UofA's Rhodes Arena Study

Blue & Gold

Yet (as I said in the previous reply) NONE of that stuff was there UNTIL they built Canal Park. None of that stuff surrounded the Central Market in Cleveland UNTIL they built Jacobs Field and Gund Arena. I could go on and on. If you put the arena on the edge of campus, across from strips that have available space and already some development, you can have the same thing on E. Exchange.

Wanting to put it in the Canal Park district is near sightedness to what the campus could have in it's back yard. You don't need short busses to get from residence halls to bars and restaurants on E. Exchange. People driving by campus would no longer see abandoned buildings.

About the Convo the Cleveland freaking Crunch sold out the place several times. 13,000 seats plus a couple thousand SRO tickets. If the Vikes can't sell there (and they can't) it's because it's an NBA town, CSU is looked at as a community college, a commuter school, lacking football (and now baseball), lacking a CAMPUS, lacking everything a major college has. I've been to CSU games, and I toured CSU before choosing AKron, it's just never going to happen.

The main thing, to me, is I keep going back to what Tressel and Bowden have said. You want alumni to come back to campus so they see what's going on, and will contribute. Bottom line. Alumni returning to campus have a renewed pride in their school. Something I have experienced myself, and have heard others relate.

I've yet to hear a soccer fan whine about the stadium because it's not next to a beer joint. All I hear is how they love the campus, how impressed they are, how they love the atmosphere.

I just believe THAT is better for the university.

First, Zips soccer is primarily a warm weather sport. you can't really compare. The gameday experience for soccer can be more geared to being outside, walking around a bit or tailgaiting. Basketball is different, the entire season is cold. Thus, I'll suggest (and I'm not saying you're arguing vs. this) in this case, for spinoff development to work it has to be in very close proximity. I agree Exchange might offer good opportunities someday. Right now downtown already has better quality restaurants and bars. House of Hunan, Bricco and Lockview are miles ahead. It's noteworthy, even perplexing, that to date Infocision has inspired zero surrounding retail development.

Second, I'm glad you brought up the Crunch. Those fans drove straight into the parking garage and left en masse ten seconds after the games ended. No matter where our arena is located, we definitely don't want that happening at Akron. We want/need a retail and recreation infrastructure to support and foster people wanting to stick around; to patronize businesses on and all around campus. Again, whether downtown or Exchange, this will help UA shed the dreaded commuter image and to become a more lively and liveable place.

Finally, like UA, Cleveland State is in the midst of an ambitious master plan to remake their entire campus. After years of Shrank-esque bad architecture and trying to shield itself from its surroundings, CSU is making headway. They aim to both become more green and to better situate itself by embracing the city ie Playhouse Square (1 million annual visitors!). I really disagree with your statement that CSU's campus growth is "just not going to happen." It ignores the history of our own great transformation process at Akron.

[edit: I now see you may have been referring to CSU's attendance "not happening." Who knows you may be right. But it is still smart to understand what CSU did wrong in the past and make sure we don't make the same mistakes]

http://www.csuohio.edu/alumni/enews/graphics/campusplan.jpg

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many home football games are there? Six ?

How could anyone build a business based on six days a year?

Hoops plays a lot more home games, so it could be a good ADDITION to a going business. But no one could run a business based solely on home Akron basketball games. So I doubt that businesses will spring up around the arena, no matter where it is located. If the facility is a multi use arena, meaning concerts shows and whatever, it would go further to a local business base, but I think UA already has competing venues for some of those events.

Hoops plays a lot more home games, so it could be a good ADDITION to a going business. But no one could run a business based solely on home Akron basketball games. So I doubt that businesses will spring up around the arena, no matter where it is located. If the facility is a multi use arena, meaning concerts shows and whatever, it would go further to a local business base, but I think UA already has competing venues for some of those events.

If the arena were to be built in the area near Canal Park, it would lend support in Late Fall and Winter to the businesses that are supported by the Aeros in Spring & Summer.

You're forgetting what else is in the area of E. Exchange. A MAJOR COLLEGE. An arena could jump start more bars and eateries coming BACK to the street, but the college is the real draw. I remember being a teen in the 80's and remember what the strip was like back then, with all the establishments and all the people. That is something the campus lacks now that other colleges boast (Can't State, Ohio).

In the end, it doesn't matter we think or what bars are where now or in the future.

