Questions for coach Bowden

It's the QB's job to get the INTO the hands of the guys who can make plays. Very few QBs in the nation that can run a sub 4.5, evade tacklers, and take big hits.
A couple years back when the wildcat was the flavor of the month in the NFL, a reporter asked coach Arians (Steelers OC at the time) if he was going to use Dennis Dixon in the wildcat formation. Coach Arians answered: "why, when we have faster more elusive players that can break tackles at other positions. There is only one guy that can run the wildcat in the NFL, and that's Ronnie Brown, end of story." I'll never understand why fans want their QB to run the ball.

A couple years back when the wildcat was the flavor of the month in the NFL, a reporter asked coach Arians (Steelers OC at the time) if he was going to use Dennis Dixon in the wildcat formation. Coach Arians answered: "why, when we have faster more elusive players that can break tackles at other positions. There is only one guy that can run the wildcat in the NFL, and that's Ronnie Brown, end of story." I'll never understand why fans want their QB to run the ball.

This is college, not the NFL. Dual-threat QBs are very valuable at this level.

This is college, not the NFL. Dual-threat QBs are very valuable at this level.

IF they are TRULY dual threats -- and there are not very many athletes out there - anywhere - that can run as well as they can throw - or vice versa... Coach Bowden's offense is not that type of offense. He's run different schemes over the years - but one thing has always been consistent... He wants a very smart QB -- one with a "high football IQ" - that understands and is a student of the game.. makes good, quick decisions; has poise under pressure, makes few mistakes, and makes accurate throws. Coach Bowden has had a few of his QBs become pretty dadgum good coaches (Jimbo Fisher, Dameyune Craig, Pat Nix). He wants a "coach" on the field - someone that will know exactly what Coach Bowden wants to see when he sends in the signals. That is a lot more important (to Coach Bowden's philosophy) than a running QB. He'd rather have a couple great RBs instead.

George,

Hope you're feeling/sleeping better and thanks again for keeping the Zip spring football information train running smoothly :wave:

As spring practice is now well past the half-way point, there are two players who's lack of mention has me particularly curious.

The linebacking corps is obviously a source of concern for Coaches Bowden and Amato. I was one of the people calling for Nick Rossi to get switched from FB and I've been somewhat surprised to see him (evidently) get lost in the mix. Is this truly the case? Is he hurt? What can you tell us about the play of #1 on defense this spring?

Tyler Williams is a player who I thought had a chance to shine in Bowden's spread. I figured his quickness and utility would serve him well in this regard. Instead it's been guys like Dee Frieson (scored on a screen pass the distance in yesterday's scrimmage), Zach D'Orazio (before his injury), LT Smith and Price making the plays. What can you tell us about Tyler's play this spring?

Edit: Come to think of it, I haven't heard much from #15 Suel since early this spring either? Is he playing?