OU's Cooper on his way out?

"Cooper hasn’t been happy with the direction of the program for some time" under Groce, but he'd follow Groce to Illinois?

Yes. He's been extremely unhappy with the direction of the program as it headed right into the Sweet Sixteen and nearly the Elite Eight . . . #worstreportingever #keepgettingyourhopesup

"Cooper hasn’t been happy with the direction of the program for some time" under Groce, but he'd follow Groce to Illinois?

Makes no sense to me.

Cooper was disgruntled at the end of last season

Entirely different than "not happy with the direction of the program". From what I gather from people I know down there, Cooper wasn't upset with the program in general, or the way Groce runs it, he was upset with his teammates and how his team performed. Would you expect anything else from him?

This makes a ton of sense if you look at the big picture and the kind of person he seems to be. I'm not saying it will happen but it's very interesting that someone in the know would indicate this is something he's contemplating.

I would say he's more likely to declare for the draft than to transfer.

Also, I have "sources" that have said a myriad of different things about what DJ Cooper might do. People who want him to stay will believe the sources that say he will stay, and people who don't will believe the sources that say otherwise. In all, I'd say there's a 30% chance of him leaving.

I would say he's more likely to declare for the draft than to transfer.

Also, I have "sources" that have said a myriad of different things about what DJ Cooper might do. People who want him to stay will believe the sources that say he will stay, and people who don't will believe the sources that say otherwise. In all, I'd say there's a 30% chance of him leaving.

If this is true, someone should tell him there no longer is a draft for military service.

Most likely scenarios are that Cooper either stays for his senior year at OU under a new coach or follows Groce to Illinois. The NBA is never going to seriously consider him. He's 5'8", rail thin, is only an average passer by NBA standards, has no concept of shot selection and has pretty well already hit his ceiling. Overseas is generally looked at as a last resort option for most U.S. born players. You usually only see them go that route if they have graduated and can't find a spot in the league or if they are unable to qualify for the NCAA out of high school.

I don't know that I buy that Cooper is leaving. I guess I'll believe it when I see it. It would certainly be a blow to the Bobcats, but let's not forget that they have another pretty good PG in the same mold is Cooper waiting on the bench in Stevie Taylor. I'm not saying there wouldn't be a drop-off, but OU would not be left with a huge, un-fillable void at PG if Coop decided to bolt with Groce.

Ohio U fans said Groce would never leave...don't put much stock in their comments on DJ.

I really don't care either way, the MAC is Akron's to lose. Maybe OU backed into the 16, but nothing changes the fact that they finished 3rd in the MAC and only won the championship by 1 point.

OU is loaded with Groce-style players. They'll have a good team next season as long as they have a Groce-style replacement coach. On the other hand, there could be more than one disgruntled player if the new coach tries to bring in a new style of play.

While interesting for Zips fans to follow all the drama in Athens, the Zips team just needs to focus on controlling its own destiny. The Zips return 7 talented, veteran players from the regular rotation, 2 subs with game experience, several promising freshmen and a proven MAC championship coach. With all that stability on the team, the Zips should be favored to represent the MAC in next season's NCAA championship.

No such words in the post. But I'd rather OU have Cooper.

I didn't quote you. I quoted the guy pretending to be a journalist who wrote the article.

It's understandable why most on this board (you do have a few rational ones) want Coop to leave. He's 5-3 in his career against the Zips, including 2-0 when it really matters, and he's never lost to Akron by any more than 5 but has led Ohio to a few routs against Zippy. Next year should feature some absolute wars. Looking forward to it, and hopefully 2 MAC teams into the big dance.

Count me in the camp that wishes Groce had stayed and Cooper will stay (even though I'll never care for his game, and can't see how a guy like Kellogg doesn't want to rip into him every time he launches a 30 footer when better shooters are wide open). I want the Zips to beat the best the MAC has to offer. This year, even though some here think we "should" have won the tournament (as if the Zip talent was head and shoulders above all others, including Ohio), UA came up an eyelash short. I was looking forward to seeing if the Zips could reverse that result in 2012-2013. Nevertheless, I agree that the demise of the Bobcats with Groce in Champaign may be greatly exaggerated. I still think the MAC has a great opportunity for two bids next season.

Only Akron can stop Akron from getting into the big dance next season. I'm not sure what you guys are so worried about.

This is what you should worry about. How many championship games have we lost?