Murray State

skip-zip

My heart goes out to Murray State. And I think they deserve some discussion, for a number of reasons.

1) They are in our old conference, which is a very weak conference, but they have made a very big name for themselves.

2) They do not have the benefit of 1-A football.

3) How does the #12 team in the country get a 6th Seed ?? The selection committee is truly biased. I thought it was a total ripoff.

4) With a better seed, they would have NEVER had to face a team of the caliber of Marquette in the 2nd round.

I've read so many articles about the NCAA tournament selection committee that I think I'm going blind!

Short answer to your questions about Murray State is that the selection committee considers every rating system available.

Sports writers may have voted Murray 12th in the country, but their RPI was in the 20s, and the more sophisticated ranking systems (like Pomeroy) had them in the 40s.

When all those numbers are considered, a #6 seed is about right. It means that the NCAA selection committee rated Murray in the range of 21st-24th best college team in the country. That rating may be a little worse than where the sports writers had them, but it's almost spot on for their RPI and is actually better than they were rated by Pomeroy and other more sophisticated rating systems.

The best Murrary could have hoped for considering all that would have been about a #5 seed.