110 replies to this topic

#91 akzipper

akzipper

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

It is being reported that Groce will be named Illini HC today or tomorrow at the latest. And few are happy. Mike Thomas is catching grief because of this hire. In fact, they are saying, that he is in over his head.

http://www.suntimes....ball-coach.html

But wait didn't OU fans say their school was going to triple his salary? I thought they were so smart and intelligent?

People from OU are starting to look as dumb as Can't fans. Real question is who do I hate more?

#92 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

But wait didn't OU fans say their school was going to triple his salary? I thought they were so smart and intelligent?

I don't even think they would claim that, even at their drunkest.
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#93 akronad

akronad

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Illinois will not be conducting a press conference today to announce their new HC. OU student newspaper is still saying this is done deal. This is sounding more and more like us with our search for a fb coacch.

#94 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

Here's the best story yet about Groce and the University of Illinois because of the way the story begins:

Illinois AD botches search

BY DAVID HAUGH Chicago Tribune

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Had Akron guard Brian Walsh hit an open 18-footer with nine seconds left in the Mid-American Conference championship game two weeks ago, Illinois fans might never have spent yesterday Googling the name John Groce.

But Walsh missed, the Ohio team coached by Groce hung on for a 64-63 victory to clinch an automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament and, here we are, with Illinois ready to take home the girl it met five minutes before closing time.

#95 Dr Z

Dr Z

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

If if's and buts were candy and nuts.......

Sports history is made of winners and losers. Most loser stories start with "if"...in this case "had."
I hope some day our opponents fans type "if Akron hadn't..." That's when I'll laugh, until then it's just another sad ending.

michgamebanner2.jpg

"I've been fortunate in my life time to be part of some big wins, and that would have been the biggest" —Terry Bowden on UA@UM

#96 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

here we are, with Illinois ready to take home the girl it met five minutes before closing time.

This guy assumes the girl you meet five minutes before close is going to be bad in the sack. I would say that is rarely the case. Booze brings out the best in all of us.
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#97 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

It is unfortunate that the ignorant sports fans & writers grossly outnumber the intelligent, free-thinking ones.

It would be interesting to see what David Haugh thought about Bruce Weber when his Illinois team reached the NCAA finals. Was he leaning towards a contract extension, or did he know Weber was destined for a mediocre career conclusion in Champaign? I'll guess he probably leaned towards an extension. Funny how hindsight makes some people experts.

Now we see this writer rail on Groce...a guy whose career he's researched for roughly 38 seconds.

Groce's Ohio University, not Ohio State teams have whipped Georgetown, beat Michigan and beat USF in the NCAA tourney during their last 2 appearances. Take a look at the post season results of all MAC basketball programs over the past several years and tell me how impressive that is to have on your resume. It's a hell of a lot more impressive than winning NCAA tourney games coming from the CAA, Horizon or MVC.

Keith Dambrot is a great basketball coach. Won 20+ games per season for 7...8 consecutive seasons (I forget offhand)? And recently, Groce has owned him. The Zips last 2 trips to Athens bear witness to the most uncompetitive beatdowns of those respective Akron Basketball seasons.

If Haugh wants to boil things down to a single shot, like Walsh's miss, than why not use the identical logic on Offutt's free throw? Groce could just as easily been in the Elite 8 as the NIT? Whether or not Groce is a Big10-level coach depends on how stupid you are, and what you want to believe.

As previously stated, Mike Thomas made one bad hire - JD Brookhart (his first hire as an AD). And that guy won Akron's only MAC football championship.

Mike Thomas knows how to evaluate coaching talent. He has a proven record of elevating and sustaining excellence in collegiate athletic programs. He will find Illinois a great Head Basketball Coach. And that guy is probably John Groce.
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

#98 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

The Zips last 2 trips to Athens bear witness to the most uncompetitive beatdowns of those respective Akron Basketball seasons.

And you probably spared us by not mentioning the most embarrassing game of them all.....the 2011 game at the JAR where OU had a lead as large as 24 points, on our home floor, before a late barrage by Akron prevented me from experiencing complete humiliation.

The guy has won 5 out of the last 6 games against probably the 2nd most successful program in the MAC over these last 3 years, with 3 of them being blowouts, and 2 more being title games. I honestly can't think of any MAC coach in recent memory more deserving of a big jump upward.

#99 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

And you probably spared us by not mentioning the most embarrassing game of them all.....the 2011 game at the JAR where OU had a lead as large as 24 points, on our home floor, before a late barrage by Akron prevented me from experiencing complete humiliation.

The guy has won 5 out of the last 6 games against probably the 2nd most successful program in the MAC over these last 3 years, with 3 of them being blowouts, and 2 more being title games. I honestly can't think of any MAC coach in recent memory more deserving of a big jump upward.

He makes Geno Ford look like a booger.

-Denny Green-

#100 JSF

JSF

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

But wait didn't OU fans say their school was going to triple his salary?

Please don't associate that idiot with Ohio fans, Ohio alumni, or humans with an average intelligence.
Follow the MAC Report Online and J. Scott Fitzwater Twitter feeds.

#101 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

He makes Geno Ford look like a booger.

Wait. Are you trying to say that the Bradley situation isn't turning out so well? :lol:

#102 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

I give major props to David Haugh for spelling Akron correctly. ;)

#103 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

I find it fascinating, the difference in hiring a coach in Champaign/Chicago vs. Akron.

Wistercil can hire an absolute clown for a football coach in 2009, and other than the 16-or-so people on this site, no one threw a fit. No one even noticed. Ok, Terry Pluto wanted Paul Winters, but he's written that one 38 times.

Conversely, the Chicago Tribune prints a column decrying the potential Groce hire. And he's a GREAT coach.

It is really un-Akron.

-Denny Green-

#104 AKSportsFan

AKSportsFan

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Groce to Illinois - ESPN Article
"Akron out of time outs. 2nd and 10. Hixon running deep, Getsy pumps, he throws for Hixon and it is---CAUGHT for a touchdown ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!"

#105 JSF

JSF

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

I find it fascinating, the difference in hiring a coach in Champaign/Chicago vs. Akron.

Wistercil can hire an absolute clown for a football coach in 2009, and other than the 16-or-so people on this site, no one threw a fit. No one even noticed. Ok, Terry Pluto wanted Paul Winters, but he's written that one 38 times.

Conversely, the Chicago Tribune prints a column decrying the potential Groce hire. And he's a GREAT coach.

You should see the epic, ridiculous thread on Illinois' board.
Follow the MAC Report Online and J. Scott Fitzwater Twitter feeds.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users