Duquesne fires coach

K92

I don't think a boycott is the way to go, but I do think it would be nice to e-mail them and voice support for UA-themed events. When they were asking for opinions on who to make the "Akron-themed" bobblehead of, Keith Dambrot and Caleb Porter were both mentioned by more than a few people. I think it'd go a long way to e-mail them and push for one of these two, to make that our "UA Night", and to prove that UA fans, students, alumni will support UA-related promotions in the future.

Please, take a few minutes and contact them here.

While many here want that "proven winner" gone...ironic.

My opinion - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

One writer thinks they should hire a proven winner. Link.

So Keith Dambrot will want to go to a worse school? Why is that?

Maybe they beat us this year, we are on a completely different levels not only as a basketball program, but with all athletics. The A10 is better than the MAC in the fact that they have Dayton, Xavier, and Temple. But like the MAC there are two completely different groups of teams. You have the elite and the bad. With a huge talent gap separating them. Duquesne, Richmond, George Washington, etc are comparable to the MAC west. Now as far as their athletics program, they are struggling. If I remember correctly they had to cut out a huge amount of sports a few years ago, and an arena much worse than the JAR.

Still don't understand this writer's thinking. Would Tom Izzo leave MSU to coach Ohio if Groce leaves? Will Calipari coach Akron if KD leaves?

If KD really wants out of Akron, I guess he could go to a school his dad played at. But that would be a huge blow to our school!! Akron loves him!

Simple answer for Duquesne fans:

I'd say the chances are ZERO that Keith stayed at Akron for 8 years, and compiled a great record, to earn a chance to leave for a job like Duquesne.

I actually heard he has been holding out for a job at Hiram? and Caleb Porter is actually going to coach Duquesne soccer. This "writer" just got a little mixed up! it happens...

Fans are so sick of coaches using their school as a stepping stone for bigger programs. No wonder we're going to see a new wave of coaches at successful programs leaving to coach garbage schools!

Simple answer for Duquesne fans:

I'd say the chances are ZERO that Keith stayed at Akron for 8 years, and compiled a great record, to earn a chance to leave for a job like Duquesne.

Duquesne could offer Jeff Boals or Orlando Antigua (Calipari assistant, former player and ass't at Pitt), but they would probably turn them down too. It's not a very prestigious job. And there aren't many Keith Dambrots around. None with Duquesne alumni or city ties. Sorry, Dukes.

Tomorrow, the President of Duquesne should fire the AD. Then, he should call up the fired coach and beg him to come back. Three kids left the team after their AD turned down an invitation to that lame non-NIT tournament (CIA...whatever) among other reasons. Mark Madden blog

This is a case where the President of the University should have told the AD, "He is more important than you. I'd fire you before I'd let you fire him. Turn in your resignation if you don't like it." I actally told a sales manager who reported to me that one time. He was one of those guys who wanted to hire "his guys" and I told him I would fie him before I let him fire seasoned successful sales reps in order to hire his friends.

Having read KDs resume in the article, I think that if he were to consider leaving, it would only be for a big time school.

He has the credentials to coach at OSU or Indiana or Kentucky or anyplace else if a job opened up. I just doubt he would want to jump into a "losing" program at this point in time.

Like I said why would he want to jump to a losing program? especially at a smaller school? It's just confusing to me.

I see they actually mentioned Groce too. But not Shaka Smart?

Having read KDs resume in the article, I think that if he were to consider leaving, it would only be for a big time school.

He has the credentials to coach at OSU or Indiana or Kentucky or anyplace else if a job opened up. I just doubt he would want to jump into a "losing" program at this point in time.

Do you think any of the schools you mentioned are looking for a coach who has never won an NCAA Tournament game?

Wonder exactly what kind of acid was taken before writing this article.

Didn't Ray Mernagh used to contribute to the macreportonline? I seem to remember him writing some very good articles on the Zips before they went on their current streak. Isn't he also the author of "One Chance to Dance?". Makes the article even more curious if this is the same guy.

If KD ever leaves Akron, I'd guess it would only be for a premier job at a name school in a top conference.

Not only do I think he's happy at Akron, but he is entirely accepted here. Were he to leave, all that garbage from his time at Central Michigan once again will get dredged up and rehashed and blown out of all proportion and he'll have to relive it once again and answer the same questions over and over again. Is it fair? Of course not it's not fair, but that's KD's reality whether he likes it or not. It might be worth going through all that again if the job were, say, Ohio State, but he's not going to do it for what is, essentially, a lateral move with only marginal upside in salary and prestige.

The Dukes have a habit of hiring recently fired Nebraska coaches, and low and behold, one is available this year!

