New Stadium

Blue & Gold

Imagine a prominent clock tower at one corner of the stadium....Imagine crosswalks to and from the residence halls, stadium entrances, and nearby vias to campus having a sultry and curvatious design amidst the green space....Imagine the face of buildings on the opposite endzone including restaurants with terrace style seating and accessability (for ticket holders) from both the street and the stadium, as well as a team shop, and various leasable space fronting exchange (also with architectural character).
Imagine....now we sound like Can't State. :screwks:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue and Gold you are EXACTLY RIGHT about the stadium. It SHOULD be unique, and in the vein of Camden Yards and the Jake.C Florida stadium is nice, but wouldn't fit Akron's personality. It's too semetrical and suburban looking. We should have a boxier structure that conforms more to the city block, along Exchange. Red brick facade, brick streets, clock tower etc. would be awesome indeed.Seriously people, check out Case Western Reserve's new place and see how they've integrated their field with the campus and attached dorms. This is a natural starting point that Akron can build from. I can just picture that huge Akron Beacon Journal loge right now, lol. ;)

I'd use symbols of both Akron's History and Akron's Future...Use the traditional red/tan brick you find in the old Firestone/Goodyear buildings, and also mix with lots of clear plastic sheeting in the overhang to symbolize the Akron Polymer leading University. (like the new Beijing stadiums for the 2008 Olympics)Good mix of both.For examples of other items to incorporate into the stadium, at Ohio State the marching badn has a rehersal hall (storage), which may help free up space @ Guzetta Hall... It would also make a great room for future prospects (both musical and athletics)I heard that one of big sponsors (or potential sponsors) for this project, is actually a former marching band (trombone) I think that has a very successful business in Ohio. Can not confirm, but heard that a few months ago.

There has been some "wooing" at the Gardner Theater (student Union) where presentations on the stadium have been occuring over the last few months.
Could you elaborate on this a bit more? Who is doing the presenting? Who is doing the "wooing?" There must be architectural renderings, no?

Seriously people, check out Case Western Reserve's new place and see how they've integrated their field with the campus and attached dorms. This is a natural starting point that Akron can build from.
Great find scottditzen!!!I, the Computer Illiterate One, am going to try to post a hyperlink for all of you to check this construction out! This is Case Western U's new football stadium/dorm project.This is gorgeous! A project with this flavor - done on a D-1 scale - would be revolutionary!!! Could you IMAGINE [Zen :) ] walking down a 30-yard red-brick alley, w/ 5-storied red-brick dorms on each side, just to get to the beautiful new stadium gates?! How cool!!!Case Western Univeristy

The stadium really should have dorms and retail attached. I am looking at Cleveland Stadium right now from my office. I can assure you all it's  as vacant and lifeless as always, save for a few days a year.
Exactly! What's the friggin point of putting a stadium right on campus if it's going to be unused for 357 days in the year.

Dix Stadium Part IIOh man, that would be a nightmare. Let's all say it together, "that is not gonna happen...this is not the Akron of 1980, the admin is too smart to let that hapen!!" I would rather wait even longer to make sure this is whole stadium concept is done right. Will this be a flexible, evolving plan with public input? (I hope so) Or are they going to suddently force everything on us, with all the major decisions having been made in secret???

The new stadium will be a first class facility. What has Proenza done in the past 6 years that would make anyone think he's going to emulate anything related to K-ent football?I also don't want public opinion involved with the stadium design. Retards like Terry Pluto are clamoring for a 20,000 seat venue. That's a joke. Mack Roades is getting paid to do a job. I have 100% faith in him and Proenza that the stadium project will be 1st class all the way. My biggest fear: $500 parking fees to be in one of the handful of "exclusive" tailgate lots. I think a lot of us will miss the cost and flexibility of the Rubber Bowl lower lot once we upgrade to the new on-campus venue.

My biggest fear: $500 parking fees to be in one of the handful of "exclusive" tailgate lots. I think a lot of us will miss the cost and flexibility of the Rubber Bowl lower lot once we upgrade to the new on-campus venue.
i agree. we can kiss the affordable prices of the old rubber bowl good bye. get used to higher ticket, parking, concessions, and god forbid, PSL's for choice seats. the price of the progress we all wanted.

actualy it is Doug Martin not Dean, and i am sure the stadium will be done right, there is alot involved especially with the city. and it will be better then kents, but kents does have their party platforms that serve beer in the stadium, i see that as a huge plus for student and alumni fans, the few there may be.

Since the stadium will be a place where thousands will be first exposed to UA, it would be nice to have tons of display areas to show off what is happening on campus. The stadium, if done right, will be one of the premiere athletic facilities in Ohio and UA should use that opportunity to show the public everything UA has to offer!

The University of Cinicnnati has the perfect "model" for what a 35,000 seat stadium should look like in the middle of campus. While retail is not attached to the stadium, the workout facility is, along with one of the cafeteria's and retail/bookstore very close. The stadium location is, I believe, the 4th oldest used in the country. Obviously, it has gone through a lot of changes, and the difference btwn UC and UA is UC had the stadium and built around it over many years.Here is the link from the site (picture doesn't do it justice):http://ucbearcats.cstv.com/facilities/cinn...es-nippert.html