have enough firepower in their 9-player rotation to overcome sluggish performance by the team in general, especially in the 2nd half. But they can't afford to let up or back off with MAC West teams or the odds will go back up that the Zips will get upset sometime in the next 4 games.

Harney will throw down 30 points.

But really I think that we'll start out a bit sloppy, and have to rely on another 2nd half run to get us the W. If that happens great, but one of these days the run won't come and we'll lose to a terrible team...remember Buffalo...

If it only happens once we will win every single game and become :champs::NCAAC: