Janoris Jenkins

Dr Z

Janoris probably deserves his own thread. ZN started talking about him here in another thread.

Complete article found here

During his three seasons at Division II North Alabama, new University of Akron coach Terry Bowden worked his contacts in the upper echelon of college football to bring in one or two transfers every year.

But when cornerback Janoris Jenkins was kicked off the team at the University of Florida, Bowden wasn't exactly waiting with open arms.

One of the most talented but polarizing prospects in the April 26-28 NFL Draft, Jenkins had been arrested three times. He was Tasered during a June 2009 street fight outside a bar, then caught smoking marijuana twice in a period of three months in 2011. New Florida coach Will Muschamp made an example of Jenkins and booted him even though he had been the second Gator to start at cornerback as a freshman, following the Browns' Joe Haden.

Bowden said he didn't find out until last week that Jenkins also has four children ranging in age from 3 years to 3 months, reportedly by three different women. But Bowden knew enough to realize Jenkins was an NFL first-round talent with very few options.

---------------------------------------------------------

Bowden, who does exhaustive background checks on all players accepted to his D-II school, didn't find out until Jenkins told the world during a Combine interview last week. "He has a girlfriend; I’ve had to call him at her house plenty of times," Bowden said. "He never told me any of that stuff." This is the one red flag on Jenkins' off-field history that may scare off the most NFL teams. The fact that Jenkins kept it from Bowden begs the question of whether he's given NFL officials full disclosure during pre-draft interviews.

Source: Rotoworld

JanorisJenkins.jpg

Interesting story. Goes to show that sometimes it is worth the risk with some players. It's all about being smart about who you take. The greater the payoff, the bigger risk you take. If you take a huge risk on a guy, you should limit further risk because the amount of babysitting could get too great.

I might have passed on this kid if I was TB. Getting the girls pregnant doesn't bother me. The amount and variety of criminal activity would have caused me to say no.

For Ridenour to spin this as a 'second chance' for this guy is a bit amusing. It appears he has had one more second chance a few times. Yep,he is probably an off the charts physical specimen. And,if he gets on the field he will be a beyond MAC talent player. I hope he takes advantage of the multiple opportunities he has been given due to his physical talent.

If TB can keep him under control good for everyone. The guy does his time in Akron then goes to the pros.

I also hope that if Jenkins continues his bad behavior TB doesn't let him contaminate the rest of the team.

When JD was here he admitted making that mistake with a few guys. I think David Harvey comes to mind.

Anyway, I would love to watch a player with the talent Jenkins has playing at the Info.

For Ridenour to spin this as a 'second chance' for this guy is a bit amusing. It appears he has had one more second chance a few times.
Florida, chance 1, Northern Alabama, chance 2. I don't the "spin?"

If TB can keep him under control good for everyone. The guy does his time in Akron then goes to the pros.

I also hope that if Jenkins continues his bad behavior TB doesn't let him contaminate the rest of the team.

He will be on an NFL team in a month, how would that effect the Zips football team in any way?

When JD was here he admitted making that mistake with a few guys. I think David Harvey comes to mind.

Anyway, I would love to watch a player with the talent Jenkins has playing at the Info.

He'll be an Oakland Raider in about 4 weeks, not a Zip.

If TB can keep him under control...

I always cringe where I hear people use that choice of words.

No one can be controlled.

Coaches do not have the sort of oppressive power to control a player even if he wanted to. All he can do is hold the threat of punishment over them.

In stead, isn't it important to intervene into the young man's social issues by creating a circle of positive support and offering helpful resources, counseling, and social (re)education?

When you put someone under your thumb, they are just going to resent you and rebel against you at some point.

Coaches do not have the sort of oppressive power to control a player even if he wanted to. All he can do is hold the threat of punishment over them.

In stead, isn't it important to intervene into the young man's social issues by creating a circle of positive support and offering helpful resources, counseling, and social (re)education?

When you put someone under your thumb, they are just going to resent you and rebel against you at some point.

Well, do ya think that this young man has had that offered to him previously? My suspicion is that he has. And yes one can offer,'re-education'(thats a loaded word if I ever heard one. Sounds like Manchurian Candidate) etc etc. I hope the guy keeps it together long enough to 'graduate',stay out of jail again and not harm any more innocent people.

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN.com's Headline Story

The barrel-bodied coach with the syrupy drawl wasn't mincing words with Janoris Jenkins last spring. Terry Bowden had already spent the previous two years at North Alabama, a Division II school located in Florence, so he understood some players might not embrace a small program with limited resources.As Bowden scanned Jenkins' body language that day in his office, the coach also sensed Jenkins trying to find his own comfort level. The kid had no choice. This was his last hope of resurrecting the reputation he had nearly firebombed while at the University of Florida.Because Bowden had made his name while coaching Auburn from 1993 to '98, he knew Jenkins would have an immediate impact at a lower level. The bigger issue was whether Jenkins could deal with his new surroundings after being dismissed from Florida following three seasons as a star cornerback."I told him that we'd be playing in front of 500 people some days," Bowden said. "We'd be taking buses to games and not jets. And I also didn't want to see him wearing any orange and blue. He wasn't a Gator anymore. He was a North Alabama Lion."

Found this Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Charley Casserly said on Path to the Draft Wednesday that North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins is "50-50" to be drafted in the first round.

