Conference Re-Alignment?

K-Roo

Been reading alot about what C-USA and MWC are planning to do... merger/no merger etc.

There seems be some suggestion of some new conferences forming soon.

I also read, on this board, about Eric Mansfield (Channel 3) tweeting that he had heard of "back room discussions" about making a pitch to the Big East....

I usually stay away from this topic as it tends to veer away from reality.. but I look at what UA has been doing recently and I can't help but wonder what the end-game is?

$65 million Stadium

Terry Bowden

Chuck Amato

Jim Tressell

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The end-game is making a push to get in the realigned Big East, and the Big East selecting Memphis is proof that football success (which is used by so many Akron detractors as why the Zips will never have a shot) won't be the main factor in whether or not UA is chosen. But I can tell you why it's still a pipe dream at this point ... the JAR.

There is no way Akron is in consideration until a new arena is built. However, the fact that Jim Tressel was not only brought in, but his first order of business is to start a fundraising campaign to build a new arena is a big hint on how the "back-room" discussions have been going.

It seems there has been discussion between UA and the Big East, and the Big East has hinted that if a new basketball arena is built, the school would be a serious contender for one of the spots that would be open if/when the league expands to 14 or beyond.

All you have to do is look at who the Big East is bringing in to see what it is trying to accomplish: Bring in schools that have at least above average facilities in both football and basketball that are located in large (top 50) media markets. So far, the schools that have been added are Central Florida (Orlando No. 19 market), Memphis (No. 48 market), San Diego State (No. 28 market), Houston (No. 10 market). Boise and Navy are the exceptions to that, but both are/have become national brands.

When looking at TV market size, this is the list of the top 25 largest markets without a "BCS" football college located directly in it:

4. Philadelphia - Temple and Villanova (already a basketball member in the Big East)

17. Cleveland-Akron - Akron and Can't State

20. Sacramento - Sacramento State

21. St. Louis - No college that qualifies

22. Portland - Portland State???

24. Charlotte - UNC-Charlotte??? (restarting a football program in 2013)

I think it's a matter of time before the Big East takes either Villanova or Temple in football (my guess is Villanova once it solidifies a FBS program. Adding one of those two, though, means at least one other school will be added. I think it's safe to say both won't be from Philadelphia.

Going by the Big East's market-size expansion, next up on the list is Cleveland (Akron and Can't). Can't would need to build both a new football and basketball facility to have a shot, whereas Akron would only need a basketball arena. Akron holds a huge advantage there. Plus, Akron is centrally located in the Cleveland market. Being 35 miles south of Cleveland (roughly 2 million people in its MSA), and 20 miles north of Canton (400,000 people in its MSA) could help to make neither of those fringe areas within the market. Akron's MSA is about 700,000.

Sacramento State has worse facilities than Akron. It's basketball arena (1,200) is smaller than most Division I high schools in the Akron area. While adding West Coast schools to go along with SDSU and Boise is something the league is going to have to consider, it won't be Sacramento State. Portland State (which plays FCS football, anyway) is in the same boat.

Now, Charlotte is an interesting school to follow. If they get up to the FBS level in football, it's a school that will be seriously considered. But considering they won't even start playing until 2013, they are probably seven to eight years away from being in consideration.

After that Top 25, you can go down the list to find some other possibilities (some more realistic than others in top 50 markets)

36. Greenville - East Carolina

39. Kalamazoo- Western Michigan

40. Birmingham- UAB

42. Las Vegas - UNLV

44. Albequerque - New Mexico

Then you have some other schools who could be options outside of top 50 markets (again, some more realistic than others)

51. Buffalo - Buffalo

53. New Orleans - Tulane

55. Fresno - Fresno State

58. Richmond - Richmond??

61. Tulsa - Tulsa

65. Huntington - Marshall

72. Honolulu - Hawaii

73. Toledo - Toledo

Looking at the complete list, Akron's main competition (if a new arena is built) would be Charlotte (if it gets its football program up to speed quickly) and East Carolina (the biggest market left with the most ready-to-compete school in football). Although expanding west can't be counted out.

However, Akron has some advantages outside of the university. Mainly, it would open recruiting doors in Northeast Ohio. In the Cleveland-Akron-Canton area alone, there were 40 kids who signed with BCS schools. The area usually produces 3-4 high-major basketball players as well. That is something that can't be ignored.

The end-game is making a push to get in the realigned Big East, and the Big East selecting Memphis is proof that football success (which is used by so many Akron detractors as why the Zips will never have a shot) won't be the main factor in whether or not UA is chosen. But I can tell you why it's still a pipe dream at this point ... the JAR.

