Chipotle/5 Guys to Campus?

I know, its the age-old question of where the University will finally get a franchise of either place on or near campus. We all have wanted them, myself included, as do the countless residents on or around campus. However, this time I think it's got validity...

Had a close friend tell me the other day that University Park Alliance bought the properties between Penn Station and Allyn Street (the former College Bookstore/Miracle Trophies, Revol Wireless store, etc) and are planning to demolish them and build a small building where a new Chipotle and 5 Guys Bugers and Fries would be housed. Nothing has been made official according to him, but the plans are in place and the chances are VERY high.

I havent been able to validate that UPA did or didn't buy those properties, but the idea alone sounds promising!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, its the age-old question of where the University will finally get a franchise of either place on or near campus. We all have wanted them, myself included, as do the countless residents on or around campus. However, this time I think it's got validity...

Had a close friend tell me the other day that University Park Alliance bought the properties between Penn Station and Allyn Street (the former College Bookstore/Miracle Trophies, Revol Wireless store, etc) and are planning to demolish them and build a small building where a new Chipotle and 5 Guys Bugers and Fries would be housed. Nothing has been made official according to him, but the plans are in place and the chances are VERY high.

I havent been able to validate that UPA did or didn't buy those properties, but the idea alone sounds promising!

:rock:

My company is working on a proposal for that project right now. That means they likely haven't purchased it yet, but are very close. The plans I've seen show a building more like the exchange street dorms, which could easily house either or both of those restaurants. Either of those would be a gold mine on campus, I would think.

Let my one margarita experience be a warning to anybody thinking of ordering a margarita at Chipotle....DON'T DO IT.

It really looks like a bad idea when I actually type that out. Maybe I should start doing that more often.

The margaritas in lot 9 blow those things away. margarita.gif

I'd rather have a Qdoba on campus over a Chipotle. It gives the students more options. If they want Chipotle they can go to any number of them in the area, but there aren't any Qdobas around Akron.

A Panera would make a killing. If I could afford the startup costs, I would open a franchise somewhere between campus and downtown.

I was in the fast food business previously and considered putting a location in the new student center until I found out what UA wanted in return. It was a no brainer to walk away. The big problem with any of these places is that its almost impossible to make any money in the restaurant business to begin with. If you own a franchise. you are stuck giving 6-10% of your gross to them up front and when you are located inside the University they expect a cut also.

I was in the fast food business previously and considered putting a location in the new student center until I found out what UA wanted in return. It was a no brainer to walk away. The big problem with any of these places is that its almost impossible to make any money in the restaurant business to begin with. If you own a franchise. you are stuck giving 6-10% of your gross to them up front and when you are located inside the University they expect a cut also.

You're quite right. I was in the business 30 years ago. it wa that way then and nothing has changed. That is why prices at stadiums, arenas, concert venues are so high.

I do hope they get the 5 Guys. I would get lunch there 3 days a week. :thumb:

Forget the union, they would only need to put it on exchange.

Had a close friend tell me the other day that University Park Alliance bought the properties between Penn Station and Allyn Street (the former College Bookstore/Miracle Trophies, Revol Wireless store, etc) and are planning to demolish them and build a small building where a new Chipotle and 5 Guys Bugers and Fries would be housed.
Far walk from campus.

• 2 months later...

It would appear things are moving along, but with the addition of more dorms.

I for one am pretty excited theyre adding more dorms with storefronts. This is the type of plan they need to be using for all of south campus.

http://www.ohio.com/news/new-student-housi...street-1.313915

It would appear things are moving along, but with the addition of more dorms.

I for one am pretty excited theyre adding more dorms with storefronts. This is the type of plan they need to be using for all of south campus.

http://www.ohio.com/news/new-student-housi...street-1.313915

I'm interested to see what type of "dorm" this will be. It's not going to be university-run, so I would imagine it would just be apartments, but I never recall 22 Exchange (also student specific housing) being referred to as dorms. Has anyone ever heard of non-university affiliated student housing that was actually basic residence hall style?

