Buffalo

phil

I am looking forward to the game tomorrow night. For those of you that want a new starting lineup will get their wish. I expect the Keith will start Nitro instead of Gilliam because it is senior night. Last year this team came up big toward the end of the season. We have lost 2 out of the last 3 and just got blown out by Ohio U. This is a big game to clinch against a quality opponent that beat us last time we played them. If this team is going to win at the Q or win a game in the NCAA now is the time to come out strong against Buffalo.

I am hoping that Nitro and the Serb have big games on Senior night. I cannot think of a better way to finish your last home game than by winning the MAC championship.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Keith has ever put the Seniors into the starting lineup on Senior night, I have never noticed.

But, I am looking forward to the game. It will be great to clinch at home. ANd if 3,000 people show up, I am going to be quite disappointed.

I'm pretty sure he has done it every year. We need to come out and establish a defensive mindset from the beginning of the game. I would guess the team won't be going to any more movies on the night before the game.

After witnessing the pregame production OU laid on the Zips Sunday and the game effecting OU student and band performance a high bar has been set. I certainly hope a WHITE OUT & A SELL OUT will greet the ZIPS and more importantly harass Buffalo all night as the Zips go for the regular season championship clinching. Anything less will be a huge let down. If you are a regular attender bring 2 friends with you! Let's go Zips!

The only time I remember Dambrot starting a senior who doesn't usually start is five years ago, I think Goddard started on senior night instead of Linhart, but if I'm not mistaken the rest of that starting 5 was already seniors. I don't think Brett McKnight or Mike Bardo started on senior night last year.

The only time I remember Dambrot starting a senior who doesn't usually start is five years ago, I think Goddard started on senior night instead of Linhart, but if I'm not mistaken the rest of that starting 5 was already seniors. I don't think Brett McKnight or Mike Bardo started on senior night last year.

You're correct on this one Yaz. Did some quick research on last year's Senior game against UB. Here's the box score: ESPN Box Score

What team are we going to see tonight? Are we going to see the lackluster, disinterested bunch that played in Athens or are we going to see the team that was 12-1 in the conference.

I worry because maybe it has simply taken this long to figure out the Zips this year and the ORU/OHIO games are actually models for how to beat the Zips? They didn't seem to be the same model as ORU let Akron shoot away from outside while OU just smothered them all over the court. After the two losses I have a real sinking feeling with this program. Could it be that KD has lost the team. There was a year where Hipsher was poised to win the MAC Tourney and at the end of the season he lost the team completely then I think we lost to Can't at home in the first round of the tourney. Was that the same year he pushed Andrick on the sidelines.

I'm very interested to see what happens tonight and I think it will give us an idea of how this team is going to play in the tourney. The guys need to right the ship tonight or this may go down as one of the most disappointing seasons ever.

What team are we going to see tonight? Are we going to see the lackluster, disinterested bunch that played in Athens or are we going to see the team that was 12-1 in the conference.

I worry because maybe it has simply taken this long to figure out the Zips this year and the ORU/OHIO games are actually models for how to beat the Zips? They didn't seem to be the same model as ORU let Akron shoot away from outside while OU just smothered them all over the court. After the two losses I have a real sinking feeling with this program. Could it be that KD has lost the team. There was a year where Hipsher was poised to win the MAC Tourney and at the end of the season he lost the team completely then I think we lost to Can't at home in the first round of the tourney. Was that the same year he pushed Andrick on the sidelines.

I'm very interested to see what happens tonight and I think it will give us an idea of how this team is going to play in the tourney. The guys need to right the ship tonight or this may go down as one of the most disappointing seasons ever.

We played two upper-mid major teams, who already had 22+ wins, on the road, and lost. I can't start chugging Drano and worrying that KD has "lost the team." What were those two opponent's home records...something like a combined 31-1 this season?

Hipsher lost his team with regularity. It was as much a part of spring as May Day and bock beer. Comparatively, here's been nothing remotely close to team chemistry problems under Dambrot. Chemistry is the least of my concerns.

The Zips big problem has been playing "me" ball and not "us" ball. When anyone but Abreu drives the lane, it's a shot. The dribble-penetration-and-pass has been forgotten. The Turnover has replaced it.

Likewise, Zeke needs to man-up. He's the difference between the Zips achieving new heights in 2011-12, or being just another nice MAC program. Zeke's had his lunch handed to him at ORU and OU. Buffalo is big enough to give him another lunch if he doesn't come ready to battle.

I think some home-cooking on Senior night is just what the Zips need.

