Free Throws

Quickzips

KD's teams have never been particularly adept at the line, but this years team seems to be a whole new level of bad from the charity stripe. I don't know if it is because of who is going to the line (mostly our bigs) or what. Seems like it is a team wide phenomenon. Our free throw shooting will cost us another game or two this season.

I disagree. I think this team has made great strides in their free throw ability. The 2-3 games it cost us were Valpo and Duquesne, with Cleveland St. maybe being a possible one.

I have no idea what you are watching, but I saw a game last night in which the Zips were well on their way to a sub .500 night at the line until Harney hit a few in a row in garbage time. Diggs' percentage has steadily fallen from above 80% early in the year to 68% as of today. Cvetinovic and McClanahan have both regressed as FT shooters in their senior years. Abreu has become erratic at the line. I suppose you can say that Tree's free throws are looking better as the year is going along, but he is still struggling to make 50% at the line.

I just hope that Valpo, Duquesne, CSU and VCU (WAY too many games btw) aren't the only times this year that this comes back to bite us.

I have no idea what you are watching, but I saw a game last night in which the Zips were well on their way to a sub .500 night at the line until Harney hit a few in a row in garbage time. Diggs' percentage has steadily fallen from above 80% early in the year to 68% as of today. Cvetinovic and McClanahan have both regressed as FT shooters in their senior years. Abreu has become erratic at the line. I suppose you can say that Tree's free throws are looking better as the year is going along, but he is still struggling to make 50% at the line.

I just hope that Valpo, Duquesne, CSU and VCU (WAY too many games btw) aren't the only times this year that this comes back to bite us.

I don't know what you were watching, but the Zips started the game 6-6 on free throws through the first 12.5 minutes (definitely not garbage time). I was thinking that they must have really worked on their free throw shooting. Then they went cold before picking it up again late. Check the play-by-play on gozips.com

I don't know what you were watching, but the Zips started the game 6-6 on free throws through the first 12.5 minutes (definitely not garbage time). I was thinking that they must have really worked on their free throw shooting. Then they went cold before picking it up again late. Check the play-by-play on gozips.com

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/akron/game_stats

The numbers don't lie. This team is regressing as a whole from the line. We haven't regularly shot above 70% from the line since the Midd Tenn. through YSU games. Four of our last 5 we have shot below 65%. We have only been above 70% once in conference play (against Ball State). Last night against Eastern we barely got above 60%. We currently sit 263rd in the country in Free Throw percentage. I frankly don't give a wooden nickle how many we hit in a row to start the game when we end the game at only 60% from the line. If this isn't a concern for you it should be.

This team plays as hard as they need to win. It reminds me of Omar Visquel and how he would only make a strong enough throw to first base to get the runner out. He seemed to be able to sense just how fast the runner was and would adjust his throw accordingly. I know its not the ideal way of doing things, but this team plays hard enough to get the job done when it counts. So I'm just going to shut and enjoy the view!

Stats backup Quickzips. As a team, the Zips are currently shooting 65.9% from the free throw line. That ranks them #263 of 344 D-I teams.

However, it should be noted that the Zips are shooting free throws better than the mighty North Carolina Tar Heels, who shooting 65.1% and are ranked behind the Zips at #283.

There are some other big name schools ranked behind the Zips. Doesn't mean the Zips should be satisfied with where they are. They can do better.