Chipotle/5 Guys to Campus?

The only major appreciable downside to these new housing buildings is their price. When I lived south of campus with my friends, it only cost us $300 each per month for rent (there were 3 of us). For a college kid who's making barely over minimum wage working 30 hours a week, thats REALLY affordable. These new buildings are charging something like $900 PER tenant PER month. That isnt cheap, even if youre putting those costs on your student loans

Granted, the current south campus housing is... well... crap, and these new places are awesome by comparison to even my current apartment, its costing the students a LOT more to live there... and there's still something to be said about affordable off-campus housing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only major appreciable downside to these new housing buildings is their price. When I lived south of campus with my friends, it only cost us $300 each per month for rent (there were 3 of us). For a college kid who's making barely over minimum wage working 30 hours a week, thats REALLY affordable. These new buildings are charging something like $900 PER tenant PER month. That isnt cheap, even if youre putting those costs on your student loans

Granted, the current south campus housing is... well... crap, and these new places are awesome by comparison to even my current apartment, its costing the students a LOT more to live there... and there's still something to be said about affordable off-campus housing.

If they keep building, competition will drive the prices down. Right now, modern living space near campus is at a premium.

If they keep building, competition will drive the prices down. Right now, modern living space near campus is at a premium.

The University of Akron is not all that opposed to near campus private development for student housing because they don't have to carry the debt. On the other hand UA knows that students graduate and graduate sooner when they live on campus. Close to campus does not count. If the university so chooses, they may enforce the already existing policy that all freshmen and sophomores must live on campus and that will not include the near campus private development. However, UA wants to work with these private developers and with families, with limited resources who have students living at home and close to campus.

Once these private developers cannot fill some gaps, they will jump at the chance to fill them with section 8 vouchers and that is not what UA wants. UA would rather work with the private developers in this regard than fight with them.

If push comes to shove, UA can always take the private dorms by eminent domain. I am sure UA will try its best to avoid that option, but they have the huevoes to do it if need be.

Also UA is offering Harry Jackson of "The Odd Corner" a price. They cannot take him by ED for the next 12 years but they are trying to give him a sweet heart deal. You can bet that A hole will bilk what he can out of UA. I hear he wants 2.5 million.

• 2 weeks later...
The University of Akron is not all that opposed to near campus private development for student housing because they don't have to carry the debt. On the other hand UA knows that students graduate and graduate sooner when they live on campus. Close to campus does not count. If the university so chooses, they may enforce the already existing policy that all freshmen and sophomores must live on campus and that will not include the near campus private development. However, UA wants to work with these private developers and with families, with limited resources who have students living at home and close to campus.

Once these private developers cannot fill some gaps, they will jump at the chance to fill them with section 8 vouchers and that is not what UA wants. UA would rather work with the private developers in this regard than fight with them.

If push comes to shove, UA can always take the private dorms by eminent domain. I am sure UA will try its best to avoid that option, but they have the huevoes to do it if need be.

Also UA is offering Harry Jackson of "The Odd Corner" a price. They cannot take him by ED for the next 12 years but they are trying to give him a sweet heart deal. You can bet that A hole will bilk what he can out of UA. I hear he wants 2.5 million.

Im not a fan of The Odd Corner, but I dont see why you are calling him an A-hole for getting the most that he can out of his business.

Im not a fan of The Odd Corner, but I dont see why you are calling him an A-hole for getting the most that he can out of his business.

I was of the opinion that Manny was an a-hole for holding up construction of the stadium... but frankly its a smart business move. Your cheap suburban akron property suddenly becomes massively valuable because the University wants it to expand its campus. If any of us were in their positions, we'd all be milking as much as we could from the platter UA is serving up.

I don't begrudge anyone from striking a good business deal for himself. However, he was an A hole for the way he did it. Telling the Plain Dealer initially that he welcomed the deal once he was given an offer by the university, then turning around and going to the ABJ with his picture on the front page crying wolf and spitefully turning his alleged endowment to UA over to Can't State. The Anti-University of Akron beacon Journal ate that slop up like a stinking crow slurps up road kill. He can do whatever he wants with his money but rubbing UA students' faces in the dirt after making a killing off of them in his business was just plain small of the man. He settled out of court and made out like a bandit and then played the victim. Manny did the same thing while using the ethnic (Lebanese) card. Looking out for one's interests does not justify dishonest, exploitative and two-faced behavior. You don't have to agree with me but I see both characters to be dishonest people and therefore A holes.