Oh, but they don't recall the Danny Nee (no, I didn't stutter) years with great fondness on the Bluff.

Maybe if Doc Sadler spends one year as HC at Bobby Mo first?

If KD ever leaves Akron, I'd guess it would only be for a premier job at a name school in a top conference.

He has done a good job here, but he would never get an interview from a BCS school. He has never won an NCAA tournament game, never had a name win on his schedule, flamed out of the NIT, and can barely win the MAC.

His resume isn't that special. An Atlantic 10 offer is about the best he would get.

Didn't Ray Mernagh used to contribute to the macreportonline? I seem to remember him writing some very good articles on the Zips before they went on their current streak. Isn't he also the author of "One Chance to Dance?". Makes the article even more curious if this is the same guy.

Yes to all of it. I was too harsh originally; he did indicate it was unlikely. Ray's a smart dude and very in touch with the Pittsburgh scene.

Heck with the coaching situation. I read a great article in Pitt Post Gazette yesterday about this. Not only are most surprised at the AD firing the coach, the AD was unaware that he had 4 really good recruits coming in. I heard at least two are not going to Duquesne now. I think we need to see if any of those players have an interest in the Zips.

Heck with the coaching situation. I read a great article in Pitt Post Gazette yesterday about this. Not only are most surprised at the AD firing the coach, the AD was unaware that he had 4 really good recruits coming in. I heard at least two are not going to Duquesne now. I think we need to see if any of those players have an interest in the Zips.

WOW! Talk about a lack of communications. It seems like they hated each others guts.

The AD should be immediately shown the door and the President of Duquesne should go crawling on his hands and knees to the former coach and ask him back. It's amazing the number of fools working in college athletics.

Duquesne Basketball

The coach at Duquesne had a few winning seasons at a school that only had a few winning seasons in the last 40 years. They only won 3 games the year before he was hired. If athletic directors weren't so short sighted, they would look to hire a guy like him.

The AD should be immediately shown the door and the President of Duquesne should go crawling on his hands and knees to the former coach and ask him back. It's amazing the number of fools working in college athletics.

Duquesne Basketball

The coach at Duquesne had a few winning seasons at a school that only had a few winning seasons in the last 40 years. They only won 3 games the year before he was hired. If athletic directors weren't so short sighted, they would look to hire a guy like him.

Wow a school like that is really a powerhouse! Of course KD will leave Akron (6 MAC championship appearances, 2 NCAA's) for a school that prestigious. Their basketball tradition is amazing, I'm surprised they aren't in the Big East or hell Big Ten for that matter. Maybe since the Big12 is losing members they will invite Duquesne. Their football stadium seats 4500 not bad, only 5,000 less than my high school. Maybe Bowden can go with him...

KD would be going from a 4-star restaurant at Akron...to McDonalds in Pittsburgh.

Still don't get it!

The firing of Everhart was beyond idiotic. As someone who follows A10 basketball, I think Everhart has done a terrific job at what has been historically a terrible basketball school. I believe he interviewed for the Penn State opening last summer and his name is being brought up now for the Kansas State opening. The Duquesne AD is beyond delusional. Probably not going to be a lot of coaches that want that job now.

The firing of Everhart was beyond idiotic. As someone who follows A10 basketball, I think Everhart has done a terrific job at what has been historically a terrible basketball school. I believe he interviewed for the Penn State opening last summer and his name is being brought up now for the Kansas State opening. The Duquesne AD is beyond delusional. Probably not going to be a lot of coaches that want that job now.

Yeah. They won what, 3 games the year before he took over? Add to that the shooting and players involved...They better hire TJ McConell's mom and get TJ back if they want any chance of competing this year.

Delusional is a good way to describe some of the people who follow Duquesne hoops. As someone who grew up in Pittsburgh, I can vouch that there has long been a group of fans and administrators who are planted firmly in the past. To them, a return to the days of the "Iron Dukes" or Norm Nixon (heckuva player, BTW) or the Eastern Eight surely can't be too far around the corner. It may be hard to believe today, but up until the late 70's and early 80's the Dukes battled it out pretty evenly with the Panthers for Steel City supremacy and regional relevance. The breakup of the Eastern Eight really stifled any chance the Dukes could compete long term however. Pitt was accepted into the Big East and their program absolutely took off, perhaps best illustrated by the decision to tear down beloved Pitt Stadium and build a first class basketball facility in its footprint. And some of the Duquesne followers have had a really hard time watching Pitt ascend to the levels they have. I'm certainly not justifying this move, as I believe firing Everhart was totally foolish. I'm just saying it doesn't surprise me.