OU to the Sweet 16

akronzips71

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it fascinating, the difference in hiring a coach in Champaign/Chicago vs. Akron.

Wistercil can hire an absolute clown for a football coach in 2009, and other than the 16-or-so people on this site, no one threw a fit. No one even noticed. Ok, Terry Pluto wanted Paul Winters, but he's written that one 38 times.

Conversely, the Chicago Tribune prints a column decrying the potential Groce hire. And he's a GREAT coach.

It is really un-Akron.

I find it fascinating, the difference in hiring a coach in Champaign/Chicago vs. Akron.

Wistercil can hire an absolute clown for a football coach in 2009, and other than the 16-or-so people on this site, no one threw a fit. No one even noticed. Ok, Terry Pluto wanted Paul Winters, but he's written that one 38 times.

Conversely, the Chicago Tribune prints a column decrying the potential Groce hire. And he's a GREAT coach.

You should see the epic, ridiculous thread on Illinois' board.

Illinois Gets Lucky With Groce

In four years, he took a fairly average mid-major program and turned it into a March pest. At 40, Groce is the perfect coach to take over the University of Illinois. He's young, hungry and aggressive. He recruits point guards and gives them the keys to his offense. His teams play fast, shooting 3s and causing turnovers.

No, Shaka Smart didn't want the job. But this isn't a dumb hire for the Illinois.

Good story on Groce. But the most important quote for the Zips in that story is the following hint to KD:

"One time at a clinic, Doc Rivers said one thing he wishes he would've done as a young coach was be less controlling with his best players, because it takes away from their aggressiveness," Groce said. "So I try to do that with D.J. He feels like he has to be aggressive, be in attack mode, and to do that he has to take one or two shots that makes people cross their eyes over, so be it. … If you bridle him, he's not going to be nearly as good or aggressive. I want him to attack."

How would the Zips perform next season if KD gave Rico and the other players a little more freedom to be aggressive and in attack mode rather than always looking over at the sidelines to see what move KD wants them to do next?

Good story on Groce. But the most important quote for the Zips in that story is the following hint to KD:

"One time at a clinic, Doc Rivers said one thing he wishes he would've done as a young coach was be less controlling with his best players, because it takes away from their aggressiveness," Groce said. "So I try to do that with D.J. He feels like he has to be aggressive, be in attack mode, and to do that he has to take one or two shots that makes people cross their eyes over, so be it. … If you bridle him, he's not going to be nearly as good or aggressive. I want him to attack."

How would the Zips perform next season if KD gave Rico and the other players a little more freedom to be aggressive and in attack mode rather than always looking over at the sidelines to see what move KD wants them to do next?

First, I think it's impossible to know what he really meant, or in what context he may have given that answer. Because, if it were true, there'd be virtually no need for coaches. If a philosphy of "just let them play" was determined to be the most successful, everyone would do it, and we don't. And with using Alex as a an example, I think you are talking about someone at the other end of the spectrum.

@skip-zip, the shade of gray I'm talking about is where a disciplined team plays aggressively and opportunistically by design, not "just let them play" any way they want all the time. The coaching staff plays an important role teaching fundamentals, but gives the players more freedom to freelance within the structure. OU is similar to VCU in this respect, and I've already expressed my admiration for VCU's style of play under Shaka.

KD has a reputation for wanting to control his players, and we've had many discussions here about his "short leash" philosophy and how it may have negatively impacted some players. All I'm suggesting is that the Zips players returning for next season might be more effective if KD adopted a little more of the Groce/Shaka philosophy of turning them a little more loose within the system.

I think Doc Rivers' comment is one well worth considering, especially in the context of Rivers' coaching success.

By coincidence, there happens to be a story up on ESPN right now about the point guards playing in the Final Four that parallels what Groce had to say about Rivers' comment. Here are a couple of sections from that story, along with a link to it:

..... "There probably aren't many players who [Kansas coach Bill Self] would let come down on a one-on-four and shoot a 3," Tyshawn Taylor admitted sheepishly. "That's something I've done more than a few times this year."

That's frankly something all of these guys have done more than a few times this season. This mercurial quartet will determine our Final Four winners by both its control and lack thereof. .....

..... That trust part, that's the real tricky business. College basketball coaches are by their DNA control freaks. If they could choreograph layup lines, they would.

Instead they have to turn over the keys to their million-dollar programs, not to mention their livelihoods, to teenagers.

It is not exactly a comfortable arrangement. .....

Point guards guide Final Four teams