Temple to the Big East

zippy5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what that does for Villanova, which is moving its football program to FBS status? I can't imagine the Big East will take both Philadelphia schools for football. Plus, with Navy heading to the Big East in 2015, the league would be at 14, and may decide that's where it wants to stay for the time being.

Could this snub prompt Villanova to move all its programs out of the Big East and into the CUSA/MtW "Alliance?" If so, the Alliance suddenly adds a great basketball program, something it sorely needs in the eastern half.

To me, having Akron join the Alliance with Villanova is more appealing than joining with Temple.

The Big East now seems out the question at this point (which there was no shot at anyway). However, as I pointed out before, the Big East continues its market grab, getting back into the No. 4 Philadelphia market. If this move is official, the No. 17 Cleveland-Akron market is now the largest in the country without a FBS football program.

With how this is playing out, I'd welcome a move to the Alliance. It would allow for the Zips to compete with schools with higher profiles. Akron can continue its fundraising for a basketball arena and then hope in 2015 or beyond that the Big East decides it wants to expand further ... or it loses a few members (then the debate would be what's better, The Alliance or Big East).

Well, one comforting fact is that Temple got in despite their history of sucky-ness in f-ball.

No doubt. Temple and Memphis are all the proof anybody needs to see that as long as: A. You are located in a big Market and B. have a solid basketball program (with the facility to match), the Big East is interested.

The Big East now seems out the question at this point (which there was no shot at anyway). However, as I pointed out before, the Big East continues its market grab, getting back into the No. 4 Philadelphia market. If this move is official, the No. 17 Cleveland-Akron market is now the largest in the country without a FBS football program.

I know Akron (and Can't) have been terrible, but I really hope you meant BCS program. ;)

Temple has to pay $2.5 million to the MAC with a 2-year notice. If they don't give us two years to solve scheduling problems, they should be charged much more.

First, I find it difficult to believe this will happen as fast as is being rumored. That said, bailing on the Conference 6 months prior to the start of fball season is worth at least $10 mill even to a conference as bad as the MAC. I'll bet the MAC settles for $3 mill payable in installments over 3 years.

First, I find it difficult to believe this will happen as fast as is being rumored. That said, bailing on the Conference 6 months prior to the start of fball season is worth at least $10 mill even to a conference as bad as the MAC. I'll bet the MAC settles for $3 mill payable in installments over 3 years.

If the Big East might foot some of the bill, we should sue them for $10 million and not settle for anything less than $7.5 million.

Another consequence of this move is that it cripples the A-10 by removing one of their best basketball teams and strongest overall athletic programs.

The MAC can use this to force UMass to join the MAC in all sports. We also need a 14th member to re-balance things. Army should be the MAC's top target, but they won't join. James Madison is the second best option.

This is good news. Now if the league can get down to 11...maybe 12 teams, it will be a better league. I've always thought the league would be better if it was smaller and not larger. Everyone should play everyone every year. The only way to do that is with a smaller league.

This is good news. Now if the league can get down to 11...maybe 12 teams, it will be a better league. I've always thought the league would be better if it was smaller and not larger. Everyone should play everyone every year. The only way to do that is with a smaller league.

Out of curiosity, but who would you prefer to bump?

I think a more likely scenario is the A-10 going after Butler.

The only way that will ever happen is if I say it can't possibly happen.

There is no way Butler elects to leave the Horizon League because they have an excellent shot at automatic NCAA tourney bid each year as the winner of the League tournament. Odds of an automatic bid go down with a move to the A10.

The only way that will ever happen is if I say it can't possibly happen.

There is no way Butler elects to leave the Horizon League because they have an excellent shot at automatic NCAA tourney bid each year as the winner of the League tournament. Odds of an automatic bid go down with a move to the A10.

Technically, I only said that the A-10 would go after Butler. :-)