What matters is the reasons the people in charge want it on campus.

#1 to show off to prospective students and basketball recruits, and

#2 to get alumni on campus so they see what's been done and what those in charge want to do.

Because those prospective students and alumni are the $$lifeblood$$ of the university.

You're forgetting what else is in the area of E. Exchange. A MAJOR COLLEGE. An arena could jump start more bars and eateries coming BACK to the street, but the college is the real draw. I remember being a teen in the 80's and remember what the strip was like back then, with all the establishments and all the people. That is something the campus lacks now that other colleges boast (Can't State, Ohio).

I am not forgetting anything. I have not been there in 41 years! :bow:

Like you, I would absolutely LOVE to see the strip come alive again. We need it to! Unfortunately UA has not done a better job (yet) to jump start more restaurants, better bars, etc. At best UA has a mixed record in fostering that kind of retail comeback. Until UA shows a better grasp of urban planning, I have my doubts that the campus we'll be able to shed the dreaded commuter image soon enough.

One example, we had a golden opportunity to increase walk-ability and improve the street scape along Exchange. Instead we got this looming parking garage fronting right up to the sidewalk. This is not good planning. This is planning for car culture/commuters, not for a top notch, walkable, lively neighborhood for students.

http://www.uakron.edu/resize_image?id=1845070&w=430

^ now maybe the ground floors can be converted to host retail?

Below is parking garage hosted retail in Cleveland.

http://images.citysearch.net/assets/imgdb/...5/7992808p1.jpg

Like you, I would absolutely LOVE to see the strip come alive again. We need it to! Unfortunately UA has not done a better job (yet) to jump start more restaurants, better bars, etc. At best UA has a mixed record in fostering that kind of retail comeback. Until UA shows a better grasp of urban planning, I have my doubts that the campus we'll be able to shed the dreaded commuter image soon enough.

One example, we had a golden opportunity to increase walk-ability and improve the street scape along Exchange. Instead we got this looming parking garage fronting right up to the sidewalk. This is not good planning. This is planning for car culture/commuters, not for a top notch, walkable, lively neighborhood for students.

http://www.uakron.edu/resize_image?id=1845070&w=430

^ now maybe the ground floors can be converted to host retail?

Below is parking garage hosted retail in Cleveland.

http://images.citysearch.net/assets/imgdb/...5/7992808p1.jpg

Unless you have lived in the Exchange/Gallucci/Townhouse area, you have no right to say the parking deck was a waste. Sorry but imagine trying to go home to your house and not being able to find a place to park for 30 min or more. Ever have to carry groceries for 3 blocks? Making 5 trips back and forth across campus. That parking garage was a necessity.

I'm the same person who said it's not a big deal walking downtown for a basketball game. But a 3 block walk to a game is one thing, a 3 block walk HOME is not very enjoyable. Especially since late nights in Akron aren't very safe.

Unless you have lived in the Exchange/Gallucci/Townhouse area, you have no right to say the parking deck was a waste. Sorry but imagine trying to go home to your house and not being able to find a place to park for 30 min or more. Ever have to carry groceries for 3 blocks? Making 5 trips back and forth across campus. That parking garage was a necessity.

I'm the same person who said it's not a big deal walking downtown for a basketball game. But a 3 block walk to a game is one thing, a 3 block walk HOME is not very enjoyable. Especially since late nights in Akron aren't very safe.

I never once said the garage was a waste, or unnecessary. [edit: sorry after re-reading I could have been clearer on that point]

The siting of it, however, is terrible. And I'll say that a million times. The most dead areas of a city are the areas along large parking garages. That's why in this day and age we should know better than to keep making mistakes like this.

Akzipper I'm glad you brought up safety. The safest places have what's called "eyes on the street." You get this when a street is lined with residences and storefronts. (and I'm not talking ghetto-type storefronts like Thursdays Lounge or Zip Mart, but large glass windows). It's good that there are dorms across the street. Even still, this stretch of Exchange could've been much improved with better planning.

• 1 month later...
Was this ever posted? (from akronsportsnow.com)

Yeah, that was worthless.

"One major player left" There are several "major players" left.

Goodyear, Bridgestone, FirstEnergy (and no, $2 million for the soccer stadium is not a major contribution), Sterling, GoJo, and there are Cleveland players as well that are viable options.