I noticed the following in the ABJ article:

University Edge is the fourth project specifically geared toward university students in downtown Akron. Recently, Akron City Council members have questioned whether there was too much housing geared toward students.

Does anyone have a feel for how much of on-campus housing is currently filled? I hope there isn't a miscalculation of how many resident students are in need of housing, and how many are able to afford these kinds of "luxury apartments."

University of Akron on-campus housing is at 80% capacity which is the same estimate for 22 Exchange currently. The new private just off-campus housing is creating a dent in on-campus housing. However, UA is not alarmed and is currently working on strategies to remedy that. UA has the upper hand on this one.

University of Akron on-campus housing is at 80% capacity which is the same estimate for 22 Exchange currently. The new private just off-campus housing is creating a dent in on-campus housing. However, UA is not alarmed and is currently working on strategies to remedy that. UA has the upper hand on this one.

Shouldnt be a problem if our enrollment continues to grow, which is our goal obviously. What UA needs to do is require 1st year students to live in on campus housing, which they already do, but there are loopholes around it that I know of many people who have exploited. Also, take notes of other urban universities like OSU and not allow freshman to have a car for the first year. Another alternative is something like Can't State does, which is require their freshman to park away from classrooms at Dix Stadium. Can't runs a bus to the stadium to accommodate for the distance. However, Im not sure if UA has a place like that. Nothing comes to mind right away.

Shouldnt be a problem if our enrollment continues to grow, which is our goal obviously. What UA needs to do is require 1st year students to live in on campus housing, which they already do, but there are loopholes around it that I know of many people who have exploited. Also, take notes of other urban universities like OSU and not allow freshman to have a car for the first year. Another alternative is something like Can't State does, which is require their freshman to park away from classrooms at Dix Stadium. Can't runs a bus to the stadium to accommodate for the distance. However, Im not sure if UA has a place like that. Nothing comes to mind right away.

All very good points. Actually, UA has a policy that requires not only freshmen but sophomores to live on campus. As you well state, there are currently loopholes in that policy and UA may choose to close those if they have to. At this point, they want to be as flexible as possible and may look at other strategies that emphasize influence over force.

http://www.ohio.com/news/university-of-akr...re-inn-1.384571.

The University should have done this from the get-go. There was never a need for Quaker Square to remain a hotel once Nausbaum finally hoisted it off onto UA. If it's not "the end of the world" now then it wasn't "the end of the world" back in 2007. Nausbaum got rid of it for a reason. The mayor staged his huffing and puffing match over nothing and he and the ABJ knew it then as they know it now. Does anyone recall the ABJ editorial condemning UA and defending the mayor? I think they used the loaded language that "city hall was fuming" while the mayor claimed he had no idea about the sale. The reality was and is: there is no market for a downtown hotel. Hopefully, that will change but there hasn't been a market for a downtown hotel for some time now.

http://www.ohio.com/news/university-of-akr...re-inn-1.384571.

The University should have done this from the get-go. There was never a need for Quaker Square to remain a hotel once Nausbaum finally hoisted it off onto UA. If it's not "the end of the world" now then it wasn't "the end of the world" back in 2007. Nausbaum got rid of it for a reason. The mayor staged his huffing an puffing match over nothing and he and the ABJ new it then as they know it now. Does anyone recall the ABJ editorial condemning UA and defending the mayor? I think they used the loaded language that "city hall was fuming" while the mayor claimed he had no idea about the sale. The reality was and is: there is no market for a downtown hotel. Hopefully, that will change but there hasn't been a market for a downtown hotel for some time now.

I never fully understood why the University would agree to only convert it to a partial residence when they purchased the building. I guess in some way they knew down the road they could cut away public access entirely, but it was not a brilliant idea to mix students with the public. It was kind of awkward how the students/public mingled together like that. In the long run, it'll be better served being a full-student residence.

