Spring Practice Video

AKSportsFan

From Gozips.com:

Zips Notebook: Including walk ons and mid-year transfers, the program enters spring camp with 106 players listed on its roster ... the roster features seven quarterbacks, including Stephen F. Austin transfer Dalton Williams ... rising sophomore Nick Rossi was seen working with the linebackers today after serving as a fullback as a true freshman in 2011 ... after competing as a safety last fall, sophomore-to-be L.T. Smith worked out with the receivers today ... redshirt freshman Cody Grice, listed as a fullback on the official roster, took reps on the defensive line. He is a product of nearby Firestone HS.

Sounds good to me.

Pleasantly surprised at all the positive energy and that we now have a writer that is feeding it all to us. GT is makin' it happen.

...I love every second of watching the video and it leaves me begging for more. If I'm having this much fun as a fan I hope all of this is gonna turn from talk into results.

Go ZIPS!!!

@jz84...Great quote and thanks for posting. It goes to show that TB knows how to communicate with college athletes that gets the best out of them. "Coach" is another name for a teacher. When a coach yells constantly (The previous guy was a Charlie Weis follower...do the math), it is a sign the guy really isn't a very good instructor of young men. It's no longer the 1950s. When I hear that things are more intense and relaxed as well, I hear..."We are playing the game we love to play at a higher level and having fun doing it." Very positive sign for the program. One might even say that by the end of spring practice, many of these players will have gone through a revelation of some sorts as it involves football.

Nice.

Photos by Phil Masturzo of the ABJ:

practice1.jpg

Coach Bowden (center) keeps an eye on quarterbacks Dalton

Williams (left) & Zach D'Orazio during their 1st practice Tuesday

practice2.jpg

Cornerback Malachi Freeman (48) breaks up a pass intended for Keith Sconiers

practice3.jpg

Offensive line coach Alan Arrington barks at players during 2-minute drills

I noticed that GoZips updated the spring 2012 roster recently. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it's great to see Bre' Ford still on the team. I was concerned toward the end of 2011 that he might not be back.

Off the top of my head, about the only guy I don't see is the TE from Dayton who originally signed with Colorado (Farmer or something like that?). He didn't play anyway. I'm probably missing someone, but there certainly has been no mass exodus.

Also, I noticed another kicker (from Indianapolis) was added to the roster. Maybe he'll have a big leg for kickoffs? AJ Fox was fine for FGs and extra points, but the short kickoffs were maddening.

And the track star Phil Ferguson (not the long-time Akron area bowler/radio broadcaster) from Copley is going out for wide receiver.

We also added Zach Tenuta, a TE formerly from Marshall. There are a few other transfers from other colleges.

Numbers look better, but 6 tight ends might be a little overkill for a spread offense. :)

Wouldn't it be awesome if Phil Ferguson turned out to be a pleasant surprise at WR? I would be interested to know how that came about...was he "recruited" by the staff or did he decide to walk-on of his own accord?

Numbers look better, but 6 tight ends might be a little overkill for a spread offense. :)

Wouldn't it be awesome if Phil Ferguson turned out to be a pleasant surprise at WR? I would be interested to know how that came about...was he "recruited" by the staff or did he decide to walk-on of his own accord?

True, but that's down from 10 or 11 last spring :lol:

I was wondering the same thing about Ferguson. I'm betting Coach Bowden and staff gave the successful track team a once over :thumb:

I noticed that GoZips updated the spring 2012 roster recently. There's nothing earth-shattering here, but it's great to see Bre' Ford still on the team. I was concerned toward the end of 2011 that he might not be back.

Off the top of my head, about the only guy I don't see is the TE from Dayton who originally signed with Colorado (Farmer or something like that?). He didn't play anyway. I'm probably missing someone, but there certainly has been no mass exodus.

Also, I noticed another kicker (from Indianapolis) was added to the roster. Maybe he'll have a big leg for kickoffs? AJ Fox was fine for FGs and extra points, but the short kickoffs were maddening.

And the track star Phil Ferguson (not the long-time Akron area bowler/radio broadcaster) from Copley is going out for wide receiver.

We also added Zach Tenuta, a TE formerly from Marshall. There are a few other transfers from other colleges.

I think the TE you're talking about is Justin Favors. Also, I noticed A.Russell isn't on the roster. That seems like the only major subtraction. I actually expected more turnover, but maybe there will be some after spring practice.

I think the TE you're talking about is Justin Favors. Also, I noticed A.Russell isn't on the roster. That seems like the only major subtraction. I actually expected more turnover, but maybe there will be some after spring practice.

You are correct. Favors is (was) the guy. Good eye on Russell. I figured I must have missed a couple. Like B&G says, he was a pretty versatile guy with decent speed. But somehow I think we'll recover ;)

Head coach Terry Bowden will throw out the first pitch at tomorrow's UA-Ball State baseball game at Canal Park in downtown Akron. The Mid-American Conference opener between the Zips and Cardinals is scheduled to get underway at 3 p.m. ET and admission is free ... February signee Curtis Black (OL), who attends nearby Can't Roosevelt High School, was at InfoCision Stadium today to watch practice ... former Zips defensive end Shane Shead, who completed his eligibility in 2011, will serve as an undergraduate student assistant while working on completion of his degree.

Nice to see Shane Shead return to complete his degree.

Also, having Curtis Black stop by practice highlights a cool benefit of recruiting locally. The players can get a real idea of what's expected of them and have a year to prepare for it. It's easy for a kid living in Portage or Stark counties to stop by and watch, while I don't expect any of the Florida recruits to come up just to watch a practice (they might be there for the spring game, though).

Practice #4

http://gozips.com/sports/fball/2012-13/rel.../20120327aj1os1

QBs thinnning out with D'Orazio at WR (good move, IMHO).

If you could judge QB's on one play, Nicely, Moore, and Williams, Willians looked the best and worst, the passes I saw were crisp and on target except for the interception at the end of the video.

I have a feeling Williams is going to come out as number 1 once they start back up for the summer/fall.