Dog Paddle

Zipmeister

Rachel Szymkowiak lowered her school record in the 200-yard breaststroke and Carla McNamara set a personal best in 3-meter diving.

View the full article at www.GoZips.com

I read the full article at GoZips.com. The time for our 400 free relay is correct, and second place and seventh place do both start with an s.

Thank goodness for BGSU.

Add in the fact that we have diving and BGSU doesn't and the results are not good. We scored 49 points in diving to barely pass up BGSU. The top swimmers are posting good times but they don't have enough depth to compete with the better MAC teams.

If we were in DIII, our top young female tankers times would be very good. Unfortunately, in DI their times are NOT good.

The top swimmers are quality. The 400 IM time(4:17) is flat out great. The backstroker at :55, 200 free 1:50, 500 Free 4:53, 100 fly :56.0, 200 IM 2:03 are very respectable times. These swimmers are putting decent times but if you look at the results we only have one scorer per event compared to Toledo or Ohio who have four or five swimmers scoring per event.

The top swimmers are quality. The 400 IM time(4:17) is flat out great. The backstroker at :55, 200 free 1:50, 500 Free 4:53, 100 fly :56.0, 200 IM 2:03 are very respectable times. These swimmers are putting decent times but if you look at the results we only have one scorer per event compared to Toledo or Ohio who have four or five swimmers scoring per event.

Unfortunately, it's DIII quality.

Zimmer's time in the 400 IM was the only time Akron had that met the provisional qualifying standard which is way slower than the automatic qualifying time.

Automatic qualifying times are great, her time is OK.

Cross's time in the 100 back sniffed, but did not meet the B standard so her time is almost OK.

The other times you mentioned aren't even close to the DI B standards, but they would be OK if we just participated in DIII.

Your standard for OK is a NCAA "B" cut and great is an "A" cut? I don't think there was any "A" cuts posted at the meet. A "B" cut is a top 8 finisher and that is what I would like to see. The standard I would use for good would times that finaling at the MAC meet. I am not worried about this team at the NCAA level. I would like to see three to four swimmers scoring at the MAC level. I think it is fair to expect Akron to have multiple scorers in each event. By the way, almost every time I listed would be #1 for DIII. This team is beyond DIII but our standard should be scoring more points at the MAC level.

Your standard for OK is a NCAA "B" cut and great is an "A" cut? I don't think there was any "A" cuts posted at the meet. A "B" cut is a top 8 finisher and that is what I would like to see. The standard I would use for good would times that finaling at the MAC meet. I am not worried about this team at the NCAA level. I would like to see three to four swimmers scoring at the MAC level. I think it is fair to expect Akron to have multiple scorers in each event. By the way, almost every time I listed would be #1 for DIII. This team is beyond DIII but our standard should be scoring more points at the MAC level.
\

Yes, that is my standard. You are correct about the lack of automatic qualifiers. Many of the top 4 (not 8) places in each MACC event met the B standard. Some of them might even get to go to nationals. Apparently you have a lot of company; nobody in the MAC is worried about their team at the NCAA level. I agree with you, if we were in DIII, we would be a factor at the national meet.

I think the "A" standard is harder to hit in swimming compared to some other sports. The rule is an "A" standard swimmer can swim their "B" cuts, even if their "B" time would not have been selected for the meet. Here is a small breakdown with some conference comparisons. All conference meets are concluded.

50 Free 6 "A" cuts- no one outside of the big 4(PAC 12, SEC, B10, B12)

100 Free 4 "A" cuts-no one outside of the big 4

200 Free 6"A" cuts-no one oustide of the big 4

500 Free 6"A" cuts-1 ACC cut

200 IM 10 "A" cuts-no one outside of the big 4

200 Back 5 "A" cuts-no one outside of the big 4

The MAC is a decent conference for swimming and will have swimmers continue onto the NCAA meet, but very few conferences have people achieving "A" cuts in most events. The SEC and PAC12 are hitting them all the time but they are the ony ones.