I never fully understood why the University would agree to only convert it to a partial residence when they purchased the building. I guess in some way they knew down the road they could cut away public access entirely, but it was not a brilliant idea to mix students with the public. It was kind of awkward how the students/public mingled together like that. In the long run, it'll be better served being a full-student residence.

UA was trying to placate the mayor even though UA and most reasonable people know that he is full of it. His bullying days are over and it is about time. As one person put it UA finally admitted that the emperor has no clothes. UA will continue to give him free tickets to basketball games and football games in order to feed his grandiosity but in the long run, UA has that jack ass over a barrel as well they should.

UA was trying to placate the mayor even though UA and most reasonable people know that he is full of it. His bullying days are over and it is about time. As one person put it UA finally admitted that the emperor has no clothes. UA will continue to give him free tickets to basketball games and football games in order to feed his grandiosity but in the long run, UA has that jack ass over a barrel as well they should.

The thing about crooks like Plusquellic is they don't die so easy. I'm not so sure he's done yet.

I have a friend who works for 22 Exchange/401 lofts and itd appear those places are in high-demand. With this facility being as close to campus as it will be, Id be amazed if it didnt fill up.

22 Exchange has never been at full capacity. Currently UA has 3,300 students living in UA owned and operated on-campus housing. That will increase a bit once QS is totally converted to all student housing. The privately owned apartments near campus may just be approaching a total of around 800 to 900 students. Also, the not-yet occupied apartments on Cedar will not be exclusively for students. The same will go for additional housing such as University Edge and the projected complex on the footprint of the ABJ garage.

All that said, I remain supportive of both on-campus UA owned housing as well as just off-campus privately owned student housing. They both add to the residential status of UA. No one in their right mind would consider calling a student living at 22 Exchange a commuter student.

All that said, I remain supportive of both on-campus UA owned housing as well as just off-campus privately owned student housing. They both add to the residential status of UA. No one in their right mind would consider calling a student living at 22 Exchange a commuter student.

Yet they still do. UA has a small on-campus population, but thats because there are probably twice that number living in residences theyre renting immediately off campus or within a short walking distance of campus. And since they dont live in UA dorms, theyre considered commuters. Its a very flawed statistic when you look at the number of students living within a half mile of the campus.

Yet they still do. UA has a small on-campus population, but thats because there are probably twice that number living in residences theyre renting immediately off campus or within a short walking distance of campus. And since they dont live in UA dorms, theyre considered commuters. Its a very flawed statistic when you look at the number of students living within a half mile of the campus.

No, they are not commuters nor are they considered commuters. Can't State, OSU, OU and other state university have this same type of "just off campus student housing" and they are not considered commuters at these universities nor are they at UA.

I see another hook being baited... that's nice!

In any event, here is something to consider: Can't State has around 28,000 students enrolled on its main campus and UA has just under 29,000 enrolled at its main campus (does not include either school's branch campuses). Those who live on Can't State's main campus amount to 5,000. Those who live on UA's main campus number a bit above 3,300. At both institutions there are a rather large number of students who live in just off campus housing. That includes everything from brand new private housing developments exclusively for students to slum lord owned rat traps. When you consider both of these populations, I'd say that UA is hardly anymore of a commuter campus than Can't State.

• 4 months later...

While I did spend a lot of time at the Exchange McDonalds during my UA tenure. It's going to look very out of place in a few years. Crazy since it seems like just yesterday that Mcdonalds was the only decent looking building along that street. Guess that shows how far the area has come in a short time. I doubt they can do anything about it now, but I wish we could see another multi-story storefront/building in that place. They could still find a way to incorporate a Mcdonalds in a new building.

While I did spend a lot of time at the Exchange McDonalds during my UA tenure. It's going to look very out of place in a few years. Crazy since it seems like just yesterday that Mcdonalds was the only decent looking building along that street. Guess that shows how far the area has come in a short time. I doubt they can do anything about it now, but I wish we could see another multi-story storefront/building in that place. They could still find a way to incorporate a Mcdonalds in a new building.

I think it will look just fine. The appartments behind it, leading back to Grant residence hall, however...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...