Money, Donations and Basketball

Interesting that they are asking fans to for over some big additional bucks, even as the team flounders.

Reminds me of Wistercill asking me for $5,000 to park in Lot 9 a couple years ago.

Wasn't Wistercill Associate AD at Minnesota? Hmmmm....now it's all starting to make sense....

Gopher a few extra bucks...

Doesn't Akron have required "donations" (seat licenses) for premium seats? Ohio does.

Akron does. But only for the lower area.

I just find it interesting that Minnesota, in the midst of a really bad stretch, is jacking up the ticket prices so substantially. If the Zips added $400 per ticket for me, I'd be in GA's in a heartbeat. And like the Minnesota fans quoted in the column, I love my team and have been a season ticket holder for well over 10 years. But everyone has a breaking point.

When the bandwagon's rolling...when you get a new arena...you can somewhat stomach ticket cost increases. But when things are bad, like 3 years ago when Wistercil tried to soak the handful of Lot 9'ers...the diehards of all diehards... for $5k each for a parking space (an increase from $50 the previous year), it just comes off as stupid.

I will be interested to see how this plays out in Minnesota. 8,000 seat licenses at $250 each (average) would be $2,000,000. On paper that's great. And if it works, some budding young AD will be able to boast on his resume of raising basketball revenues by $2 million, and get a sweet gig at some mid-major program where such a practice doesn't remotely apply.

In reality, it may end up doing nothing more than pissing off a lot of really good Minnesota fans who are already paying top dollar to watch losing basketball.