There is no way Akron is in consideration until a new arena is built. However, the fact that Jim Tressel was not only brought in, but his first order of business is to start a fundraising campaign to build a new arena is a big hint on how the "back-room" discussions have been going.

It seems there has been discussion between UA and the Big East, and the Big East has hinted that if a new basketball arena is built, the school would be a serious contender for one of the spots that would be open if/when the league expands to 14 or beyond.

All you have to do is look at who the Big East is bringing in to see what it is trying to accomplish: Bring in schools that have at least above average facilities in both football and basketball that are located in large (top 50) media markets. So far, the schools that have been added are Central Florida (Orlando No. 19 market), Memphis (No. 48 market), San Diego State (No. 28 market), Houston (No. 10 market). Boise and Navy are the exceptions to that, but both are/have become national brands.

When looking at TV market size, this is the list of the top 25 largest markets without a "BCS" football college located directly in it:

4. Philadelphia - Temple and Villanova (already a basketball member in the Big East)

I think it's a matter of time before the Big East takes either Villanova or Temple in football (my guess is Villanova once it solidifies a FBS program. Adding one of those two, though, means at least one other school will be added. I think it's safe to say both won't be from Philadelphia.

Going by the Big East's market-size expansion, next up on the list is Cleveland (Akron and Can't). Can't would need to build both a new football and basketball facility to have a shot, whereas Akron would only need a basketball arena. Akron holds a huge advantage there. Plus, Akron is centrally located in the Cleveland market. Being 35 miles south of Cleveland (roughly 2 million people in its MSA), and 20 miles north of Canton (400,000 people in its MSA) could help to make neither of those fringe areas within the market. Akron's MSA is about 700,000.

Sacramento State has worse facilities than Akron. It's basketball arena (1,200) is smaller than most Division I high schools in the Akron area. While adding West Coast schools to go along with SDSU and Boise is something the league is going to have to consider, it won't be Sacramento State. Portland State (which plays FCS football, anyway) is in the same boat.

Now, Charlotte is an interesting school to follow. If they get up to the FBS level in football, it's a school that will be seriously considered. But considering they won't even start playing until 2013, they are probably seven to eight years away from being in consideration.

After that Top 25, you can go down the list to find some other possibilities (some more realistic than others in top 50 markets)

40. Birmingham- UAB

42. Las Vegas - UNLV

Then you have some other schools who could be options outside of top 50 markets (again, some more realistic than others)

51. Buffalo - Buffalo

53. New Orleans - Tulane

61. Tulsa - Tulsa

72. Honolulu - Hawaii

73. Toledo - Toledo

Looking at the complete list, Akron's main competition (if a new arena is built) would be Charlotte (if it gets its football program up to speed quickly) and East Carolina (the biggest market left with the most ready-to-compete school in football). Although expanding west can't be counted out.

However, Akron has some advantages outside of the university. Mainly, it would open recruiting doors in Northeast Ohio. In the Cleveland-Akron-Canton area alone, there were 40 kids who signed with BCS schools. The area usually produces 3-4 high-major basketball players as well. That is something that can't be ignored.

Isn't the Big East already using our Stiles Facility for the Big East Indoor Track & Field Championships? I know they were in the past.

Once those leaving the Big East go and those staying stay and those coming in enter, shouldn't the Big East just change it's name to Conference USA?

Good point!

That conference has lost allot of luster in recent years. Still, it would be far better to go there than to stay in the crappy MAC. Even conference USA would be a huge upgrade to where we are right now.

Good point!

That conference has lost allot of luster in recent years. Still, it would be far better to go there than to stay in the crappy MAC. Even conference USA would be a huge upgrade to where we are right now.

Like I said in another topic. Akron is a diamond in the pile of s*** that is the MAC.

Outside of Temple I have ZERO respect for any other schools. We have by far the best facilites when it comes to football, add the potential of a new arena and no other schools are willing to make the kind of commitment to athletics as we do.

40. Birmingham- UAB

42. Las Vegas - UNLV

51. Buffalo - Buffalo

53. New Orleans - Tulane

61. Tulsa - Tulsa

72. Honolulu - Hawaii

73. Toledo - Toledo

I think any thought of Akron joining the Big East is pipe dream. Having said that I would love to see us receive an invitation and I am super-impressed with your argument and research. I'd like to buy you a beer and dream on together. Well done! One day we will be in a better conference. :CK_brew:

I think any thought of Akron joining the Big East is pipe dream. Having said that I would love to see us receive an invitation and I am super-impressed with your argument and research. I'd like to buy you a beer and dream on together. Well done! One day we will be in a better conference. :CK_brew:

Not a pipe dream by any stretch of the imagination. It looks like to me - a basic outsider, new to the program - is that the President is really trying to use UF's "model" of success. They have invested in their athletic programs, and in 20 years or so (or less, really) became an elite educational institution (before you moan about this - unfortunately it is just the truth - this incoming class has 29,000 freshman applications for 6,400 spots - they've got about 50,000 total students). They took the amazing sums of money raised from successful basketball and football and spent it appropriately to keep athletics on top, while continuing to become a better University. 95% of all of their professors has PhDs. That's just impressive to me. And I hate Gators.