Casserly noted that Jenkins has three documented arrests, and "I'm not sure I remember a first-round pick with that in his history." Our best guess is that the vast majority of teams will remove Jenkins from their first-round draft boards, but he'll be selected in the early to middle part of the second. Casserly did call Jenkins the best pure man corner in this year's draft.

After listening to Casserly for years, it amazes me that he was a GM. I listen to Kirwan often, and I would give him the keys to my franchise in a heartbeat, I wouldn't trust Charley to change my oil in my car. I'm not saying he is right or wrong on Jenkins though.

Found this Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Charley Casserly said on Path to the Draft Wednesday that North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins is "50-50" to be drafted in the first round.

Casserly noted that Jenkins has three documented arrests, and "I'm not sure I remember a first-round pick with that in his history." Our best guess is that the vast majority of teams will remove Jenkins from their first-round draft boards, but he'll be selected in the early to middle part of the second. Casserly did call Jenkins the best pure man corner in this year's draft.

After listening to Casserly for years, it amazes me that he was a GM. I listen to Kirwan often, and I would give him the keys to my franchise in a heartbeat, I wouldn't trust Charley to change my oil in my car. I'm not saying he is right or wrong on Jenkins though.

Sounds like a Cincinnati Bengal to me!!!

Sounds like a Cincinnati Bengal to me!!!

I wish people would take the time to actually learn what those arrests were for... Dre Kirkpatrick was arrested for marijuana possession less than a week after winning the National Championship - under almost identical circumstances that Janoris was arrested under - but he obviously (his agent) got a very good attorney, and the charges were dropped. No one even talks about it anymore -- and it just happened a few months ago.

Janoris' first arrest was at a club in Gainesville - for standing up for a buddy/teammate of his. Yes, he threw a punch. Yes he got arrested. I believe he went through a pre-trial first offender type program - and it was removed (or something to that effect) from his record.

Janoris had shoulder surgery, and was not able to be working out with the team, etc.... some buddies from Pahokee went up to Gainesville to "hang out" with him.. and yes, they were arrested for marijuana possession. If he hadn't been injured - and had been with his teammates in the structured environment, it probably wouldn't have happened.

Janoris was originally going to declare for the 2011 draft as a Junior. Will Muschamp was hired - and for whatever reason, Janoris decided to stay.

And then the 3rd arrest - as I said above - was almost exactly the same as Kirkpatrick's situation. He was a passenger in a teammate's car with 3 or so guys in it. They were pulled over, and a small bag of marijuana was found in the car. They were all arrested. Since Janoris had issues prior - it was April I believe - he and his family decided it was best to just pay the fine and move on. He could have stayed and fought it - but they were concerned that if the situation took too long to resolve, it would have been too late to play in 2011. The guy who owned/was driving the car eventually had the charges dropped against him.

Yes - he was arrested three times. But when you look at the circumstances, you realize that they were all situations where a young man made a few stupid decisions. How many of us haven't made decisions when we were younger that we wish we hadn't? I'm not condoning his actions - but there are much worse things players have done, and gone on to be productive members of society. By all accounts - including our head coach - he is a good kid, who has learned his lesson.

His talent is not a question. And the off the field issues never affected his on the field performance. I hope he gets his shot in the first round -- I think where he belongs. Would LOVE to see him in Cincy!

Figures of speech both 'control' and 'under your thumb'. How about helping provide structure and a positive influence in this man's life?

Janoris Jenkins - The most-discussed non-Zip football player on ZN.o since Dwight Lowery.

Technically, Ryan Bain might also be a candidate.

Dwight Lowery isn't a Zip? :lol::lol::lol:

Bain felt pain mainly in his brain and got in only one play, but his legend will always remain.

I wonder if any NFL execs have contacted coach Bowden for an opinion?

NFL.com story yesterday by Albert Breer

Executives agreed that he is talented and has been honest about his issues, though it continues to trouble them that the drug use, by Jenkins' own admission, wasn't curtailed after he was thrown off Florida's team by coach Will Muschamp.

The Florida program had problems with players testing positive in recent years, with Minnesota Vikings receiver Percy Harvin and New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez being prominent examples of ex-Gators plummeting on draft day as a result. It's the combination of issues, however, that puts Jenkins in a more serious category, possibly taking a player with top-half-of-the-first-round talent out of the first night of the draft altogether.

"He's running with the wrong people," an NFC personnel executive said. "They gave him every chance in the world at Florida, and it didn't work. … And he gets to North Alabama, and he's still smoking because he's got this big-fish, little-pond thing going. I don't see him going in the first round, and a lot of teams have him off their board completely."

I wonder if any NFL execs have contacted coach Bowden for an opinion?

NFL.com story yesterday by Albert Breer

Executives agreed that he is talented and has been honest about his issues, though it continues to trouble them that the drug use, by Jenkins' own admission, wasn't curtailed after he was thrown off Florida's team by coach Will Muschamp.

The Florida program had problems with players testing positive in recent years, with Minnesota Vikings receiver Percy Harvin and New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez being prominent examples of ex-Gators plummeting on draft day as a result. It's the combination of issues, however, that puts Jenkins in a more serious category, possibly taking a player with top-half-of-the-first-round talent out of the first night of the draft altogether.

"He's running with the wrong people," an NFC personnel executive said. "They gave him every chance in the world at Florida, and it didn't work. … And he gets to North Alabama, and he's still smoking because he's got this big-fish, little-pond thing going. I don't see him going in the first round, and a lot of teams have him off their board completely."

So he really needs to take advantage of this umpteenth chance if he really wants to have a shot at the NFL.

Ummm...