Akron 75

Buffalo 71

The Zips are 10-0 ATS at home this season. Favored by 6.5 tonight. Ride the train! :champs:

Not so fast my friend, Lee Corso and myself are worried about this one. The Bulls are probably the only team in the MAC that can match up with us down low with quality bigs. We beat them at home regularly but needed hit a lot of FTs at 90% to do it last year. I think we win but it will be tough. When I look at the Bulls roster, I am surprised that they are not doing better than they are. They have legit talent.

Cap'n I'm glad you aren't worried.

I agree Hipsher lost the team regularly, but I felt like the first time it really happened was that year we lost to Can't in the tourney at home.

If you are suggesting the OU loss was a just a loss I am going to need some of what you are smoking. Akron was dominated by OU and beaten worse than I can remember. They were completely out of the game. It will be interesting o see if they can bounce back tonight. I can't imagine if they lose anyone will have confidence in a win at Can't.

I agree Hipsher lost the team regularly, but I felt like the first time it really happened was that year we lost to Can't in the tourney at home.

If you are suggesting the OU loss was a just a loss I am going to need some of what you are smoking. Akron was dominated by OU and beaten worse than I can remember. They were completely out of the game. It will be interesting o see if they can bounce back tonight. I can't imagine if they lose anyone will have confidence in a win at Can't.

Here is an interesting article on whats happened to the once great UCLA program. Special Report: Not the UCLA Way

Over the last two months SI spoke with more than a dozen players and staff members from the past four Bruins teams. They portrayed the program as having drifted from the UCLA way as Howland allowed an influx of talented but immature recruits to undermine team discipline and morale. Fistfights broke out among teammates. Several players routinely used alcohol and drugs, sometimes before practice. One player intentionally injured teammates but received no punishment.

Such problems are often symptomatic of underachieving teams, and UCLA provides a fascinating case study. The former players and staff members who spoke to SI offer a detailed inside account of how seemingly minor problems, if left unaddressed, can quickly sabotage even a storied program led by one of the nation's most respected coaches. The Bruins' struggles tell a cautionary tale of the risks of recruiting hyped players, the challenges of managing recalcitrant teenagers and the consequences of letting discipline and accountability break down. Most of all, the problems at UCLA underline the precariousness of college basketball success.

I don't think KD has lost the program, but this is what can happen when you start going after players based on just athletic ability.

1.) I will always share my weed with you. Say what you want about the Captain, he is a generous, sharing soul.

2.) Anyone who doesn't get a heightened level of concern after losing to OU by 20+ is an idiot. But a single blow out doesn't necessarily mean there's a trend. You only need to look back at last season's OU road loss to see such beatdowns can be quickly forgotten.

BG is playing great basketball, and we handled them with relative ease last week (while BG got within 3 late, they never really threatened). Buffalo should be similar...if we've learned from our recent mistakes.

One interesting point about Buffalo is that Javon McCrea is not having the killer season that everyone expected. He's having a solid season, but is by no means a dominant force. He's not likely to win MAC POTY.

In fact, his teammate, Mitchell Watt, is arguably Buffalo's highest performer. Watt is slightly better in more statistical categories than McCrea, and is not that far behind Zeke in blocked shots per game, where Zeke currently ranks 12th nationally and Watt 19th.

There's no question that McCrea and Watt together are an imposing frontcourt duo. Zeke, the Serb, Tree and other Zips frontcourt players will have a big challenge to keep those two under control. But in the loss at Buffalo, Zeke and the Serb performed as well or better than McCrea and Watt and the Zips still lost. So it will take a total team effort to beat Buffalo at the JAR.

McCrea vs. Watt vs. Zeke Season Stats

Akron vs. Buffalo 1/18/12 Box Score

One interesting point about Buffalo is that Javon McCrea is not having the killer season that everyone expected. He's having a solid season, but is by no means a dominant force. He's not likely to win MAC POTY.

In fact, his teammate, Mitchell Watt, is arguably Buffalo's highest performer. Watt is slightly better in more statistical categories than McCrea, and is not that far behind Zeke in blocked shots per game, where Zeke currently ranks 12th nationally and Watt 19th.

There's no question that McCrea and Watt together are an imposing frontcourt duo. Zeke, the Serb, Tree and other Zips frontcourt players will have a big challenge to keep those two under control. But in the loss at Buffalo, Zeke and the Serb performed as well or better than McCrae and Watt and the Zips still lost. So it will take a total team effort to beat Buffalo at the JAR.

