UofA's Rhodes Arena Study

Blue & Gold

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with the ballteam playing downtown more often this year, we'll get to see how many alumni attend games now that they're there amongst beer joints and restaurants. ;)

This also opens up the door for the team to move to CP permanently, and using the soccer stadium retention basin they play now for the arena.

Another question, and NO this is not Jake related.

If the University Park property I brought up on East Market and Mill is considered "downtown" while the campus ballpark property on East Exchange isn't?

If the University Park property I brought up on East Market and Mill is considered "downtown" while the campus ballpark property on East Exchange isn't?

Do you really want to go there ha ha.

I like your East Market suggestion. The "Crossroads" District. A future biomedical corridor/mixed-use walkable nieghborhood.

And...it could be the site that is the compromise between the "debate of the century" (I'm being sarcastic) of downtown vs. campus...it's both!

Regardless of where it's built, the team needs to continue winning. We have all seen the fiasco at the Info. Just because you decide to build it, does not mean they will come!

They will show up the first time, but if you disappoint them good luck getting them back.

"Downtown" can be defined many different ways depending on the subject.

For an arena that the Zips would play basketball in, I've been pretty consistent in saying that if for any reason it's not built on campus, it needs to be right on the border of the campus -- within a block or two.

So, in terms of an off-campus arena, I'd define "downtown" to be roughly in the area bordered by the railroad tracks on the east, Main Street on the west, East Exchange on the south and E. Mill Street on the north.

If not there, then immediately across Exchange from the Info in the proposed University Square District.

Anything beyond that and I think it starts getting too disconnected from UA.

Im at the point in this topic where until the University, City, or Both announce some kind of formal details regarding the project, I can't get any more interested in it. We've hashed out everything to such an extent that, really, theres hardly anything left to talk about. I will support whatever is done so long as it provides a better game-day experience for fans and ESPECIALLY students. We can all agree to that. Realistically speaking, anything will be better than the Jar.

If there's a will, theres a way, and I know that if the University wants this bad enough, it'll happen. Until then... focus on supporting the team

Im at the point in this topic where until the University, City, or Both announce some kind of formal details regarding the project, I can't get any more interested in it. We've hashed out everything to such an extent that, really, theres hardly anything left to talk about. I will support whatever is done so long as it provides a better game-day experience for fans and ESPECIALLY students. We can all agree to that. Realistically speaking, anything will be better than the Jar.

If there's a will, theres a way, and I know that if the University wants this bad enough, it'll happen. Until then... focus on supporting the team

I think the new basketball arena should be on the the third floor of the new south quad residence hall. Boom, there you go. You're mind=blown.

Agreed! We needed a football stadium and it happened, we needed a soccer stadium and it happened.

I think the new basketball arena should be on the the third floor of the new south quad residence hall. Boom, there you go. You're mind=blown.

I think they should just paint a basketball court on the top floor of one of the new parking decks and buy a $60 million retractable dome to cover the court on game days. In the world of stupid ideas, you have just been checkmated....I win.

I can't support a team...anymore then I already am when its the off season.

I definitetly can not support a team....that doesn't support me...rehashing what we need in an arena.

So...

I say, build it on top of a residence hall that is on top of a parking deck. Bing, bam, boom huge skyline improvement that thing would have to be over 13 stories tall, 5 level deck, 6 floor residence hall, and a 3-4 story arena. With 10-20 elevators to get all the fans in and out of the thing. I think that one out paces even GP1's boondoggle.

I can't support a team...anymore then I already am when its the off season.

I definitetly can not support a team....that doesn't support me...rehashing what we need in an arena.

So...

I say, build it on top of a residence hall that is on top of a parking deck. Bing, bam, boom huge skyline improvement that thing would have to be over 13 stories tall, 5 level deck, 6 floor residence hall, and a 3-4 story arena. With 10-20 elevators to get all the fans in and out of the thing. I think that one out paces even GP1's boondoggle.

What if we had one that was sort of like a Transformer? Instead of a building opening up into a largely immobile machine, we could have a six story residence hall/pizza parlor that transformed into a basketball arena on game day. We could call it "Building Process Arena/Residence Hall/Pizza Parlor".

What if we had one that was sort of like a Transformer? Instead of a building opening up into a largely immobile machine, we could have a six story residence hall/pizza parlor that transformed into a basketball arena on game day. We could call it "Building Process Arena/Residence Hall/Pizza Parlor".

Ok, but let's make move, so when people want it downtown it can be downtown and when people want it on campus it can be on campus.

Even better, it can go to each Zips fan's house knock on the door and say "It's game time baby, get in here!"

Ok, but let's make move, so when people want it downtown it can be downtown and when people want it on campus it can be on campus.

Even better, it can go to each Zips fan's house knock on the door and say "It's game time baby, get in here!"

I love the idea. Especially given the unlimited supply of funds the University has to build things. We could call it: "Building Process Arena/Residence Hall/Pizza Parlor/Party Bus".

I love the idea. Especially given the unlimited supply of funds the University has to build things. We could call it: "Building Process Arena/Residence Hall/Pizza Parlor/Party Bus".

Oh yeah, and we can call it the BPARHPPPB.

It could be nicknamed the Razz. Since PPPPBBBBBSSSSSSTTTTTT is pretty much how that acronym would be pronounced.

As an aside to the nonsense.

Don't count on Spicer and Exchange being an option anymore. There is a bid for services with construction start expectation of June 2012 for residential development for 225-400 students mostly associated with Greek and other University clubs.

The area up for proposal (though subject to change based on the Sasaki report most likely) is between Vine and Exchange and Spicer and Goodkirk.

Don't count on Spicer and Exchange being an option anymore. There is a bid for services with construction start expectation of June 2012 for residential development for 225-400 students mostly associated with Greek and other University clubs.
At least it will be a short walk to Infocision for the one half of football they attend a year.