Ohio vs Akron

Dr Z

Who wins  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Geez. How do you put the #1 Seed as a 1.5 point underdog, playing an hour from home. Is the loss AT OU really impacting the prognosticators this much?

I'm going to predict this game based on fatigue. OU will be playing their 3rd game in a 48 hour period, including playing the late game last night. Tired legs make it difficult to hit 30-foot 3-pointers, and they are going to need those shots to fall in order to beat us.

Akron 75

OU 68

:wave: :wave: Hey I got the reply right this time :D

Oh I have no doubt Zips will win. OU has to be tired. Just challenge Coop! Get in his FACE

They don't have much of an inside game.

Every time I watch this team I see improvement. I expect next season to be awesome and even make a run for the NCAA big time.

They seem to be playing together more and watching more where each other is on the floor.

Taking care of the ball will be a big thing tonight.

GO ZIPS BEAT OU :champs:

I take the Zips by 5, 70-65. I looked at the Ohio Box score against Buffalo and they had 2 players playing 36 minutes and 2 players playing 30 minutes. In the Toledo game they had Baltic and Kellogg playing over 30 minutes. Cooper did not have a good 2nd half as his shots were not falling and he scored only 3 points the 2nd half. Buffalo was clearly the better team the 2nd half. Their game did not end till midnight. The Zips should have fresher legs as only 2 zips, the Serb and Alex played over 30 minutes.

For those complaining about the format, the format gives the Zips an advantage, one less game and the earlier semifinal. If the Zips play as well as they did against Can't, we should be dancing. Go Zips!

Anyone who is thinking that fatigue is going to be a factor tonight is out of their minds. How soon we forget that the past 3 tournament championship have gone to a team that didn't even get a bye (including twice for us). 3 games in 3 nights for a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds is nothing. OU won't be fatigued, and they will be ready to play.

This one all comes down to the perimeter quickness and 3 point shooting for OU vs. the interior play and depth for the Zips. I really like the Zips in this one. I just hate teams that rely so heavily on deep, deep 3's. 3 point shooting comes and goes. Points in the paint, rebounding, defensive effort. Those are the things you can rely on, and I think the Zips have the edge in most of those categories. I think this one will look a lot like the first matchup did. The Zips will force things through the post with Nik, Zeke and Tree early and pull away late as foul trouble mounts for the Bobcats.

Zips 75

OU 67

Hour from home... HA.

How much you wanna bet it is OHIO with the home court advantage? Bobcatnation travels better than the rest of the MAC combined.

We're you at the title game in Cleveland 2 years ago? Are you delusional or just very forgetful ? And were you paying any attention last night?

I noticed your group of approx. 200 people last night on the other side of the court. Nice showing :thumb: Buffalo was just as loud as you guys, and they came down all the way from Canada.

Akron sold out 5 sections last night, just from people who went through our own ticket office for their tickets.

Hour from home... HA.

How much you wanna bet it is OHIO with the home court advantage? Bobcatnation travels better than the rest of the MAC combined.

That's why there were about 200 of them last night...Ohio fans (as well as the rest of the MAC, including Akron) haven't been showing up much at all this week.

Anyone who is thinking that fatigue is going to be a factor tonight is out of their minds. How soon we forget that the past 3 tournament championship have gone to a team that didn't even get a bye (including twice for us). 3 games in 3 nights for a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds is nothing. OU won't be fatigued, and they will be ready to play.

This one all comes down to the perimeter quickness and 3 point shooting for OU vs. the interior play and depth for the Zips. I really like the Zips in this one. I just hate teams that rely so heavily on deep, deep 3's. 3 point shooting comes and goes. Points in the paint, rebounding, defensive effort. Those are the things you can rely on, and I think the Zips have the edge in most of those categories. I think this one will look a lot like the first matchup did. The Zips will force things through the post with Nik, Zeke and Tree early and pull away late as foul trouble mounts for the Bobcats.

Zips 75

OU 67

Thought about that. We've never been as reliant on the 3 ball, or played our starters as many minutes as OU.

That's why there were about 200 of them last night...Ohio fans (as well as the rest of the MAC, including Akron) haven't been showing up much at all this week.

Really? Has Akron ever sold out their allotment of tix before last night? I thought we had a great showing, at least compared to Can't.

I like the Zips tonight. OU had a great first half shooting last night and was subpar the second half. Tired legs hurt shooting. OU may be a tired team and they live and die with the three point shot.

Zips 70

OU 63

The score will look closer than the actual game as the Zips control throughout.

Geez. How do you put the #1 Seed as a 1.5 point underdog, playing an hour from home. Is the loss AT OU really impacting the prognosticators this much?

I'm going to predict this game based on fatigue. OU will be playing their 3rd game in a 48 hour period, including playing the late game last night. Tired legs make it difficult to hit 30-foot 3-pointers, and they are going to need those shots to fall in order to beat us.

Akron 75

OU 68

Well said.

It also seems to me that Tree and Harney are extra motivated to play in Cleveland.

I'll go Zips 79 Bobcats 72

I'd feel a lot more confident going into this game if only the Zips could have the MAC Coach of the Year on their bench. :rolleyes:

But I guess we'll have to limp along with the coach who's guided the Zips into their 6th straight MAC tournament championship game.

OU does two things really well where the Zips have weaknesses: The Bobkitties cover the passing lanes and anticipate passes better than any team in the MAC, and they're better at poking the ball out of players' hands than any other MAC team. The Zips are often guilty of lazy and telegraphed passes and not holding on to the ball too well (with the exception of iron grip Tree).

Zips need to focus on intelligent passing and hanging on to the ball without getting it poked away a lot. They also need to pound it inside and get OU's bigs into foul trouble

Everyone is dazzled by OU's guards and their streaky 3-point shooting. In the second half against Buffalo, OU forwards Keely, Baltic and Hall scored 25 of OU's 31 points. For the game, OU's forwards outscored OU's guards, 41-36.

Zips need to use their superior frontcourt to shut down OU's frontcourt, and put enough pressure on OU's guards to keep them from getting too many open looks.

I'd like to revise my prediction based upon the fact that three of us (JZ84, skip-zip and The Great GP1) think OU will have tired legs. I'm going to take the average of those three brilliant predictions (numbers rounded down) and say:

Zips 74

OU 67

Really? Has Akron ever sold out their allotment of tix before last night? I thought we had a great showing, at least compared to Can't.

No, the sell-out is the first time that has happened. Looking forward to a pro-Akron crowd tonight and expect our Zips to feed off of that. Go Zips - beat the Bobkitties!

:D I have to tell you I have to take suckers to the game so I keep my mouth shut. My son insists on it :P So I just got them for tonight's game. I feel so confident that I bought an instant lottery ticket and I have never done that. Feel the luck and skill is with us tonight.

:)