Zips in the MLS, NASL, USLPro 2012 Season Thread

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CD Chivas USA! The Goats played their best football of 2012 for about 80 minutes in defeating the Impact 2-1 last Saturday night at HDC. And the Fox Prime Ticket Man of the Match was our own Ben Zemanski! Ben played the most aggressive game of his career, leading Chivas in shots, testing Donovan Ricketts ferociously in the first half and providing space for new star Juan Agudelo. The announcers mentioned in his previous game vs Houston (edit: Make that the home loss to Real Salt Lake) that Ben was coming off a knee sprain suffered in mid-April. Ben and Blair Gavin both started and played 90' in that one. Blair did not see action vs Montreal. Zarek Valentin played an honorable defensive game, though not seeing much of the football. It seemed that the Fox announcers, including Eric Wynalda were playing down the return of 'Z' to the HDC, though they did mention more than once the reunion of Zarek and Ben.

Sarkodie's complete disappearance is really a surprise to me. I wonder why.

he's was listed as injured for Fantasy soccer.

The question becomes if Cameron leaves, does Hainault stay outside or will Kofi Sarkodie finally get a chance (he's almost healthy). If Sarkodie is the long-term plan at right back it's time for him to get playing time, which leaves you with a plethora of central defenders.

http://www.dynamotheory.com/2012/6/30/3129...houston-the-win

Soccer America did this article on Perry Kitchen last week. It was also published on GoZips.com. I thought it was pretty cool how he said Porter has been his best coach to date, which is especially meaningful considering he is currently being coached by Ben Olsen who is great and he has probably been coached by some other good coaches as well. The only weird thing about this piece was that he says his favorite movie is 'Man on Fire.' While there is no arguing the undisputed fact that Denzel Washington is the best actor ever, I'd say he definitely has some better movies, my favorite being American Gangster. Also you can't forget Remember the Titans.

I think Perry Kitchen will go down as one of the best players to pass through the Akron Soccer program. It shows how great he is that he has helped DC go from being bottom of the table last year to first in the East this year. I think it's only a matter of time before he winds up in Europe, and I also think that if he doesn't make it there soon, it would not be out of the question that within a few years, he could end up captaining DC, which I think would be really cool.

Soccer America did this article on Perry Kitchen last week. It was also published on GoZips.com. I thought it was pretty cool how he said Porter has been his best coach to date, which is especially meaningful considering he is currently being coached by Ben Olsen who is great and he has probably been coached by some other good coaches as well. The only weird thing about this piece was that he says his favorite movie is 'Man on Fire.' While there is no arguing the undisputed fact that Denzel Washington is the best actor ever, I'd say he definitely has some better movies, my favorite being American Gangster. Also you can't forget Remember the Titans. I think Perry Kitchen will go down as one of the best players to pass through the Akron Soccer program. It shows how great he is that he has helped DC go from being bottom of the table last year to first in the East this year. I think it's only a matter of time before he winds up in Europe, and I also think that if he doesn't make it there soon, it would not be out of the question that within a few years, he could end up captaining DC, which I think would be really cool.

Training Day

Steve Zakuani back on the pitch...came into game in last 5 minutes of Seattle-Colorado match last night :) :)

Awesome. I believe Aodhan Quinn and his parents (visiting from San Diego) were attending their first ever Sounders game at CenturyLink last night. Nice that that worked out for them.

Zarek Valentin scored in the 78th minute vs the Crew to even the score at 1-1. Montreal went on to win 2-1 on a pk awarded for a foul in the box.

Edit:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/matchday-...uly-8-mtl-v-clb

Edit 2:

Zarek Valentin scored in the 78th minute vs the Crew to even the score at 1-1. Montreal went on to win 2-1 on a pk awarded for a foul in the box.

Edit:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/matchday-...uly-8-mtl-v-clb

Nice! The Impact have been in a rough stretch. It's great to see Zarek's 1st ever MLS goal come at a crucial time like this. Congrats, Zarek!

Nice! The Impact have been in a rough stretch. It's great to see Zarek's 1st ever MLS goal come at a crucial time like this. Congrats, Zarek!

That goal was very significant for Zarek. Unless I missed something when perusing back through the stats today at lunch, the only goal Zarek scored for the Zips was his PK vs UNC in the 2009 College Cup semi-final (just as I thought when I saw him score yesterday).

Steve Zakuani back on the pitch...came into game in last 5 minutes of Seattle-Colorado match last night :) :)

I hadn't seen this quote before from Eddie Johnson:

Zakuani logged four minutes as a reserve Saturday in the Seattle Sounders FC’s 2-1 win over the visiting Colorado Rapids. The crowd of 39,060 at CenturyLink Field gave Zakuani a hearty ovation.

“That’s the loudest I’ve ever heard a stadium,” Sounders forward Eddie Johnson said. “I’ve been playing 11 years of soccer and that’s the loudest.”

But, I know Sounders fans love Steve. Thousands showed up at a match between the Sounders Reserves and Whitecaps Reserves on June 1st mainly to see Steve back in action. Every time he touched the ball, the crowd went crazy with applause and cheers. Great fans. I still hope to experience a match at CenturyLink sometime in the near future.

Mattocks scored 2 goals tonight bringing his MLS total to 6. He's tied at #11 for most goals scored this year. Here are some highlights.

Too bad Vancouver gave up the game-winning goal to Toronto on a corner kick in the 4th (final) minute of stoppage time to lose 3-2 after Darren had tied the match in the 90th minute.

Last year CJ Sapong scored five goals and five assists in 34 matches and went on to win rookie of the year. Mattocks has already surpassed him in goals scored and will likely score more. Rookie of the year could end up being his award to lose.