The Concussion Thread

GP1

Came across this today. Complain about it all you want folks, this is VERY promising research which is sure to be expanded upon soon with larger sample sizes.  

The article breaks it down pretty well.  But we discussed on this forum research published earlier this year studying 202 former NFL players, which appeared to link CTE to football players.  The result of that study was that researchers were going to try to locate a biomarker to then predict the existence of CTE in living people.  This new BU research, albeit relatively small sample size, appears to have found a biomarker.  

The discovery comes after Boston University researchers studied the brains of 91 different living subjects, including 23 former college and professional football players, 50 non-athletes who have Alzheimer's disease and 18 non-athletes without Alzheimer's.

The football players in the study "had a heightened level of CCL11, a particular biomarker" of CTE, per Westhead.

Which means now we can expand to a larger, more general population to analyze/follow/make predictions based on the biomarker.  Make predictions of who's more likely to have it, and the severity of it, and by death confirm the predictions.  Were of course still aways away from that.  But in no way shape or form is this bad science, or missleading.

This is very good science folks.  

Connection to football has been indicated.  Now there is a possible bio-indicator, found in heightened levels within Football players studied.  Now for researching both in conjunction together to see if the link in fact is there.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

players today have no idea how to tackle...in my opinion the smaller shoulder pads lead to players using their heads...they launch like missles rather than break down & wrap...i recently watched the 1994 MNF game between denver ( elway) & kc (montana)...steve atwater should be teaching players how to tackle....eddie johnson of the browns too...one of my all time favs...massive pads that he used to tackle...now they all have what were qb pads when i played

Edited by mivid12
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mivid12 said:

players today have no idea how to tackle...in my opinion the smaller shoulder pads lead to players using their heads...they launch like missles rather than break down & wrap...i recently watched the 1994 MNF game between denver ( elway) & kc (montana)...steve atwater should be teaching players how to tackle....eddie johnson of the browns too...one of my all time favs...massive pads that he used to tackle...now they all have what were qb pads when i played

I agree. Very little wrapping up. I will say the Zips are doing a better job at wrapping up this year than last year but still a long way to go.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

i can see it going away for many reasons .... starting at school sponsored levels ... ms hs college

Class action suits against school districts and universities that promote football could be devastating.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

A recent study of thousands of subjects conducted at a renowned medical school found that sooner or later 100% of all former football players die. 

So you don't agree that its at least somewhat troubling that of the two athletes who have died recently both had early signs of CTE?

Edited by Balsy

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

So you don't agree that its at least somewhat troubling that of the two athletes who have died recently both had early signs of CTE?

It's troubling, but at this point, anyone who plays football knows the risks. Joe Thomas is on record for saying he knows what football has done to his body and brain, but he knew the risks when he signed up to play football. That doesn't make it any less sad, nor does it excuse a lack of progress in safety equipment (not saying there is a lack of progress), but it's football. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94