COY to EMU?? R u kidding me!!!!

honestly !! if eastern played in the east the would have been in last place.the reason the coach recieved the coy

was because they played in the mac west.any team in the east even miami would have won the west.

i never liked the divsions set up we have.coy from eastern got a gift card from (Icoach)in the mac west.

p.s. not to be confused with the new (I PHONE).

So the great COY couldn't beat the worst team in the MAC when it counted?

This is yet another reason for the Zips to ditch the MAC. In another conference, a different group of journalists would be voting for COY. It's possible that another group of journalists might have a pulse.

We won the regular season for the 1st time ever and went to the MAC Tournament final 5 times under him. Can't State gave it to Jim Christian twice even when in those years other coaches were deserving. Dambrot can't even buy one. I bet the only reason why Murphy won it was because of how EMU finished the season in comparison with their pre-season predictions, which was to finish last in the MAC West and 11th overall. I mean like is this their way of saying, "Oh EMU won the MAC West (even though an ugly overall/under.500 record) when they were predicted to finish last, Cinderella story under new coach, blah blah blah!"

The Zips would make sense in the Atlantic 10, Horizon, or Ohio Valley, except that they are in the midwest and they developed several rivals within the conference right now. If they were in the Atlantic 10, who would their rival be? Dayton? Duquesne? In the Horizon, the rivals would be bunched up and the recruitment in the area would be intertwined with CSU, Youngstown St., Wright St., and Detroit. The OVC is a low-major so that would be a step down. Just some thoughts I guess.

We won the regular season for the 1st time ever and went to the MAC Tournament final 5 times under him. Can't State gave it to Jim Christian twice even when in those years other coaches were deserving. Dambrot can't even buy one. I bet the only reason why Murphy won it was because of how EMU finished the season in comparison with their pre-season predictions, which was to finish last in the MAC West and 11th overall. I mean like is this their way of saying, "Oh EMU won the MAC West (even though an ugly overall/under.500 record) when they were predicted to finish last, Cinderella story under new coach, blah blah blah!"

The Zips would make sense in the Atlantic 10, Horizon, or Ohio Valley, except that they are in the midwest and they developed several rivals within the conference right now. If they were in the Atlantic 10, who would their rival be? Dayton? Duquesne? In the Horizon, the rivals would be bunched up and the recruitment in the area would be intertwined with CSU, Youngstown St., Wright St., and Detroit. The OVC is a low-major so that would be a step down. Just some thoughts I guess.

You appear to be the only poster who realizes why the EMU coach won the award. :bow:

One thing for sure: we would have the best football team in either the Atlantic 10 or the Horizon League.

Maybe with our performances the last 6 years the MAC is trying to send us a message. There certainly have to be some folks upset that we go to the championship game year after year after year.

Maybe our performance over the last 8 years is why the performance the team had was living up to expectations.

Should Dambrot have been COY, sure because Murphy really didn't accomplish anything when a person familiar with the MAC looks at things. However, most of the Media isn't familiar with the MAC (even if the MAC is their beat) and the story of predicted worst and finishing first is going to play better with those people then Akron's story of being predicted to continue to be a strong team and maybe win it.

Maybe our performance over the last 8 years is why the performance the team had was living up to expectations.

Should Dambrot have been COY, sure because Murphy really didn't accomplish anything when a person familiar with the MAC looks at things. However, most of the Media isn't familiar with the MAC (even if the MAC is their beat) and the story of predicted worst and finishing first is going to play better with those people then Akron's story of being predicted to continue to be a strong team and maybe win it.

Voters in this type of process tend to follow one of three methodologies.

1. Vote for the coach of the best team.

2. Vote for the coach of the most improved team.

3. Vote for the coach of the team that exceeded the voter's expectations the most.

Number 3 appears to be the methodology that most of the voters followed this year. For those who appreciate irony, these voters likely based their award not on how good of a coach the winner was, but on how badly the voter's preseason perceptions differed from reality.

I just had another thought.

If they voted for the EMU coach because of "improvement", isn't that a good argument for Keith as well?

In 2011, we had the #6 team in the MAC in the regular season.

In 2012, we have the #1 team in the MAC in the regular season.

That could easily be an argument for "dramatic improvement"