GT Article on QB Importance in Bowden Spread

johnnyzip84

Here is another fine report from Ohio.com :thumb:

I'm really intrigued by this little tidbit:

Williams has to compete against incumbent Clayton Moore, Patrick Nicely and newcomer Tyrell Goodman, who has opened Bowden’s eyes with his accuracy.

How would that be for irony if a guy from Ianello's high school wound up playing a key role in the Zips' resergence?

I must say that when GT was announced as the new Zips beat reporter it was panned on this board, but he is proving to be a a great pen. I am an ultimate homer for Zips football, GRANTED, but George's posts have my juices flowing. Best coverage we have had, IMHO.

I'm very interested to see how this QB situation turns out. I'm glad he wrote a story about and I guess it's really hard to judge just watching them throw in practice. I mean in all reality our defense is really bad. The worst defense in the worst conference in FBS. In the end I'm wondering if the guy that gets the nod is really a good QB, or just the best of a bad group. Let's just hope the starter isn't decided by an Eric Mangini coin flip!!

Right now looking at the individuals, I'd really hope to see Nicely stand out. He's really been through a lot. Starting out with JD having a redshirt burned, sticking with Ianello for two years, now one last shot. Moore has also been through a lot. Ole Miss, JUCO, Ianello, and now with a last shot like Nicely. But like I said I'm looking at each of them as individuals. It may not be the best long term solution for the team to have one good year with a guy, then start all over next year. I have high hopes for Tyrell Goodman, and have always rooted for dual threat QB's. Their exciting and have big play ability. I doubt he will win the job, but that will set us up great for the next 3 years. At least give us some optimism and relief to build around.

Things may change at QB when the freshmen get here. I will be surprised if PN7 or LR8 get the starting nod. If either of the incumbents get the position they will have earned it. It is a great time to be a Zip fan. Upgraded my season tix today! :rock:

Things may change at QB when the freshmen get here. I will be surprised if PN7 or LR8 get the starting nod. If either of the incumbents get the position they will have earned it. It is a great time to be a Zip fan. Upgraded my season tix today! :rock:

I thiink your expectations of incoming freshman may be a bit high. I think Clayton Moore will be the starter and he will excel in the system.

Let's just hope the starter isn't decided by an Eric Mangini coin flip!!

that was romeo crennel deciding the starter of a preseason game between Charlie & DA...FYI...not mangini, who happened to be the best HC the browns have had since their unfortunate return...but i digress

I thiink your expectations of incoming freshman may be a bit high. I think Clayton Moore will be the starter and he will excel in the system.

"Things may change at QB when the freshmen get here."

^^^ That ^^^ statement translates as having too high expectations for the freshmen? Really? Wow.

But since you brought it up, I am very intrigued by Dan Harding and perhaps my irrational exuberance for the Zippers makes me want to believe he will turn out to be the real deal.

I wish Ole Miss all the best and I hope he can make large strides this year. I just haven't seen anything in his performances that make me believe he will. Prove me wrong, LR8!

I would be interested to know how important the running ability of the QB is in Coach B's mind. Is the looking for a Tebow or is he looking for a better thrower like RGIII(although, RGIII is a great runner)? I don't know the answer to this and would be interest in knowing.

I'm very interested to see how this QB situation turns out. I'm glad he wrote a story about and I guess it's really hard to judge just watching them throw in practice. I mean in all reality our defense is really bad. The worst defense in the worst conference in FBS. In the end I'm wondering if the guy that gets the nod is really a good QB, or just the best of a bad group. Let's just hope the starter isn't decided by an Eric Mangini coin flip!!

Right now looking at the individuals, I'd really hope to see Nicely stand out. He's really been through a lot. Starting out with JD having a redshirt burned, sticking with Ianello for two years, now one last shot. Moore has also been through a lot. Ole Miss, JUCO, Ianello, and now with a last shot like Nicely. But like I said I'm looking at each of them as individuals. It may not be the best long term solution for the team to have one good year with a guy, then start all over next year. I have high hopes for Tyrell Goodman, and have always rooted for dual threat QB's. Their exciting and have big play ability. I doubt he will win the job, but that will set us up great for the next 3 years. At least give us some optimism and relief to build around.

I refuse to make any assumptions on the talent level of this team based off the ineptitude of Rob Ianello. We were in a lot of games during his short tenure that even a bad coach would have won. Talent doesn't leave wide receivers open by 20 yards....bad coaching does.

I refuse to make any assumptions on the talent level of this team based off the ineptitude of Rob Ianello. We were in a lot of games during his short tenure that even a bad coach would have won. Talent doesn't leave wide receivers open by 20 yards....bad coaching does.

I think you are correct. I fully expect Coach Bowden & Amato to find talent on this roster and play to our strengths, not adhere to a system and pound square pegs into round holes like RI. Rob came close to winning a few games in spite of himself. The competent staff we have now will (((hopefully))) win all the games we should and steal one or two we shouldn't.