2012 verbal: LB Keionne Baines

I will keep saying this until I am blue in the face.... There is no coach in the country who is better at evaluating and coaching linebackers than Coach Amato :wall:

I won't believe it until I see results on the field. I'm not saying you're wrong, just having a tough time getting excited about recruits with two or less stars that no mediocre schools even want. Accomplishments at FSU and NCState are good and all, but at the end of the day they are meaningless to the Zips...

I won't believe it until I see results on the field. I'm not saying you're wrong, just having a tough time getting excited about recruits with two or less stars that no mediocre schools even want. Accomplishments at FSU and NCState are good and all, but at the end of the day they are meaningless to the Zips...

Look at guys like Page from Toledo. he was a 2 star nothing coming out of high school. Stop banking everything on recruiting services.

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's the "star" ratings that are meaningless. Many of the players around the country are never scouted by Rivals, ESPN, etc. Even when they are, if you look at the dates of the evaluations, they are done over the summer prior to the season. Guys get bigger, stronger, or just plain better in their senior season. I am going to trust our coaches opinions over somebody who scouted a guy once 8 months ago. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if all these guys were considered elite by everyone, but it really doesn't matter.

Agree with Zach 100%. The star system is not a reliable indicator of talent. There are wayyyyy too many 4-5 star players that end up being busts, while plenty of guys who don't have a rating ending being starters at big programs, and having great careers. Great coaches NEVER rely on anyone's assessment of a player other than a) the high school coach and B) their own personal assessment.

Please do not get caught up on Rivals or Scouts rankings... Recruiting has become a "spectator sport" itself and is HUGE business. Yahoo! Sports bought Rivals 4-5 years ago for over $100 MILLION! It is more about perception, and who owes who than true scouting.

He does have fairly decent size for a corner (we wouldn't even have to sew him together with another player).

Now I'm totally confused. You said he was too heavy to play linebacker, but fairly decent size as a corner??????? Isn't that backwards?

Regarding this young man, if he can get his grades in shape, he runs a 4.52. 'Nuff said !!!!!!

Now I'm totally confused. You said he was too heavy to play linebacker, but fairly decent size as a corner??????? Isn't that backwards?

Regarding this young man, if he can get his grades in shape, he runs a 4.52. 'Nuff said !!!!!!

:lol: Don't take anything the Zipmeister says too seriously. 99% of the time he joketh.

• Dr Z unpinned this topic