Puerto Rico Tipoff

FromdaBurgh

OK...so I realize most of you are probably not thinking about next year's season...BUT....I wanted to let people know that the Puerto Rico tipoff is Nov 15-18. What I wanted to know is if the University is going to put together a travel package and if so does anyone know when they will be releasing the information?

Working on my travel fund now...LOL :)

OK...so I realize most of you are probably not thinking about next year's season...BUT....I wanted to let people know that the Puerto Rico tipoff is Nov 15-18. What I wanted to know is if the University is going to put together a travel package and if so does anyone know when they will be releasing the information?

NOOOOO!! That's a week before thanksgiving. I won't be able to take time off. :mad_flame:

Changer, I don't mean to sound snide or sarcastic, but if you had been following Akron hoops as long as many of us in the Nation, you would know better than to expect the U of Akron -- particularly that body that should be expected (i.e., the ALUMNI Association) to step into this breach and provide any assistance to fans of Zips basketball. On the rare occasions when anything WAS put together, the costs ended up being higher than if individual fans had made the arrangements themselves. My advice to you and all others interested in following the team en la isla this coming season is to start shopping around now for flight and hotel accommodations. Actually, I would suggest using Zn.o as a sounding board for this -- as has been done with NCAA basketball and soccer tournament travels in the past. If you find a bargain, let the rest of us know!

If anyone were smart in the Atheltics dept., they would bring a travel agency on board. DaVinci's comes to mind. They could get plane arrangements in order, block off a set of rooms at the hotel, and start organizing some side trips (excursions).

Now is perfect ttime to start putting things in place.

Definately go to the Puerto Rico Tip Off Tournament.

Anthony Travel is the agency that is used by all 8 teams involved. (unless they change it from last year)

They offered hotel rooms discounted for $100 per night, which is a deal. I had to upgrade to a Family Junior Suite with a King bed and two single beds in an adjoining room because I had my wife and two kids with me. I believe it was around $240 ish per night.

Air fare ran me $365 per person going from Detroit to Charlotte to San Juan...then from San Juan to Miami, to Detroit coming back. We departed on a wednesday and returned on monday.

Don't bother renting a car unless you absolutely want to sight see for more than a day. You can get a taxi or free shuttle to the arena for the games, and the taxi ride to Old San Juan isn't too expensive.

Lots of nice people and great weather. All of us had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat.

Definately go to the Puerto Rico Tip Off Tournament.

Anthony Travel is the agency that is used by all 8 teams involved. (unless they change it from last year)

They offered hotel rooms discounted for $100 per night, which is a deal. I had to upgrade to a Family Junior Suite with a King bed and two single beds in an adjoining room because I had my wife and two kids with me. I believe it was around $240 ish per night.

Air fare ran me $365 per person going from Detroit to Charlotte to San Juan...then from San Juan to Miami, to Detroit coming back. We departed on a wednesday and returned on monday.

Don't bother renting a car unless you absolutely want to sight see for more than a day. You can get a taxi or free shuttle to the arena for the games, and the taxi ride to Old San Juan isn't too expensive.

Lots of nice people and great weather. All of us had a great time and would go back in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the tips! :wave:

Chima Travel (the sponsor of your Akron ticket office) would be your best bet.

Z.I.P. every time the Alumni Association tried as you suggested the participation by alumni was an utter failure. Don't blame this on the Alumni Associaiton. If I understand correctly the Alumni Association is not in this type of business any longer the Athletic Dept has taken it over. I was on a charter flight to Purdue with the team and alumni -- barely had enough participation to fill half the plane and the price was quite reasonable. A trip of this magnitude would be an extremely difficult sell with the apathetic sports fans Akron has. The Alumni Association has a hard time getting people to show up for events on campus.

+1

• 3 months later...

I just signed on - also going to run over to the Virgin Islands the next couple of days following the tournament. I signed on by myself but would not be opposed to sharing a room if someone else is going as a single and wants to save a little cash. Preference given to attractive, single females first. ;-) Originally I thought my son would be able to join me but he probably can only join me for the Virgin Islands portion.

As of today, 22 people have put deposits down on the Puerto Rico trip put together by the Athletic Development Department and Chima Travel. Chima has over twenty additional coach tickets reserved on the United flights to San Juan. This is a pretty good deal considering it includes air fare, hotel room, all taxes, tips, resort fees, ground transportation and game tickets. I have stayed at this hotel (the last time we played in Puerto Rico) and it is a good location and well maintained property.

Make your decision about joining us before the tickets are gone.

I've given this trip a lot of consideration, but family plans that time of year and other opportunities to support Zip athletics have won out. Instead of the trip, I'm looking to upgrade my season ticket plan. I'm sure I wish I was there when the games are played! Looking forward to the tournament even if it means listening from afar.

• 1 month later...

r u gonna make the trip??

Unfortunately NO...I'm going to be a grandmother for the first time and my granddaughter is due to make her arrival Nov 15th. So GG has to stay close to home in order to witness her grand entrance! :lol:

WONDER TWIN POWERS....ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Changer, did you mean Twin Powers, or Twin Towers?? :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Zips need our help. They're currently not doing so well in the ESPN poll question: Which dark horse team has the best chance to win the Puerto RicoTip-Off?

To vote, go to the following link, then scroll down to Special Topics in the lefthand column and click on CBB: 2012 Puerto RicoTip-Off.

ESPN Polls

• 2 weeks later...

The Zips have quite an opportunity in front of them. Joe Lunardi's first Bracketology has Oklahoma St, NC State and Tennessee all listed as being in and UMass as the first team out so the Zips have a good chance to change perceptions early on. Would also be fun to possibly beat UMass in football and basketball in a week. I also think that Oklahoma State is a perfect first opponent. High profile, very good but not great (one of the last teams listed as in and #36 in the AP poll) and one the Zips have a legitimate opportunity to beat and raise some eyebrows early. Go Zips! :)