McCrea vs. Watt vs. Zeke Season Stats

Akron vs. Buffalo 1/18/12 Box Score

Good points, Dave. You posted this just as I was getting the following ready.

I sure hope the Zips pressure U@B's guards, full court much of the time. Because I think this is where the Bulls are most vulnerable. McCrea is obviously a huge talent, but Watt provides similar shot blocking capability as Zeke with a more polished offensive game (even has decent form from 3 point distance). So obviously Zeke will have to play well. If he doesn't AND the Zips don't pressure the Bulls guards, I can easily see this one (and likely the regular season championship) slipping away.

I am wrong that Keith has tarted seniors on senior night although in this case I wonder if Keith would do it since Nitro has been a starter in the past and it may help his confidence. I did not know that Peterson was a senior. Is he a scholarship player or walkon?

This is a pressure game for the Zips since they can claim the first seed, they can erase the memory of their poor play at OU, and a win will give them momentum for the game at Can't only 2 days away. I think Alex is the key in that he controls the flow of the ball on offense. I did not think we handled the double team at OU real well and their seemed to be too much dribbling and not not enough movement of the ball. We only had single digit assist for the game. On defense we need to stop the penetration, especially at the guard position.

I hope we have a good crowd tonight. Go Zips!

See, I agree with Bob Keeshan here. (lol)

Hipsher's team in 97-98 I think you're thinking of, the year we won the MAC East with Schindewolf, Weinkein, the backcourt of Ball and Bosley who were dynamite from the foul line, and Andrick, they just lost the sense of urgency and lacked toughness when it mattered. But anyway, I agree, just because the Zips in the past few years and this year have lost tough battles to higher ranked mid-major teams, doesn't mean the program should be criticized. Sometimes when you recruit more talented players they play the role of the super athlete rather than the athlete who plays hard every game and takes on the leadership/team ball role. Sometimes having talent solves the problem of keeping you in the games but not necessarily helps win the important games.

That penetration and pass game worked so well when we had Nick Dials, Dru Joyce, Steve McNees, and Darryl Roberts. When you have guys who can move well without the basketball it helps too. Nate Linhart was a good example.

Dambrot will say the team has a problem playing together sometimes but I also think a lot has to do with who is on the floor at the same time. I'm telling you, the team plays better when Diggs, Walsh, and Abreu are on the floor at the same time. And Cvetinovic and Marshall on the floor at the same time is good as well. They play a two man game nicely, especially in the Toledo and Bowling Green games.

We played two upper-mid major teams, who already had 22+ wins, on the road, and lost. I can't start chugging Drano and worrying that KD has "lost the team." What were those two opponent's home records...something like a combined 31-1 this season?

Hipsher lost his team with regularity. It was as much a part of spring as May Day and bock beer. Comparatively, here's been nothing remotely close to team chemistry problems under Dambrot. Chemistry is the least of my concerns.

The Zips big problem has been playing "me" ball and not "us" ball. When anyone but Abreu drives the lane, it's a shot. The dribble-penetration-and-pass has been forgotten. The Turnover has replaced it.

Likewise, Zeke needs to man-up. He's the difference between the Zips achieving new heights in 2011-12, or being just another nice MAC program. Zeke's had his lunch handed to him at ORU and OU. Buffalo is big enough to give him another lunch if he doesn't come ready to battle.

I think some home-cooking on Senior night is just what the Zips need.

Akron 75

Buffalo 71

The senior night thing is huge. I don't want to see anything slip away but KD needs get the offense back to being organized like in the first 8 or so conference games where we showed good shot selection, didn't make careless passes, and controlled the tempo. I think the Zips need to do 3 things well tonight:

1. Push the more more often than not. Take Buffalo's bigs out of the game defensively, get them fatigued and in foul trouble. I think Dambrot knows that when Buffalo is playing well defensively, McCrea, and Watt react well to it.

2. Cvetinovic and Marshall need to be more aggressive on offense and have good point production. Our bench can't keep bailing out their slow starts.

3. Put pressure on Buffalo's guards. In the OU/ORU games, the Zips seemed to struggle defending around the perimeter.

And from Buffalo's message boards, they think we will most likely lose at Can't on their senior night, especially from how we played at OU. So they think if they win out (which means they sweep the Zips in the series) then they will get the #1 seed. It would be nice for us to get the #1 seed, play less games, and have OU, Buffalo, and Can't battle each other out. Can't may be slipping and OU may have been a tad bit inconsistent this year but we all know from the past 5 or 6 years both those teams play well on a neutral court.