Turning to ORU

originalrowdy

Well, let's take a weekend break from MAC basketball and think about bracketbusters, shall we (and something other than 'we should've gotten Iona', please)? A few points:

1. My biggest concern is that this team has lost one game at home this year - in NOVEMBER! I'm not quite sure if this is a result of a homer-friendly environment or they just flat out win there.

2. They've beaten arguably stronger teams (other than Miss St and even that's becoming more questionable).

3. On the other hand, our Zips are hot and on pace to have the best MAC record in better than two decades.

4. A small, albeit still existent, fear is that we somehow overlook this matchup for the inevitable and up-and-coming @OU, UB, and @Ken+ gauntlet.

[i love] Oral will no doubt pack their house for this one. I believe both teams stand to lose a lot in terms of RPI and momentum should they lose. The winner may benefit in terms of bragging rights, but no real shot at at-large here (maybe outside chance).

Final: ORU 68, ZIPS 66 (if we get homered like I think we will)

ZIPS 60, ORU 55 (if impartial refs let em play and we D up)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt. Speaking of poor officiating, was it Darryl Smith making the consistenly wrong out-of-bounds calls last night? Or was it Terry Wymer?
I heard Steve say Wymer once. He also mentioned Charlie was upset at the amount of times the Zips were at the line (26 to 12). Depends on which side of the fence your on.

PS Thank you to the official or officials that T'ed up the Hawks late in the game!

I heard Steve say Wymer once. He also mentioned Charlie was upset at the amount of times the Zips were at the line (26 to 12). Depends on which side of the fence your on.

PS Thank you to the official or officials that T'ed up the Hawks late in the game!

I was sweating the -10 myself. Toledo was the lock of all locks last night getting 9 from Ball St.

Domenique Morrison is a baller. Prime time player...can score from anywhere. It'll be interesting to see how we defend him.

Our size will be a big advantage. They have no one to match up with Zeke and Tree.

The games I watched last week were horrifically attended. Beautiful arens, but no one there. It'll be interesting to see what type of crowd they get.

Wow, a 6'6" sniper. That is tough to defend. We can't give this guy and second looks. Rebounding will be crucial and it sounds like we have the advantage on that front.

He slashes/glides to the hole like Q, and has a nice mid-range game too.

I've only watched 2 ORU games, but it's easy to tell he's "prime time."

ORU's tallest guy is 6'9. He is 245 lbs, so he is larger than Zeke in that aspect. However, besides that, their other "big" guys aren't very big, just taller. I think the key to this game will be our inside game. Will we use the height difference to our advantage? Or will we settle for jump shots like in years past?

Some other keys (no particular order)...

1) Attempt to slow Morrison, but definitely stop Niles, Craion, and Roundtree. Morrison is averaging 20 ppg, but the other three players I mentioned are averaging 12, 11, and 10 (in that order). If you let them go off like that, expect a blow out loss as that would be a combined 53 points between the 4 of them, not including the bench and other role players.

2a) Go at them. Morrison is 6'6 and is one of their better rebounders, so I'm guessing he's aggressive and will foul. Limit his playing time and that is a huge victory in itself.

2b) Make the free throws when at the line!

3) Stay out of foul trouble. We have the height advantage; don't lose it.

4) Rebound. ORU is averaging 74 ppg. I believe a lot of that has to come from second chance opportunities. Don't give them that.

5) Play our game. Tire them out. They are 6 deep with an optional 2-3 more players to throw in if need be. Run the floor well, get out in transition, and keep the pace up.

I believe if they accomplish at least 3 of the 5 items listed above, they will win by a minimum of 5. 4 items accomplished or more, it's a double digit win.

Just a random thought. Any relation between Roderick Pearson, Jr. and Rian Pearson? Both are from Missouri. Cousins maybe?

ORU's tallest guy is 6'9. He is 245 lbs, so he is larger than Zeke in that aspect. However, besides that, their other "big" guys aren't very big, just taller. I think the key to this game will be our inside game. Will we use the height difference to our advantage? Or will we settle for jump shots like in years past?

Some other keys (no particular order)...

1) Attempt to slow Morrison, but definitely stop Niles, Craion, and Roundtree. Morrison is averaging 20 ppg, but the other three players I mentioned are averaging 12, 11, and 10 (in that order). If you let them go off like that, expect a blow out loss as that would be a combined 53 points between the 4 of them, not including the bench and other role players.

2a) Go at them. Morrison is 6'6 and is one of their better rebounders, so I'm guessing he's aggressive and will foul. Limit his playing time and that is a huge victory in itself.

2b) Make the free throws when at the line!

3) Stay out of foul trouble. We have the height advantage; don't lose it.

4) Rebound. ORU is averaging 74 ppg. I believe a lot of that has to come from second chance opportunities. Don't give them that.

5) Play our game. Tire them out. They are 6 deep with an optional 2-3 more players to throw in if need be. Run the floor well, get out in transition, and keep the pace up.

I believe if they accomplish at least 3 of the 5 items listed above, they will win by a minimum of 5. 4 items accomplished or more, it's a double digit win.

Just a random thought. Any relation between Roderick Pearson, Jr. and Rian Pearson? Both are from Missouri. Cousins maybe?

i think another big key is to flat out play aggressive. the game i saw OR play they didnt look physical at all. alot of athleticism but more of a finesse with it. go straight at them from jump ball and keep em on there hills. Morrison was the high man in points but all jumpshots. nothing real elaborate about his game. We should handle these guys!!! :rock:

Wonder if the MAC wil have a winning record against the Summit League after Saturday? WMU is playing very well, and the Buffalo game should be excellent.

SDSU vs. Buffalo

ORU vs. Akron

NDSU vs. Western Michigan

To this end, I am mentioning that this is the last opportunity for the conference to improve its RPI. If the MAC wins enough games in the Bracketbuster, it may be enough to marginally improve our at-large chances.

Wonder if the MAC wil have a winning record against the Summit League after Saturday? WMU is playing very well, and the Buffalo game should be excellent.

SDSU vs. Buffalo

ORU vs. Akron

NDSU vs. Western Michigan

The thing that hurts the MAC is all three games are on the road. 3-0, or even 2-1, would be a huge accomplishment. But I'll take 1-2 as long as it's Akron over ORU.