Chipotle/5 Guys to Campus?

I think with all the alcohol and other recreations students enjoy in college, I don't think a greasy burger is going to do much damage. They have the rest of their lives to worry about their health...

In that case, I'll kick around the idea of opening a place on campus that serves lard cones.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no way am I trying to get in the way of a person sinking their teeth into their favorite food, be it a hamburger or a rack of ribs or a snow cone, but healthy eating should be encouraged on a college campus and people really should be educated as far as "food politics" are concerned. What budget do you think farmers have for advertising? Vegetable farmers? Fruit? Grain? Soy? Dairy? Even the "food pyramid" or "food plate" is the result of extensive of lobbying and politics. Most people don't have any idea that what they consume is the result of corporate and political influence. The only reason sugars, snacks, soft drinks and the large amount of fats that have been "recommended" on the food pyramid at all is because of the lobbying power of soft drink and snack food companies. Their advertising budget outweighs real farmers to such a point it is ridiculous. Many students have made a conscious decision to abstain from eating animal products, choosing either vegetarian or vegan diets, or at least try to eat foods that are healthy and just normal basic local foods, myself included. As far as a vegan restaurant next to Europe Gyro, I've never heard of it, otherwise I would have checked it out and given it repeat business if the food was any good. Was this before the remodeling of those stores or after? A LOCAL business trying to promote HEALTHY eating...sounds like a no brainer.

- Has anyone seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? He gets Huntington WV to get behind healthy food initiatives and in 2010, before the initiative, they were the most unhealthy city in the U.S.! He helped to change the lives of a lot of people whose lives were actually at risk because of the unhealthy condition their everyday diet put them in. People did not know that what they were eating was basically poison to them over time. Jamie's Food Revolution Huntington has now set a good example and I think everyone can learn from that.

People need to be educated about food and dietary decisions and there is no better place than during their university years. I have summer classes in West Hall and the only quick "healthy" food option I have on campus is subway in the student union. Subway is ok and all, but that's really not good enough.

If the options on campus are healthy and tasty, I don't see why there should be any problem. Food can taste good and be good for you at the same time.

- Also, I'd encourage everyone to check out the book "Food Politics" by Marion Nestle, it will open your eyes as to how our decisions about the foods we have to "choose" from aren't completely our own.

People need to be educated about food and dietary decisions and there is no better place than during their university years. I have summer classes in West Hall and the only quick "healthy" food option I have on campus is subway in the student union. Subway is ok and all, but that's really not good enough. If the options on campus are healthy and tasty, I don't see why there should be any problem. Food can taste good and be good for you at the same time.
Nice post ZFP.

From one of my favorite new (for me) websites, here is an article on How to Eat Healthy At Chipotle

Has anyone seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? He gets Huntington WV to get behind healthy food initiatives and in 2010, before the initiative, they were the most unhealthy city in the U.S.! He helped to change the lives of a lot of people whose lives were actually at risk because of the unhealthy condition their everyday diet put them in. People did not know that what they were eating was basically poison to them over time. Jamie's Food Revolution Huntington has now set a good example and I think everyone can learn from that.
I've never heard of him before, but watched the first episode on hulu at lunch today. The most unhealthy town is Marshall fans. ;-)

• 6 months later...

figured Id revive this thread...

Im on PennStation's email list and got a notification that the one on Exchange (next to the McD's, across from the new parking deck) is temporarily closing for construction... with this, plus the bookstore being gone, the ghetto phone store gone, and Miracle trophy posting that they've moved, it'd seem as though the plan is moving forward to get something built on that block.

I wouldn't count out it being Qdoba. I wouldn't even mind if it was.

True or it could be a Moe's.

Didn't even notice "printer" as one of the storefronts. Could this mean a move for Kinkos? Just can't see a need for two printing places a block from one another. That would mean that a new building would be going up on the next block to the east. The coffee place is a bit odd, seeing as a Starbucks is already in the Exchange building. Hopefully they won't be moving.

The "subs" is most definitely Penn Station. The sub sandwich market around campus is over-saturated, with two Subways, Penn Station, Hanini's, and Jimmy Johns. Almost all other forms of food are under-represented.

I wonder if Kinkos would make the move. Actually, aren't they a FedEx store now? Maybe a UPS store will move in to compete.

The "subs" is most definitely Penn Station. The sub sandwich market around campus is over-saturated, with two Subways, Penn Station, Hanini's, and Jimmy Johns. Almost all other forms of food are under-represented.

I wonder if Kinkos would make the move. Actually, aren't they a FedEx store now? Maybe a UPS store will move in to compete.

Actually found this

Confirms Penn Station and Chipotle, but unfortunately looks like they are still seeking tenants to fill the rest.

Good find.

I think they won't have any problem finding other tenants with the amount of foot traffic that Chipotle will bring.

This is definitely the right kind of development Exchange street needs. Find a way to put a new basketball Area right with it and that will become an awesome new stretch of campus

This is definitely the right kind of development Exchange street needs. Find a way to put a new basketball Area right with it and that will become an awesome new stretch of campus

Honestly I've been undecided on where I'd prefer the Arena. Now with all the Exchange developments, I think it has to happen there.

I noticed the following in the ABJ article:

University Edge is the fourth project specifically geared toward university students in downtown Akron. Recently, Akron City Council members have questioned whether there was too much housing geared toward students.

Does anyone have a feel for how much of on-campus housing is currently filled? I hope there isn't a miscalculation of how many resident students are in need of housing, and how many are able to afford these kinds of "luxury apartments."

University Edge is the fourth project specifically geared toward university students in downtown Akron. Recently, Akron City Council members have questioned whether there was too much housing geared toward students.

Does anyone have a feel for how much of on-campus housing is currently filled? I hope there isn't a miscalculation of how many resident students are in need of housing, and how many are able to afford these kinds of "luxury apartments."

The demand for on-campus housing does not sirectly correlate to the demand for off-campus housing. if anything, off-campus housing is more in demand thanks to a less restrictive set of rules.

Too much housing for students NEAR CAMPUS? Sorry but having 60 year olds living along exchange wouldn't be good for anyone. If anything there needs to be much more housing around campus. Way too many students live in awful houses south of exchange.

Good. Glad to hear there will be a demand for these near-campus residences. If it helps empty out some of the sub-standard residences, maybe they'll end up getting torn down and more new residences and businesses can be built to help upgrade the neighborhood.

Exactly. Any perceived low demand for off-campus housing comes from students' reluctance to live in 100-year old homes in the ghetto. Replacing them with something modern solves that problem.