Like I said in another topic. Akron is a diamond in the pile of s*** that is the MAC.

Outside of Temple I have ZERO respect for any other schools. We have by far the best facilites when it comes to football, add the potential of a new arena and no other schools are willing to make the kind of commitment to athletics as we do.

I'm going to have to disagree. Toledo just revamped their basketball arena in 2008, and it seats 7,000+ with club seats, loges, etc. Last year they build an indoor practice facility for football. Honestly, I have not been to the Glass Bowl in almost 25 years, but they do get some nice teams coming to play their AND their football team has been way more successful than ours. Not sure if there is room for expansion. I don't think you can discount Toledo from any of these discussions.

I'm going to have to disagree. Toledo just revamped their basketball arena in 2008, and it seats 7,000+ with club seats, loges, etc. Last year they build an indoor practice facility for football. Honestly, I have not been to the Glass Bowl in almost 25 years, but they do get some nice teams coming to play their AND their football team has been way more successful than ours. Not sure if there is room for expansion. I don't think you can discount Toledo from any of these discussions.

Good points. Toledo has been a leader in the MAC for a long time now. It takes more than facilities to have a good football program. Toledo has a history of winning, good coaches, talented players, institutional support and community support. I wish we had the program Toledo does. On the upside, we could be better than Toledo.

Colo St.

Wyoming

UNLV

New Mex

So. Mill

Marshall

E. Carolina

UAB

Tulsa

Rica

Tulane

UTE

Hmm, I'm not too excited by this conference.

Yuck. Even I had go go back to a thread that I started 3 years ago to see what teams I said :unsure:

Not a pipe dream by any stretch of the imagination. It looks like to me - a basic outsider, new to the program - is that the President is really trying to use UF's "model" of success. They have invested in their athletic programs, and in 20 years or so (or less, really) became an elite educational institution (before you moan about this - unfortunately it is just the truth - this incoming class has 29,000 freshman applications for 6,400 spots - they've got about 50,000 total students). They took the amazing sums of money raised from successful basketball and football and spent it appropriately to keep athletics on top, while continuing to become a better University. 95% of all of their professors has PhDs. That's just impressive to me. And I hate Gators.

I'd be interested to know exactly what a basic outsider who is new to the program sees that makes them think that the President is trying to use UF's model of success. Will you elaborate?

As for Florida being an elite educational institution, I do not hate Gators, but I have noticed that the farther south I go, the smarter I become.

Congratulations! You just made the most absurd statement of the year! Tell him what he's won Bob!

gameshow.jpg

Call me crazy, but if I had to choose between staying in the MAC or joining that list of teams in a conference I'd take the latter in a second. The MAC is just dead flat boring in every way. That league would at least bring a few strong programs into the mix. At the very least there would be some great road trips every year to really interesting places. The MAC is just the worst there is. I would LOVE to see Akron get out of it as soon as possible.

Good points. Toledo has been a leader in the MAC for a long time now. It takes more than facilities to have a good football program. Toledo has a history of winning, good coaches, talented players, institutional support and community support. I wish we had the program Toledo does. On the upside, we could be better than Toledo.

One thing Akron has over Toledo is being in a major media market.

Colo St.

Wyoming

UNLV

New Mex

So. Mill

Marshall

E. Carolina

UAB

Tulsa

Rica

Tulane

UTE

Hmm, I'm not too excited by this conference.

I agree with the other poster below. I can see some rivalries developed easily with a couple of these teams. To me, Marshall is a no-brainer. Terry and Doc Holliday grew up together (Doc is a year or two older) in West Virginia - went to/played at WVU together (along with Tommy), and have known each other for years. I know probably 5,000 hillbillies from West Virginia that would travel to Akron to see that one!

E. Carolina has been up and down, but I really like their head coach, and the OC is a very very bright young offensive mind who trained under Mike Leach (Terry spent a lot of time with Mike Leach over the past 4 years learning his offense)

UAB - well -- it IS Alabama -- and honestly, they're just overboard on anything college football.

Tulane? If they could get their act together (Tommy Bowden led them to an undefeated season in 1998 - oh and Rich Rodriguez was on Tommy's staff then) - might be a stretch...

UNLV and Colo State are both programs that could potentially improve substantially..

And a little travel always makes thing more exciting :)