Dambrot says 'yes' to Duquesne this time

The Dunlap guy is still crying about it on twitter. Saying George is lying in his article. Who would know more, a guy who actually spoke with Dambrot or some random radio host in Pittsburgh?

He could be right. I can only go by what Keith told me, but I have little reason to believe he'd lie to me. He never has before. But whether he was offered the job or not is an issue of semantics. He still said NO.

Though, from the first I heard this rumor, I've felt a move from Akron to Duquesne was more than a bit far-fetched, this is still great news and reminds me, yet again, how appreciative I am of KD, his loyalty to Akron and what he's done for UA basketball.

God bless you, KD!

Go Zips!

Source:

Colin Dunlap of 93.7 FM The Fan in Pittsburgh is reporting that current Akron head coach Keith Dambrot has turned down an offer to come coach at Duquesne.

Dambrot, who coached LeBron James at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School has seen a tremendous amount of success at Akron, leading the Zips to two NCAA appearances and six consecutive appearances in the Mid-American Conference Tournament championship.According to Dunlap, Dambrot was offered a seven-year deal that would include a salary in excess of 600k per year and incentives that could have brought that number up to $775k.

The other frontrunner for the job, Kentucky assistant Orlando Antigua has yet to be contacted due to the Wildcats' playing in the FInal Four.

I will add my THANKS to Coach D for remaining at Akron. He has consistently said Akron is his dream job. In a profession where the almighty $ trumps everything it is an amazing committment Coach D has made and continues to make to U of A. If the reports are accurate he turned down a significant raise that multiplied by it's length means he turned down over $1,000,000. I believe when he speaks of committment, the players can really buy in as he practices what he preaches. Thanks Coach D, you are refreshing.

I will add my THANKS to Coach D for remaining at Akron. He has consistently said Akron is his dream job. In a profession where the almighty $ trumps everything it is an amazing committment Coach D has made and continues to make to U of A. If the reports are accurate he turned down a significant raise that multiplied by it's length means he turned down over $1,000,000. I believe when he speaks of committment, the players can really buy in as he practices what he preaches. Thanks Coach D, you are refreshing.

I keep asking everyone if KD really lives by the reasons you mentioned above....or if he wants/has to stay at Akron for other reasons.

I can't find anyone anywhere that has anything but good things to say about the guy. They also mention that his reasons for staying at Akron are genuine.

It's a lot easier to build a winning program in the MAC when you don't have to worry about your coach getting poached everytime he wins 25 games.

KD's loyalty should be applauded. (even though I secretly hope he gets lured away and my Broncos can start beating you guys on a regular basis)

He could be right. I can only go by what Keith told me, but I have little reason to believe he'd lie to me. He never has before. But whether he was offered the job or not is an issue of semantics. He still said NO.

The guy thinks he's a big shot because he was at the final four. Big deal, never heard of him before in my life and I live in western PA. Not to mention he is STILL crying about it on twitter, two days later! Very bitter individual. Must be the Duquesne inferiority complex...

Just saw that Duquesne is making a "second run" at KD. Man, they're desperate.

I actually have a really bad feeling about it now. They must know something, or else why try again? Schools wouldn't just waste their time if they didn't feel there was a legit chance to hire a guy.

I actually have a really bad feeling about it now. They must know something, or else why try again? Schools wouldn't just waste their time if they didn't feel there was a legit chance to hire a guy.

They're trying again because they're out of ideas. Everybody they have approached has said no. All their top targets declined them and they're making one last push before they have to come up with a Plan B.

They're trying again because they're out of ideas. Everybody they have approached has said no. All their top targets declined them and they're making one last push before they have to come up with a Plan B.

Well like I've said before it's a bad gig, and a step down for KD. But still sometimes money will make people make bad decisions! I don't see why they would waste time if they didn't know something...like I said, I got a bad feeling!!

honestly wish they would just give it a rest!

The A-10 is an outstanding league. And KDs father probably has great memories there. That plus a potential 800K . Why not make a second run is what Greg Amodio is probably thinking. But loyalty is in UAs favor. As is the fact that the Plumbo center is 1100 seats SMALLER than the JAR. Smart money says Duquesne hires Antigua on the heals of a NCAA championship

A-10 is a better basketball conference than the MAC. KD wouldn't have football sucking up his funds and if the pay is $600k that is quarter million dollar raise!

The arena is worse than th JAR. The location of the University is terrible. He would be starting from scratch.

I would lose sleep if the offer was made to me. Money and multiple-bid conference would sure make it appealing.

You would be in a city, a CITY!, where you are the third best team in that city. Its hard to get noticed as a 30,000 student university when you are the lone dog on your area, and Duquesne thinks they have any shot at being successful at all with Robert Morris and a future ACC basketball program in their city.

That job is a no brainer, as in, you would have to have no brain to take that job.

He won't take the job because his work here is not done.

When he takes the team to the Sweet Sixteen, we will probably say goodbye.

Because his only path to a final four and nationwide fame is with a big time program and we all know that.

Duquesne is not a path to the final four and he knows it. And when he fails there because they can not recruit A-10 class players to that school, his career will be in a nose dive.

KD is a smart man. A sweet 16 is possible with the talent we have, and that makes him a hot commodity.

He won't take the job because his work here is not done.

When he takes the team to the Sweet Sixteen, we will probably say goodbye.

Because his only path to a final four and nationwide fame is with a big time program and we all know that.

Duquesne is not a path to the final four and he knows it. And when he fails there because they can not recruit A-10 class players to that school, his career will be in a nose dive.

KD is a smart man. A sweet 16 is possible with the talent we have, and that makes him a hot commodity.

Year after year we out-recruit them. Guys like McNees and Zeke both looked at Duquesne too. But in the end they are basically a MAC west level school, in the A10.

I was hoping for a stress-free offseason, but this is getting on my nerves!