I'm interested to see what type of "dorm" this will be. It's not going to be university-run, so I would imagine it would just be apartments, but I never recall 22 Exchange (also student specific housing) being referred to as dorms. Has anyone ever heard of non-university affiliated student housing that was actually basic residence hall style?

I'm also surprised the article even refers to them as dorms. Using that term around a group of RA's is worse than using a racial slur.

Curious as to what 7 retail/food options there will be on the first floor.

• 4 weeks later...

Some people like it, and some don't like it. But it's not a bad choice for the area. Friend from Baltimore came in town, and never gone to Cici's before(never heard of it before). He tried cici's while in town, and loved it...people will give a pizza buffet a chance...

Some people like it, and some don't like it. But it's not a bad choice for the area. Friend from Baltimore came in town, and never gone to Cici's before(never heard of it before). He tried cici's while in town, and loved it...people will give a pizza buffet a chance...

I think most people are that way about Pizza places. Either love or hate a place. I'm in the minority that I actually hate pizza, so really don't have an opinion.

I'm wondering if most businesses owners will see it as a risky place. Of course it will packed during the fall and spring semesters, but how much business will they really get during the summer and winter breaks? Would people employed downtown walk that far? How many people are around campus all year?

Some places i'd like to see there would be chick-fil-a, ColdStone, KFC, Swensons, or some kind of Chinese place. Please no more Subways....

I think most people are that way about Pizza places. Either love or hate a place. I'm in the minority that I actually hate pizza, so really don't have an opinion.

I'm wondering if most businesses owners will see it as a risky place. Of course it will packed during the fall and spring semesters, but how much business will they really get during the summer and winter breaks? Would people employed downtown walk that far? How many people are around campus all year?

Some places i'd like to see there would be chick-fil-a, ColdStone, KFC, Swensons, or some kind of Chinese place. Please no more Subways....

Why do you think the Verizon store bought out the rest of their multi-year contract after not even 6 months?

Also there will be a new food venue, most likely operated by dining services in the CBA concourse. Bye bye Street Treats, it was nice while it lasted.

Why do you think the Verizon store bought out the rest of their multi-year contract after not even 6 months?

Also there will be a new food venue, most likely operated by dining services in the CBA concourse. Bye bye Street Treats, it was nice while it lasted.

Well the verizon store was a dumb idea to begin with. I would say almost all college students already have phones, and people don't go to a phone store unless they need to buy a phone. Even if you need a charger or case, the prices at any walmart or best buy are much cheaper. Not to mention cell phones are a major commitment financially.

It would be like a Car Dealership opening on on the corner of exchange/grant. How much business would they get??

Well the verizon store was a dumb idea to begin with. I would say almost all college students already have phones, and people don't go to a phone store unless they need to buy a phone. Even if you need a charger or case, the prices at any walmart or best buy are much cheaper. Not to mention cell phones are a major commitment financially.

It would be like a Car Dealership opening on on the corner of exchange/grant. How much business would they get??

agreed. a verizon store buying out their contract isnt a good example. All the other restaurants seem to do fine during the summer.

I'm glad they are looking at healthy places like 5 Guys and Chipotle for the students to eat. We need more of that.

Maybe they aren't healthy, but they are places people want to eat at. Do you think by building 10 vegan restaurants around campus it will force students to eat healthy? Chances are they will just drive further to go eat good food. I think with all the alcohol and other recreations students enjoy in college, I don't think a greasy burger is going to do much damage. They have the rest of their lives to worry about their health...

Maybe they aren't healthy, but they are places people want to eat at. Do you think by building 10 vegan restaurants around campus it will force students to eat healthy? Chances are they will just drive further to go eat good food. I think with all the alcohol and other recreations students enjoy in college, I don't think a greasy burger is going to do much damage. They have the rest of their lives to worry about their health...

there is/was a vegan restuarant right next to Euro Gyro. I dont even know the name of it, but I do know Ive never seen anybody in there.