Questions for coach Bowden

"The spread offense that JD Brookhart ran was the "look/look" offense that although the team never huddled they always seemed to use all the time between snaps. Does TD's offense have a desired speed to operate? Do they have an expectation to get a play off every "x" number of seconds? What is that time frame?"

Q: In Coach Bowden's version of the spread, does he like to utilize his QB as a running, dual-threat QB, or as a gunslinger who is just responsible for distributing the ball to the playmakers?

+1

The answer to this question will help give us better insight as to who the starting QB may be.

+1

The answer to this question will help give us better insight as to who the starting QB may be.

Long time no post... Sorry -- been crazy busy with actual work.

I would bet that the answer is that the QB is NOT a dual threat type player. Needs to make good decisions, understand the offense, and most of all - be accurate.

I would bet that the answer is that the QB is NOT a dual threat type player. Needs to make good decisions, understand the offense, and most of all - be accurate.

NZF wow it has been a while many people have been asking about you lately. You have a ton of catching up to do. Glad to have you back!

NZF wow it has been a while many people have been asking about you lately. You have a ton of catching up to do. Glad to have you back!

Will contribute what I can... I still say that if ya'll want to see what the offense will look like, you need to watch the highlight videos from North Alabama LAST season. That is the offense Coach Bowden is implementing.

Isn't it possible to be a dual threat QB who makes good decisions, understands the offense and is accurate?

I still say that if ya'll want to see what the offense will look like, you need to watch the highlight videos from North Alabama LAST season.
I did, and I agree, I didn't see any indication of a "dual threat" QB in the highlights.

Question for coach Bowden: When would you like to decide on your starting QB?

Isn't it possible to be a dual threat QB who makes good decisions, understands the offense and is accurate?

Absolutely it is. Tebow was a great running QB in college. If the average fan was asked, "Was Tim Tebow an accurate passer in the spread offense?", many would say no because they see the sub 50% number from his time in Denver in a pro style offense. However, in his four years in college, he completed 66.7%, 66.9%, 64.4% and 70.1% of his passes in each of his four seasons at Florida. Is it the player or the offense? He made good decisions, understood the offense and was accurate enough to hit wide open guys. The offense can make a good passer great, just like it makes average teams good and good teams great. The spread is the best innovation in football since Paul Brown was coaching.

Armani Edwards (the guy who beat Michigan now playing WR for the Panthers) rushed for 4,361 yards at App State and passed for 10,392. I like to use him as the best example of a dual threat and would love to have a talent like him at QB. I believe he is the only D1 QB to rush for over 4,000 and pass for over 10,000 yards in his career. He will never start a down in the pros. Is it the player or the offense?

In my opinion, the a dual threat QB in a spread offense is the key to reaching a high level of success. For a MAC team, it can be the difference between 7-8 wins and 8-10 wins. I don't want to see the QB run all the time, but the threat needs to be there.

I was wondering if the Zips offense will be more of the "standard" Hal Mumme/Mike Leach spread, or will we be running any of the Holgorsen evolution with the inverted wishbone formations and what not. Oklahoma State continued to run Holgorsen's variation to great success and West Virginia was really clicking by the end of the season. Not that the Texas Tech offense is boring by any means, but Holgorsen has kicked it up a couple of notches.

I am hoping to see a lot of pistol formations in our version of the spread.

Not so much a question for coach Bowden as a request to get the story on some of the new players. Of course, if coach Bowden can tell you, then go for it.

What caused Akron track athlete Phil Ferguson to sign up for the football team? What's up with former Cincinnati RB Quentin Hines?

I was wondering if the Zips offense will be more of the "standard" Hal Mumme/Mike Leach spread, or will we be running any of the Holgorsen evolution with the inverted wishbone formations and what not. Oklahoma State continued to run Holgorsen's variation to great success and West Virginia was really clicking by the end of the season. Not that the Texas Tech offense is boring by any means, but Holgorsen has kicked it up a couple of notches.

I am hoping to see a lot of pistol formations in our version of the spread.

Ding Ding Ding Ding.....

And regarding the question about "can't you be a dual threat QB and accurate, etc....."... Of course you can -- but in Coach Bowden's offense, it is not the JOB of the QB to RUN the ball. It's the QB's job to get the INTO the hands of the guys who can make plays. Very few QBs in the nation that can run a sub 4.5, evade tacklers, and take big hits.

And regarding the question about "can't you be a dual threat QB and accurate, etc....."... Of course you can -- but in Coach Bowden's offense, it is not the JOB of the QB to RUN the ball. It's the QB's job to get the INTO the hands of the guys who can make plays. Very few QBs in the nation that can run a sub 4.5, evade tacklers, and take big hits.

The ability for a QB to run at least some is important in college football. Armani Edwards passed for far more yards than he ran for. So did Tebow. They did a good job of getting the ball to play makers for far more yards than they ran. They were also playmakers themselves.

I think the real question is...are the Zips finally getting new uniforms? Oregon-style!

In all seriousness, like I've said before, I don't care who plays QB. I don't care about previous records, stats, or where they came from. If Bowden picks a QB that he thinks will give us the best chance to win, I trust him! Unlike Ianello, I'll give him 2-years until we start questioning his decisions. He's shown he can win, give it time and trust him!

Thanks, George!

Q: In Coach Bowden's version of the spread, does he like to utilize his QB as a running, dual-threat QB, or as a gunslinger who is just responsible for distributing the ball to the playmakers?

Thanks again, GT!

George, just wanted to thank you for asking this question, getting the answer and working it into your article.

Great stuff!