Zips in the MLS, NASL, USLPro 2012 Season Thread

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wenger has been out with an injury. Nick DeLeon is probably the nearest competitor for it.

DeLeon was on fire at the beginning of the season but has slowed down a bit. Ryan Meara is another possibility, he is NY's keeper and although he hasn't really done anything too remarkable in my opinion, his case for rookie of the year is based on being a rookie keeper and NY being towards the top of the table despite a rotating cast of defenders. To me, he has been consistent, but not great. I would much rather see Mattocks get it, and if he continues the way he's been playing, it's definitely a possibility.

With 6 goals, Darren Mattocks is 2 away from tying the MLS record for most goals scored by a rookie, currently held by fellow Jamaican footballer Damani Ralph.

Sweet! And Vancouver still has 15 MLS regular season games remaining.

With 6 goals, Darren Mattocks is 2 away from tying the MLS record for most goals scored by a rookie, currently held by fellow Jamaican footballer Damani Ralph.

Damani Ralph scored 11 as a rookie, so Darren needs 5 to tie and 6 to break the record. It is still something very capable of Darren doing considering he scored 6 goals in his first 9 games.

Damani Ralph scored 11 as a rookie, so Darren needs 5 to tie and 6 to break the record. It is still something very capable of Darren doing considering he scored 6 goals in his first 9 games.

Thanks for correction, I must have been looking at wrong data somewhere, thought I saw 8 somewhere

Chivas USA defeats Portland Timbers in a matinee game at HDC today by 1-0 on a first half goal. Fox West Corona Extra Man of the Match: Ben Zemanski! (Second time in last three games). Zemanski is rapidly becoming the Goats offensive sparkplug. Had a couple scoring chances -- you have to think the one that he puts away is just around the corner. Darlington Nagbe started and played until around minute 75 for Timbers. Nagbe had one header opportunity that was held onto by keeper Dan Kennedy. He saw the ball very rarely before taking a seat.

What time is it in Los Angeles? It's Superclassico time! And for the "visitors", Chivas USA, the central midfield consists of former Akron Zips #18 Blair Gavin and #21 Ben Zemanski.

Unfortunately, Blair gave away a ball in his defensive third, and then Ante Jazic gave Robbie Keane more room than he could have dreampt of, as the Galaxy have taken a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute. Ben looks good! Looking for him to break the scoring ice tonight.

Wow! As I type Gavin provides another ball to L.A., and Keane puts the ball in the net again -- but the OFFSIDE flag is raised. Thank you!

What time is it in Los Angeles? It's Superclassico time! And for the "visitors", Chivas USA, the central midfield consists of former Akron Zips #18 Blair Gavin and #21 Ben Zemanski.

Unfortunately, Blair gave away a ball in his defensive third, and then Ante Jazic gave Robbie Keane more room than he could have dreampt of, as the Galaxy have taken a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute. Ben looks good! Looking for him to break the scoring ice tonight.

Wow! As I type Gavin provides another ball to L.A., and Keane puts the ball in the net again -- but the OFFSIDE flag is raised. Thank you!

Blair Gavin is subbed at start of second half. Not a good night tonight, but hopefully he gets another shot soon. Also, Ben Zemanski received an undeserved yellow card late in the half, so is on minute-to-minute probation. Ben had CDCUSA's only shot on goal in the first half.

And Landon Donovan puts the Galaxy up 2-0 very early in the second half with a breakaway goal -- looks like a failed offside trap by Chivas. Did I tellyou I HATE LAG?

Final Score: Galaxy 3 Chivas 1. Blair Gavin's substitute in MF, Paolo Cardozo scored for the Goats in the second half to make it 2-1, before Donovan scored his second for the final. Ben Zemanski was one of the few lights for Chivas again.

I was at the Crew game yesterday and was impressed with Korb's efforts. He came very close to tying the game but his shot hit the upper cross bar.

Nice. Wish I could have been there, but I was flying home from a mini vacation. I watched much of the 2nd half on FSN Ohio. It was probably the best attempt DCU had the entire time I was watching. It hit high off the left post (not quite up to the crossbar) as Chris tried to get it just inside the post.

By the way, when I went back to the beginning of my recording, I saw that Crew on field broadcaster, Ashleigh Ignelzi, profiled Chris Korb (replacing Robbie Russell) just before the start of the match: "An Ohio native, former Akron Zip ... can get forward ... has some memories of going up against Justin Meram [Michigan] in college ... " It's always great to hear Akron/Akron Zips, Caleb Porter, etc. when watching MLS matches featuring former Zips.

Yesterday, however, was not a good day for MLS teams featuring former Zips. DC lost, Portland lost. Chivas lost. Montreal lost/Houston won (but no Kofi). SKC tied.

Nice. Wish I could have been there, but I was flying home from a mini vacation. I watched much of the 2nd half on FSN Ohio. It was probably the best attempt DCU had the entire time I was watching. It hit high off the left post (not quite up to the crossbar) as Chris tried to get it just inside the post.

By the way, when I went back to the beginning of my recording, I saw that Crew on field broadcaster, Ashleigh Ignelzi, profiled Chris Korb (replacing Robbie Russell) just before the start of the match: "An Ohio native, former Akron Zip ... can get forward ... has some memories of going up against Justin Meram [Michigan] in college ... " It's always great to hear Akron/Akron Zips, Caleb Porter, etc. when watching MLS matches featuring former Zips.

Yesterday, however, was not a good day for MLS teams featuring former Zips. DC lost, Portland lost. Chivas lost. Montreal lost/Houston won (but no Kofi). SKC tied.

It's rare that a commentator doesn't mention Akron when a former Zip is on the field.