Zips in the MLS, NASL, USLPro 2012 Season Thread

Can those of you who are Major MLS fans give us a review of this season's national television coverage? I have been able to watch only one game this season (Philly Union v DC United on the NBCS Net) and was forced to overcome the play-by-play accent of another limey in American soccer. I have nothing specific against the English or British islanders, I just wish US television execs didn't have the belief that so many British accents made the game more "authentic". So, don't ask me about the PA announcer in Seattle! :rolleyes: Is it true that MLS is no longer broadcast on FSN? If so, that's a real tragedy.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can those of you who are Major MLS fans give us a review of this season's national television coverage? I have been able to watch only one game this season (Philly Union v DC United on the NBCS Net) and was forced to overcome the play-by-play accent of another limey in American soccer. I have nothing specific against the English or British islanders, I just wish US television execs didn't have the belief that so many British accents made the game more "authentic". So, don't ask me about the PA announcer in Seattle! :rolleyes: Is it true that MLS is no longer broadcast on FSN? If so, that's a real tragedy.

Fox broadcasted an EPL game on the main national channel during the MLS Cup. It's odd because it's extremely rare for them to broadcast a soccer game on their national channel. I assume the reason Fox did this is because they weren't happy the MLS Cup was being broadcasted on ESPN.

The MLS made the right move with NBC. Fox treated the MLS like a 2nd rate league, NBC treats the MLS with a lot more respect and do a better job covering the games than anyone else.

It seems each team have their own announcers and I think only 3 or 4 teams have an announcer with a UK accent. I have Matchday Live and I love it. It's only $50 and well worth it. There's a thread on Zipsnation with a coupon code in it. I also posted a few things in this thread about the MLS's progress this year

the Nanchoff party

Thanks Bobbyake. That's awesome. I love that they interviewed Michael's mom, Marian. Brings back memories of sitting with her and George at the National Championship game at UCSB. Great people. I hope she and George show up at Akron again this Fall. (I saw them at at least one match last Fall.)

I also noticed Matt Dagilis in the background at 2:56 - 2:58 in that video.

Hilarious! "We've got soccer tennis and cornhole". Wow! Just like Wake island. :D

it looked like regular cornhole but it got me thinking about a way you could play soccer cornhole. If you take a small trampoline and put a hole in the middle, you could play something similar to cornhole?

41K32T04S3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nano started against FC Edmonton in the second leg of the semi final of the Canadian Championship. He was subbed off for Sebastian LeToux in the 70th minute who scored two goals. Mattocks came on for Eric Hassli in the 74th minute and also scored a goal. Whitecaps advance to the final to play TFC.

So it's MLS supporters week and MLSsoccer.com is doing a special on players and editors' favorite players of all time. I think they are adding them as the week progresses. So far the players that have been recognized are Carlos Valderrama, Brian McBride, and a less conventional pick by Matt Doyle of Sinisa Ubiparapovic. Glad to see the guy get some recognition.

Great news for Perry Kitchen who had to be subbed out of the DC United v Dynamo game in the first half in Houston this past weekend.

In unexpected but totally welcomed news, D.C. United announced on Twitter today that the results of the MRI on Perry Kitchen's knee came back negative. All of his CL's are just fine, and there is no major damage. He'll be listed as Questionable on the team's injury report.